NY-23 Special Election: November 3, 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:42:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-23 Special Election: November 3, 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Author Topic: NY-23 Special Election: November 3, 2009  (Read 116645 times)
ajc0918
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 03, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »

For once I agree with Sam. Their beloved teabagger candidate is going to lose in a district that the Republicans have held for decades. They can defeat all the unpopular governors they want (and the Democrats will surely pick off some unpopular GOP incumbents as well), but if they can't hold on to a seat like this they're not going to retake the House next year.

See Louisiana 2nd congressional district.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #551 on: November 03, 2009, 11:01:47 PM »

I'm losing hope.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #552 on: November 03, 2009, 11:02:28 PM »

WTH. Fulton is mostly in - and Scozzafava gets 14% there. The core Republican areas are core big-R Republican, not Conservative.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #553 on: November 03, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »

WTH. Fulton is mostly in - and Scozzafava gets 14% there. The core Republican areas are core big-R Republican, not Conservative.

The Rockefellers are rebelling, bless them!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #554 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:09 PM »

You should. It's essentially over.

PPP unleashed a Pennsylvania Democratic Presidential Primary of '08 level fu ckup over here.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #555 on: November 03, 2009, 11:05:23 PM »

72.73%+ (Probably all of Essex - or close to it)

Owens 49.00%   
Hoffman 45.28%
Scozzafava 5.71%   

Still stable.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #556 on: November 03, 2009, 11:05:32 PM »

Well, at least the true yank vote might be up for grabs in the Upstate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #557 on: November 03, 2009, 11:06:35 PM »

For once I agree with Sam. Their beloved teabagger candidate is going to lose in a district that the Republicans have held for decades. They can defeat all the unpopular governors they want (and the Democrats will surely pick off some unpopular GOP incumbents as well), but if they can't hold on to a seat like this they're not going to retake the House next year.

You might want to reconsider that statement, unless you seriously want to compare Hoffman to William Jefferson.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #558 on: November 03, 2009, 11:06:54 PM »

Probably people just voting for the party ID
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #559 on: November 03, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2009, 11:09:30 PM by Karma Police »

Not only this but they really didn't make as many gains as expected in the legislatures of NJ and VA. The only reason why the GOP did about as good as expected in Virginia is because of Deeds and a few moderate candidates that basically campaigned as Democrats(correct me if I'm wrong NOVA residents).

So the Republicans fumbled the ball in New York two times this year and showed that they are going to have big difficulties in upstate New York and New England in 2010.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #560 on: November 03, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »

Let's not exaggerate.  Knocking off a moderate [or at least perceived as a moderate] candidate with a candidate who doesn't know or care about the local issues of the district, and having the moderate candidate endorse the Democrat has usually ended up in Democratic pickups.  

Reminds me of the Gilchrest-Kratovil-Harris fiasco.  Harris was actually from the district though, even if barely so.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #561 on: November 03, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »

Or maybe they genuinely have no love for authoritarian conservatism, of the sort you and Hoffman peddle?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #562 on: November 03, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »

Kind of a bittersweet night for Republicans.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #563 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »

I think you're confusing LA-2 with LA-6.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #564 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »

yeah candidate that showed up a little bit later, that is kind of un-charismatic, doesent live in the district, and has scozzafava taking more of a percentage than the differance between owens ond Hoff is lsing. the GOP must be on the brink of collapse...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #565 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »

Let's not exaggerate.  Knocking off a moderate [or at least perceived as a moderate] candidate with a candidate who doesn't know or care about the local issues of the district, and having the moderate candidate endorse the Democrat has usually ended up in Democratic pickups.  

Reminds me of the Gilchrest-Kratovil-Harris fiasco.  Harris was actually from the district though, even if barely so.

The key thing, this district might be holdable by the Dems. Some work is required, surely, but a moderate incumbent (hopefully, on the Armed Services) would have a decent chance.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #566 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

Somewhere Newt Gingrich is chuckling.

Sarah Palin, you're still a dumbass.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #567 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »

Which leads one to believe that little has changed since 2008.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #568 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:56 PM »

Yes. But unless you believe they haven't switched on a radio in 72 hours, they are doing this because they are very unhappy.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #569 on: November 03, 2009, 11:19:59 PM »

Nah.  Both Hamilton and Fulton counties are in the Albany DMA (TV market).  I doubt the race received as much attention there as in the Watertown, Syracuse and Plattsburgh/Burlington TV market.  Many voters may not have even known that Dede dropped out. 

It's probably the same pattern we saw in NY-20, where the counties not in the Albany DMA had significantly lower turnout.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #570 on: November 03, 2009, 11:21:48 PM »

Somewhere Newt Gingrich is chuckling.

He's not the only one.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #571 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »

Which leads one to believe that little has changed since 2008.

the populists have gotten louder and better organized, not more numerous, certainly not in the North Country
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #572 on: November 03, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »

Doesn't matter.  The actual numbers tell the tale - they always do.  That being said, a lot of Dede's voters look like Republicans who didn't get the memo.  Means the race would have been about 50-50 in the end, which is what this district is at the moment (PVI-wise)

I don't read too much into governor's races, honestly, on a national level.  But here's what I would say.

With Christie and the NJ Assembly, the answer is obvious.  The undecideds/Daggett's swung for him but still lack confidence in his abilities.  Henceforth, the voters make sure there's enough Democratic representation to counterbalance.

With McDonnell, my guess would be that the voters want to limit his mandate also.  However, his race looks awful similar to George Allen 1993.

Which is the reason why I said - generic R 2009 = generic R 2008, except for South and Appalachia.  But I would have said that after LA-04 and GA Sen.

BTW, don't knock PPP on polling - the rest of their results tonight are looking quite respectable except here and remember 1 in 20.

One other thing - the GOP is performing much better in various local level races in NY than expected.  I see a lot of strength for them in that department, fwiw, not just in NY.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #573 on: November 03, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »

76.30% in:

Owens 49.07%   
Hoffman 45.35%
Scozzafava 5.58%   

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #574 on: November 03, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »

81.33% in-
Owens 49.12%      
Hoffman 45.37%
Scozzafava 5.51%

With mainly St. Lawrence out, Hoffman's done.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies