The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers” (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:01:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers” (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”  (Read 19162 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« on: September 03, 2020, 05:50:13 PM »

This story is blowing up, and Trump team already out with a denial. He also goes after McCain again. Not gonna help in Arizona...

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »

Can you even imagine if Biden was reported to have said this? The immediate switch from lean Biden to likely Trump?

Republicans are held to the lowest possible standard. They can do absolutely anything and retain 45% of the national vote.

Yep. It would be a weeklong news cycle. This will hopefully make an impact, but I fear it will be a one day and done story.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 05:58:30 AM »

Most people are ignoring the obvious and simple answer here: no, it's not, but it's still *really* bad, and we are 60 days away from Election Day with EV starting today in NC. Trump cannot afford for the news to be negatively focused on him right now. That's the point.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 04:58:22 PM »

Well this certainly now has legs. AP, Wapo *AND* Fox News have now confirmed it.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 05:14:41 PM »

Here's a wake-up call to political nerds across the country: Regular people don't care about the daily "OMG Trump said this Trump said that" outrage. They care a lot more about performance and results (good or bad) as president. If it was about character, he would've never become president and would be losing by a lot more than he is now.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteAlter/status/1301710651690299392

In any event, if "regular people" cared about performance and results, then Trump would be at 25%. Performance and results generally doesn't include having the worst pandemic response among developed nations, 30 million unemployed, and four months of social unrest. These "regular people" are voting for him largely because of racial grievance identity politics.

You are right, though. This won't end up affecting the state of the race, even if there was audio of all this and "sources" going on record. We've had hard evidence of horrible stuff Trump has done and said in the past on record and his supporters ended up justifying it/completely disregarding it.

Not really true though, this was already a bad week for Trump and it just got worse, and any week that goes by now, with 60 days left, where it's a bad week for Trump IS affecting the race, in that it continues to make it harder for him to make a "comeback"
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »

This has more legs than I thought it would.

Well it doesn't help Trump either that his response has been him flailing and now double downing on not just sh**tting all over McCain, but also John Kelly
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »

From The Hill:

"I didn't hear that," Bolton told The New York Times. "I'm not saying he didn't say them later in the day or another time, but I was there for that discussion."

So you have Bolton (sorta) denying that Trump said what was reported -- I say "sorta" because "I didn't hear that" is different from "he never said that".  Then, you have alleged senior officials confirming that he did. 

As of now, it just reinforces that this comes down to a "he said-he said"-type situation.  If you believe he said what was reported, nothing will move you from that position.  Same deal if you don't. 

It's really annoying because I've seen now two outlets pull the "John Bolton said he didn't hear it" but conveniently leave out the part where Bolton added what is a pretty rational and obvious point - He didn't personally hear it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, because Trump obviously could've just said it when Bolton wasn't around.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 02:49:37 PM »

This story is already dead. A dozen named Trump officials denied this as well. None of the msm are talking about it today. Another hit and miss smear campaign by the media arm of the Biden campaign (who just so happened to have an ad ready right when the Atlantic posted its article)

This entire comment is trash and absurd, but if you really think "a dozen Trump officials denying" this would have any impact on it whatosever (what are they gonna do, admit it and say yeah it's true???) then you're just delusional.... but it appears by your comment you are anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies