The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:28:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23
Author Topic: The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”  (Read 19299 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 05, 2020, 02:26:12 AM »

Donald Trump could shoot a U.S. soldier in the middle of Fifth Avenue and he wouldn’t lose any voters.

Donald Trump could shoot a Trump supporter in the middle of Fifth Avenue and that supporter would agree to do a speech at the RNC praising him as the best president ever.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #376 on: September 05, 2020, 02:39:02 AM »

The media seems to be really running with this story, at least for now. If nothing else, it completely erased whatever positive coverage Trump might've gotten for the unemployment numbers. I also think that some of these anonymous sources will come forward, and once one does, others likely will. This could have a "drip, drip" effect over the next couple weeks. But, as always with Trump, who knows?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #377 on: September 05, 2020, 02:45:18 AM »

Bolton says if  the story were true he would have made it a chapter in his book.

The group of GOPers supporting Biden seem like they come from wing that believes CCP will become a pro western capitalist leaning party if we treat them nicely. I suspect that most of them have their hands in the Chinese piggy bank. 

True, both parties have been too pro CCP, helping them join WTO and destroy American manufacturing while yelling Russia (Republicans in 2008 and 2012 and Democrats 2016-present).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #378 on: September 05, 2020, 02:54:59 AM »

What exactly does it mean to be a "pro-military" president? Was George Bush "pro-military" for sending hundreds of Americans off to die for no good reason in Iraq? Was Lyndon Johnson "pro-military" for prolonging the Vietnam War because he was afraid of the blow it'd have to his ego if he pulled out? Was Obama "anti-military" for not starting any major wars? Serious question.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #379 on: September 05, 2020, 03:01:39 AM »

What exactly does it mean to be a "pro-military" president? Was George Bush "pro-military" for sending hundreds of Americans off to die for no good reason in Iraq? Was Lyndon Johnson "pro-military" for prolonging the Vietnam War because he was afraid of the blow it'd have to his ego if he pulled out? Was Obama "anti-military" for not starting any major wars? Serious question.

Obama was the first Nobel Peace Prize winner to bomb 7 countries, including extrajudically assassinating child citizens of his own country in the Yemeni religious war we decided to help Saudi Arabia out with. None of those 19 hijackers were Shia, but I guess we don't like Shia Muslims.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #380 on: September 05, 2020, 03:05:28 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2020, 03:09:51 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Not to go too far off-topic, but just to piggy back on Donerail's post, I think it's important to keep perspective on how pols like Trump have seemingly warped our view of basically any politician who can manage to close their mouth and keep the drool from running down their neck. Let's not rush to give too much credit to politicians who manage to give us the appearance of competency and humility. Lots of governors made terrible mistakes in handling COVID, with a disproportionate imbalance of Republican governors who were eager to please Trump and the COVID-skeptical base. But the fact remains that many of them would have been eager to dig out of the economic mess had they been in Trump's shoes, and very likely would have made rash decisions with dire consequences, not unlike the ones they (and Trump) did in real life.

People like GWB made complete messes of the country despite having administrations that seemed far more efficient and sensible compared to Trump's.

Once you're evil enough, the more efficient people are the greater evil. I mean who is the greater evil, Stalin or some random mass shooter who kills 5 people? Stalin obviously.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #381 on: September 05, 2020, 04:47:19 AM »

Totally different from Access Hollywood '16....

If these comments are accurate (Seem to be well-sourced and confirmed by multiple quality journalists for major media outlets), this could well be the final Nine Inch Nails into the coffin of the Trump 2020 campaign...

1.) He basically just pissed off the entire United States Marine Corps, which is a big no no....   (Active Duty, Retired, Families of Marines, Friends of Marines)

2.) Marines are basically taught on Day I about the history of the USMC continuously, regardless of Rank.

3.) Marines learn the entire history of the Corps from their precursors valiant struggle during the American War for Independence the Continental Marines all the way to the present day...

4.) Certain massive Marine Battles are prominent within the history of the USMC....

5.) The Battle of Belleau Wood, would be considered the first major battle of the United States Marine Corp... with tons of casualties and not only holding a line by breaking through enemy lines, and essentially causing the mobilization of (50) German Divisions from the Russian Front to France, with Paris basically right down the Road...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood

6.) To the present day Marine Members of the US Armed Forces remember the Battle alongside other Historical Battles from even before Iowa Jama...

7.) Screw politics, but Trump's statements might well cause him to lose North Carolina (Home to the 2nd MEF in Fort Bragg Country), which might be enough to flip a non-essential Biden State in '20 to the Atlas Red Side...

8.) Don't mess with the Marines in NC / SC /CA... let alone the family/friends of American Marines over the past Decades and Centuries...

9.) Family side of the House, my wife's Father is a Korean Era Marine (Now Deceased)... son in Law Ex-Marine 1st MEF scheduled to be deployed to Afghanistan out of Camp Pendleton, until he went into a Coma because of the Vac Cocktail they were injecting at the time that triggered a situation where he got an involuntary medical, and we had to spend several thousands of $$$ to visit them in Oceanside, CA.

10.) Iraq War becomes a bit of a trip...  Back in '04 one of my Gal Friends was dating a Marine who had served in the original Mission at the Battle of Haditha Dam as part of the original invasion of Iraq.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Haditha_Dam

11.) Pops back up still dating my Gal Friend at the time on "shore live" shortly before the 2nd Battle of Fallujah....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Fallujah(youtube)https://video.link(/youtube)

12.) Don't wanna totally get into the weeds, but Trump appears to have (If comments are true) to have basically pissed on the entire History of the the Marine Corps.

Best case scenario for Trump: "Worried about a bad hair day with rain"... worst case scenario: "Trump doesn't an eff or is not aware of the proud history of the US Marines" and basically doesn't play well...

Official USMC Lyrics and Post:

Naturally we could go back to Johnny Cash and the Ballad of Ira Hays during the struggles at Iowa Jima

13.) Looks like NC is likely gone for Trump after this gaffe...   

Cumberland County will likely swing hard D in '20 PRES, and if so Military Votes and Vet Votes in a Metro Area Base Town bcs the current President and Commander in Chief once again apparently is dissing the troops from Top Brass to Enlisted Men/Women bcs he is an entitled SOB, who not only dodged the war in 'Nam but additionally bags on WWI and WWII Vets, even after running a hit job on McCain (Airforce 'Nam) back in the dayz....

14.) Trump is a total disgrace when it comes to the Vets and active service members of the USAF...

Trump promised the Vets and Enlisted Men/Women and Military Families that he would protect them from "Re-Ups" from the Bush Jr Iraq era...

Trump promised that he would reform the VA to protect Vets with Medical Trauma issues as a direct result of non-fatal combat casualties caused by Bush Jr Iraq War.

15.) Don't believe Afghanistan and Iraq 2.0 Era vets are getting a single dime under Trump... "Scrooge McDuck)"

16.) The older you get the higher % levels of Military Service or those who are family whom have served....

Trump can hit the crack pipe all he wants to to create a fictional narrative of Americana back in the '50s, but sure as hell don't sound like the realities of my Parents and Grand-Parents...

Totally chill with Biden in 2020 and pretty sure we get a good deal and can negotiate the Progressive Items once we give Trump the boot while the 'Pubs accept the wreckage of their Party and attempt to rebuild following the liquidation of every dissidents that dare to oppose the President, where even after Trump's loss in 2020 he will control the Republican Party as a "Supreme Leader for Life"...

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2020, 07:10:47 AM »

From The Hill:

"I didn't hear that," Bolton told The New York Times. "I'm not saying he didn't say them later in the day or another time, but I was there for that discussion."

So you have Bolton (sorta) denying that Trump said what was reported -- I say "sorta" because "I didn't hear that" is different from "he never said that".  Then, you have alleged senior officials confirming that he did. 

As of now, it just reinforces that this comes down to a "he said-he said"-type situation.  If you believe he said what was reported, nothing will move you from that position.  Same deal if you don't. 
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »

It's always hilarious to see leftists pretend to understand the Yemeni Civil War, which is almost as complicated as the Syrian Civil War.  You guys watched some ten minute YouTube video that blamed every single death on Barack Obama and now you whip it out as a trump card in every conversation.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2020, 08:03:19 AM »

More 'anonymous' sources from legacy media. They are the enemy of the people.

"The media is not your friend"
-CNN's Chris Cuomo

These anonymous sources seem credible. This article is a good guide to the topic. There are multiple sources, they are specific claims about a past event. They're not just saying it is "people familiar with Trump's thinking" but someone within a smaller subset of people that would be close to Trump and Kelly and so should be accurate. The denial is mixed, while it does say it is false it also deflects to other issues and doesn't explain why Trump cancelled his visit to the cemetery or why the other specific claims are false. So this story is credible and should be accurate.
Yes. Believe the legacy media, that have been proven to be liars and have ties to the DNC.

They are really going all out with the bs smears this week. Must be worried.

It's a pretty weak argument to just handwave away criticism of your candidate. Plus, Trump is a proven liar himself.
You need to prove your claim. I don't have to prove Trump didn't say that. Anonymous sources are not credible. End of story.

Innocent until proven guilty is for the courts, not elections. Trump very likely did say this. Beyond this being a very credible report, this is a guy who publicly said that "I like people that weren't captured" to say McCain wasn't a war hero because he was captured. How hard is it to believe he also doesn't regard those who die in war as real war heroes?
To be clear, if there was a similar article for anyone else with anonymous sources I wouldn't believe it.

Trump has shown nothing but respect to the troops. McCain attacked him first, and being a 'war hero' doesn't put you above criticism. Also, telling the enemy all of our secrets as McCain did, makes him much less than a war hero. And you still have not shown any evidence.

Once again, do you really think the Atlantic would make up a story like this and risk not just their reputation but their careers and entire business. If so, why?

I certainly do believe that.  Donald Trump is a public figure.  He cannot sue them for libel.  They can say and do what they wish and not worry about a thing.  The editor of the Atlantic is in far more danger of losing his job if he sanctioned a pro-Trump article, or even an article defending Trump against unfair criticism. 

Look what has happened to the Philadelphia Inquirer editor who ran the "Buildings Matter" headline:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/06/philadelphia-inquirer-editor-resigns-buildings-matter-too

Look what happened to Bari Weiss at the NYT:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bari-weiss-quits-new-york-times-bullying

Editors' reputations are on the line today for not subscribing to a sufficient amount of the Woke Agenda.  This is the new media.  And the primary point of the Woke Agenda is to drive Trump from office no matter what.  "Risking your reputation and your career and your entire business" in editing and publishing isn't what it used to be. 

There is cover in the media for all things negative about Trump because America now has an Activist Media and not an Objective Media.  Please don't say that this is bogus.  Even the leftist media doesn't really deny this; they defend it because Trump is the worst thing since Jock Itch to immobilize an entire people.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #385 on: September 05, 2020, 08:35:58 AM »

It's always hilarious to see leftists pretend to understand the Yemeni Civil War, which is almost as complicated as the Syrian Civil War.  You guys watched some ten minute YouTube video that blamed every single death on Barack Obama and now you whip it out as a trump card in every conversation.
Also, every single president since World War II has ordered bombing raids that killed civilians (except MAYBE Jimmy Carter). Before drones, it was smart bombs, and before smart bombs, it was B-52s carpet-bombing villages. I find it a little weird that Obama is the ONLY president Leftists ever call out for this, especially since he was far from the worst on this front.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #386 on: September 05, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »

Pro military means you hug flags and say you love soldiers.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »

This has more legs than I thought it would.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »

This has more legs than I thought it would.

Well it doesn't help Trump either that his response has been him flailing and now double downing on not just sh**tting all over McCain, but also John Kelly
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »

The Trump supporters in this thread are hypocritical cultists with zero moral compass beyond supporting dear leader.
That’s not gonna stop us regardless.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #390 on: September 05, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »

The Trump supporters in this thread are hypocritical cultists with zero moral compass beyond supporting dear leader.
That’s not gonna stop us regardless.

This is why Trumpism is a cult and not a serious political philosophy or a vision for the country. If Obama said something like this or attacked Gold Star families, I would have abandoned him. And I believe I'm speaking for most red avatars or most Dems here.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #391 on: September 05, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #392 on: September 05, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #393 on: September 05, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »

Imagine the president of another country publicly demanding from a TV station to fire one of its reporters because he didn't like what she said. Even Erdogan and Lukashenko are more subtle than that. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #394 on: September 05, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »

From The Hill:

"I didn't hear that," Bolton told The New York Times. "I'm not saying he didn't say them later in the day or another time, but I was there for that discussion."

So you have Bolton (sorta) denying that Trump said what was reported -- I say "sorta" because "I didn't hear that" is different from "he never said that".  Then, you have alleged senior officials confirming that he did. 

As of now, it just reinforces that this comes down to a "he said-he said"-type situation.  If you believe he said what was reported, nothing will move you from that position.  Same deal if you don't. 

It's really annoying because I've seen now two outlets pull the "John Bolton said he didn't hear it" but conveniently leave out the part where Bolton added what is a pretty rational and obvious point - He didn't personally hear it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, because Trump obviously could've just said it when Bolton wasn't around.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »

John McCain (1936-2018), proponent of the Radical Left
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #396 on: September 05, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »

John McCain (1936-2018), proponent of the Radical Left

"Build the wall" = radical right
"Finish the dang fence" = radical left
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #397 on: September 05, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »

He STILL can't get John McCain out of his head. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #398 on: September 05, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »

He STILL can't get John McCain out of his head. 

McCain got under Trump's skin in a lasting way, a way that very few other figures Trump has lashed out at have managed. (Obama himself perhaps is the only other big example.) I don't know enough about McCain to have a firm theory on why, exactly, but maybe it has to do with repudiation from someone who was seen as a national hero even by people who disliked him.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #399 on: September 05, 2020, 12:22:41 PM »

If you ever needed proof that Nikki Haley isn't Presidential material...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies