NY-23 Special Election: November 3, 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:28:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-23 Special Election: November 3, 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: NY-23 Special Election: November 3, 2009  (Read 116643 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: November 04, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »

We actually had a discussion about this in my College Repub group a couple weeks ago - why we're performing terribly in the Northeast - and it's because Palin Repubs come in and don't like the Vermont/NY/ME-style Repubs and characterize them as RINOs.  Heck - if you vote with the party 50.000001% of the time - even if it's only 1 vote more with the party than with the Dems - I'll take you over a hard core Dem.

Actually voting with the party 50% of the time would be a lot more than a 1 vote difference over a 0% hardcore Democrat.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #626 on: November 04, 2009, 02:02:12 AM »

We actually had a discussion about this in my College Repub group a couple weeks ago - why we're performing terribly in the Northeast - and it's because Palin Repubs come in and don't like the Vermont/NY/ME-style Repubs and characterize them as RINOs.  Heck - if you vote with the party 50.000001% of the time - even if it's only 1 vote more with the party than with the Dems - I'll take you over a hard core Dem.

Actually voting with the party 50% of the time would be a lot more than a 1 vote difference over a 0% hardcore Democrat.

He said if it's only one more vote for the Republican side than the Democrat side. Not what you said.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #627 on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:08 AM »

Folks, just as a minor point - there could be notable differences between incumbent challenges and open-seat elections right now.

It would explain a lot.

the Democrats are still straddled with that rotten egg known as VA though.

but that's a great point. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #628 on: November 04, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »

Folks, just as a minor point - there could be notable differences between incumbent challenges and open-seat elections right now.

It would explain a lot.

Well, as I noted above, I still think the South/Appalachia is acting differently than the rest of the country right now.  That would explain Virginia.

Just how much differently I don't know.  But at present, today's results do not signal a wave forming, outside of the South/Appalachia, where the possibility of a regional wave is a good bit stronger.

Expect my House/Senate rankings to take this into account.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #629 on: November 04, 2009, 02:19:52 AM »

My point was - I'll take whoever sides with me more, even if it's only by 1 vote out of 1,000.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #630 on: November 04, 2009, 02:25:51 AM »

I know what you meant, but I was simply pointing out that 50% [what most activists find unacceptable] is actually a hell of a lot if the alternative is likely 0%.

It would explain a lot.

Well, as I noted above, I still think the South/Appalachia is acting differently than the rest of the country right now.  That would explain Virginia.

Just how much differently I don't know.  But at present, today's results do not signal a wave forming, outside of the South/Appalachia, where the possibility of a regional wave is a good bit stronger.

I assume McDonnell still demolished Deeds in the more Northern-oriented suburbs and whatnot too.  But Deeds actual margin of victory was exaggerated by a demoralized base and poorly run campaign.

If you're right, the GOP will have solid shots at both West Virginia and Arkansas (the former is obviously assuming something, but they have a decent candidate waiting in the wings in WV), and is not in as much trouble in LA, NC, KY, MO, etc.  Florida...I'm not sure how that figures this late at night due to the GOP primary.  My suspicion is that Rubio would beat Meek even if he is successful in primarying Crist. 

I'll tell you what though, Chris Dodd isn't going to like those results in New Jersey tonight.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #631 on: November 04, 2009, 02:28:42 AM »

I know what you meant, but I was simply pointing out that 50% [what most activists find unacceptable] is actually a hell of a lot if the alternative is likely 0%.

It would explain a lot.

Well, as I noted above, I still think the South/Appalachia is acting differently than the rest of the country right now.  That would explain Virginia.

Just how much differently I don't know.  But at present, today's results do not signal a wave forming, outside of the South/Appalachia, where the possibility of a regional wave is a good bit stronger.

I assume McDonnell still demolished Deeds in the more Northern-oriented suburbs and whatnot too.  But Deeds actual margin of victory was exaggerated by a demoralized base and poorly run campaign.

If you're right, the GOP will have solid shots at both West Virginia and Arkansas (the former is obviously assuming something, but they have a decent candidate waiting in the wings in WV), and is not in as much trouble in LA, NC, KY, MO, etc.  Florida...I'm not sure how that figures this late at night due to the GOP primary.  My suspicion is that Rubio would beat Meek even if he is successful in primarying Crist. 

I'll tell you what though, Chris Dodd isn't going to like those results in New Jersey tonight.

The New Jersey results were really more anti-Corzine than anything else.  If you look down ballot, Democrats pretty much held steady. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #632 on: November 04, 2009, 02:30:23 AM »

50.01% is always acceptable when the alternative is 49.99%.

Now, would I like it to be 100% (with my views, not the party's - since I differ with the party on several issues)?  Sure.  Will that ever happen? No.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2009, 03:10:57 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 03:58:49 AM by cinyc »

Scozzafava's support in the unofficial results may have been transposed or aggregated with Hoffman or Owens' in at least 3 Monroe County and 1 Jefferson County precincts - the two counties where precinct-level data is available.  For example, it's unlikely she received 154 votes in Wilna 21-05 (Jefferson) when her next highest total in any Jefferson precinct was 36.  Ditto Sullivan-02, Fenner and Hamilton-03 (Madison), where she supposedly received 251, 248 and 79 votes, respectively, despite not receiving more than 36 votes in the rest of the county.  Hoffman supposedly received 0 votes in those precincts.

Assuming those votes are Hoffman's, that would net him 725 votes (he supposedly received 7 votes in Wilna 21-05).

In Jefferson County, Hoffman also supposedly received 0 votes in Alexandria (02-03), Leray (11-05),  Philadelphia (16-02), Watertown City (13-02) and Watertown City (14-02).  I doubt that.  Lyme (13-01) hasn't reported, despite the AP claiming county results are all-in.

Unless this pattern persists in other counties, the result won't change.  But Hoffman's tally should go up a bit at the expense of Scozzafava - at least until absentees are added.

I'm still trying to unravel the Hamilton and Fulton county mysteries - where Scozzafava received double-digit support.  Neither county's website separately reports results - so all we have is the AP tally.  AP reports 20/24 precincts reporting in Fulton, yet turnout would be an abysmal 13.78% if true.  Maybe the largest towns are still out.  

According to the APs tally, the percentage turnout in Hamilton County actually slightly exceeded 2006 CD turnout, which is a bit bizarre.  It's the only county where that's true so far.  Perhaps they've already counted absentees.  It's a very small county.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #634 on: November 04, 2009, 03:12:05 AM »

It would explain a lot.

Well, McDonnell did get 52% in Fairfax County and, as I pointed out before, the map looks scary similar to another historical map.  In other words, it feels like Independent/moderate movement to me

2009 PRELIMINARY

MYSTERY MAP

How much better do you think a properly-run Dem campaign could have gotten in terms of # of votes and %?  

In raw numbers, the actual number of voters who turned out is likely going to be exactly the same as 2005 - 2.1 million.  

There is some slight variation in the numbers - more voters turned out in Republican-leaning exurb counties than in Democratic-leaning center cities, but I doubt any additional turnout a la 2005 would amount to more than a couple of percent statewide, at most.  Coal country turnout was awful compared to 2005, but that doesn't matter in the numbers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

WV isn't up next year.  I already think Lincoln is probably dead in the water.  I am generally unsure on my Appalachia observation - it just feels like that is what is going on, but it could just be low turnout.  I want a special Congressional election before being sure.  I am dead sure on the South, especially the rural South.

Another point of observation to watch now that I think of it - formerly GOP suburbs in the South and Southwest that moved to the Dems during the 2005-2008 period (especially the South).  Pretty much all suburbs in VA would fall into this category.  This would also mean - watch Colorado and Nevada (maybe New Mexico too).

I agree on Chris Dodd.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #635 on: November 04, 2009, 03:26:05 AM »

More of St. Lawrence in. Updated figures:

Owens: 49.4%
Hoffman: 45.0%
Dede: 5.6%
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2009, 03:43:39 AM »

This explains the low Fulton County numbers:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #637 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:42 AM »

Last snapshot tonight, with 92.86% in (or likely, less - I don't believe the AP's claim that 83% of Fulton County is in with 13.8% turnout):

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #638 on: November 04, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »

it just feels like that is what is going on, but it could just be low turnout.

Well in practice there may not be a massive difference between sharp swings of actual voters and depressed turnout - especially if the latter holds as a medium-term pattern (though it's too early to say on that, obviously) - even if the emotions behind the two are quite different.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #639 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »

Anyway - this result is a bit of a relief, really.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2009, 08:27:19 AM »

and they barely have any places left that could be called their strongholds in New England.
They have two places left that could be called their strongholds in New England. Darien. And New Canaan.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #641 on: November 04, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »

One other thing - the GOP is performing much better in various local level races in NY than expected.  I see a lot of strength for them in that department, fwiw, not just in NY.

Interesting, the NY GOP is obviously not in the  same boat as Glenn Beck and understands that you need to localize your candidates when swimming upstream

True, except a number of the races I'm watching locally (along with Smash) were not supposed to be competitive, so it may be something that goes beyond candidate.  

For example, Suozzi being in danger is not on anyone's radar that I know of.  If he lost, it would be akin to a localized Republican wave (yes I know Nassau County's historic predilections, but still)

What races are you refering to beyond the Nassau executive and Westchester's?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »

and they barely have any places left that could be called their strongholds in New England.
They have two places left that could be called their strongholds in New England. Darien. And New Canaan.

Ok. Proves the point.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #643 on: November 04, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »

Ok. Proves the point.
That was my intention. Smiley
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »

check into acorn activity here before counting your chickens
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #645 on: November 04, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 11:08:03 AM by ChrisJG777 »

Nice try, but the people of NY-23 aren't quite as batshit insane as your persona would like them to be.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #646 on: November 04, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »

It's not scheduled to be up next year, but there may be a special election to complete a current senator's term, I think Lunar was suggesting.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #647 on: November 04, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

I expected actually a squirrel joke but I guess that's asking too much from a lobotomized zombie like you.
ill ind

« Reply #648 on: November 04, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »

"check into acorn activity before counting your chickens"

What you are now seeing is the birth of the new right-wing excuse for losing elections.  After all the majority of the voters are on their side (snark) so they couldn't have legitimately lost--therefore it's acorn's fault.  After all iit couldn't be their views on the issues, or their candidate, or their style of politicking.  Has to be someone else's fault!!  whatever!!!

Ill Ind
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: November 04, 2009, 02:29:14 PM »

One other thing - the GOP is performing much better in various local level races in NY than expected.  I see a lot of strength for them in that department, fwiw, not just in NY.

Interesting, the NY GOP is obviously not in the  same boat as Glenn Beck and understands that you need to localize your candidates when swimming upstream

True, except a number of the races I'm watching locally (along with Smash) were not supposed to be competitive, so it may be something that goes beyond candidate.  

For example, Suozzi being in danger is not on anyone's radar that I know of.  If he lost, it would be akin to a localized Republican wave (yes I know Nassau County's historic predilections, but still)

What races are you refering to beyond the Nassau executive and Westchester's?

Republicans actually picked up a few seats on the NYC Council in Queens.  Republicans took back control of the Nassau County Legislature as well.  And there were a bunch of hyper-local town supervisors/mayors and boards that switched from Democrat to Republican control in Westchester County.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies