Will anybody run in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 06:49:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will anybody run in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will anybody run in 2012?  (Read 2816 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »

Discuss please.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:30:10 AM »

Someone will run, perhaps as a dress rehearsal for 2016.

Obama is not a shoo-in yet. Some things could yet happen:

1. A criminal deed (Spiro T. Agnew).

2. A catastrophic bungle of a military adventure.

3. A second economic tailspin. (He can get away with a slow recovery).

4. Hyperinflation

5. A sex scandal, especially with a white, Asian, or Hispanic woman.
All of these have a non-zero chance, and any of these would wreck his Presidency.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:30:30 AM »

Someone will run, perhaps as a dress rehearsal for 2016.

Obama is not a shoo-in yet. Some things could yet happen:

1. A criminal deed (Spiro T. Agnew).

2. A catastrophic bungle of a military adventure.

3. A second economic tailspin. (He can get away with a slow recovery).

4. Hyperinflation

5. A sex scandal, especially with a white, Asian, or Hispanic woman.
All of these have a non-zero chance, and any of these would wreck his Presidency.

That would do waaaaayy more than wreck his Presidency. Michelle seems like the kind of woman you don't f#$k with (I mean metaphorically).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:19 AM »

Funny you should ask.  Because today I would like to announce the formation of an exploratory committee, "Exploring Mr. Morden for President 2012".  I would be happy to enumerate the reasons why I should be America's next president.  But first, I have to go spend 5 days on a bush walk in Western Australia.  I'm sure my exploratory committee will get by fine without me until I return.

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:08:48 AM »

Funny you should ask.  Because today I would like to announce the formation of an exploratory committee, "Exploring Mr. Morden for President 2012".  I would be happy to enumerate the reasons why I should be America's next president.  But first, I have to go spend 5 days on a bush walk in Western Australia.  I'm sure my exploratory committee will get by fine without me until I return.

I'll support you. Where in America do you want your new birth certificat to say you were born? I here Hawaii is popular these days.

(I assume you were really born in Australia)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:29:08 AM »

Palin, Barbour, Romney, Huckabee and Pawlenty will probably run, at least from the perspective of this exact moment in time. Maybe Jindal too, although he'll probably wait until 2016.

There are several Republican governors termed out that could run: Bob Riley, Sonny Perdue, Mike Rounds, and Don Carcieri.

Maybe one or two no-name Senators jump in, like Johnny Isakson, John Barasso, Bob Corker, or Mike Johanns. I would bet Thune would wait until 2016 if he were to run.

And of course, there's always a quixotic bid from a House member. Ron Paul again, maybe, or Mike Pence.

There are always plenty of candidates from the opposition, even when it's a hopeless cause like 1996 or 1984.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2009, 07:42:12 AM by Mr. Morden »

Hey, don't forget Dirk Kempthorne:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/01/kempthorne_in_2012.php

He is on track to become the Jim Gilmore of the 2012 field.

And of course Gary Johnson might be looking to become the Ron Paul of 2012:

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/news.php

I'll support you. Where in America do you want your new birth certificat to say you were born? I here Hawaii is popular these days.

(I assume you were really born in Australia)

Nope, I'm American.  I've only lived in Australia for ~9 months or so.  However, if you want to start a rumor that I was actually born in Australia, that might add to the presidential intrigue.

I would also like to start a rumor that Lunar was born in Australia, as his avatar change looks rather suspicious.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »

And of course Gary Johnson might be looking to become the Ron Paul of 2012:

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/news.php

Somebody give me a Hell Yeah!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:42:46 AM »

Oh is that anything like "Walking the Appalachian Trail". Cheesy
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »

Oh they will run since there are no signs our economy is actually improving. This will be a huge albatross around Obama's neck as things continue to slide, especially after passing the useless stimulus package.
DS0816
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »

I think the Republican nominee with be a runner-up. A 2008 runner-up. That's been a theme for the last 30 years (roughly). Go for a candidate who did not quite get there the last time. So that narrows to Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »

Mike Huckabee will run, Satan (Romney) will run, probably Kempthorne, and a couple other random Congressman will run as well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »

Oh is that anything like "Walking the Appalachian Trail". Cheesy

Of course.  That was the (attempted) joke.  I'm not really going to Western Australia, duh.  (I am going to Melbourne in a little over a week, that'll be as far west in Australia as I've ever been.)

Patriot
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »

Huckabee left the 2008 race with so much momentum, I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which he doesn't run.  The only problem is he doesn't stand a chance against Obama.  I don't think Romney does either.  If someone really wants to challenge Obama, it has to be Eric Cantor or Ron Paul.  Those are the only two viable options.  I don't know who I'd vote for if Cantor ran against Obama, though.  I hope Ron Paul can light a fire under the GOP's ass.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 02:35:27 PM »

People I'm sure will run 80-100% Sad

Mitt Romney
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Haley Barbour

People who I THINK will run 50%-60%

Dick Kempthrone
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Newt Gingrich
Rudy Giuliani

People who will NEVER run 10-20%

Eric Cantor
Mitch Daniels
Charlie Crist
Fred Thompson
John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jeb Bush
Any other Bush
Mike Huckabee
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

Mitt Romney
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Haley Barbour

Dick Kempthrone
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Newt Gingrich
Rudy Giuliani

Eric Cantor
Mitch Daniels
Charlie Crist
Fred Thompson
John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jeb Bush
Any other Bush
Mike Huckabee

Giuliani won't run. I thought he was trying to run for Governor of New York.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »

Huckabee left the 2008 race with so much momentum, I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which he doesn't run.  The only problem is he doesn't stand a chance against Obama.  I don't think Romney does either.  If someone really wants to challenge Obama, it has to be Eric Cantor or Ron Paul.  Those are the only two viable options.  I don't know who I'd vote for if Cantor ran against Obama, though.  I hope Ron Paul can light a fire under the GOP's ass.

Paul is in his seventies he would be the oldest man to ever run for President in 2012. I would not vote for him either, his radical libertarianism is as unappealing as Hucks religious zeal. Eric Cantor is a brilliant guy but he screwed up when he bowed down to King Rush, he is also one of the most conservative members in the House, he would unite the base and remind us what Conservatisim is but he would be lucky to get 45% of the popular vote, and he would definately get creamed in his own Virginia. Plus House members don't go very far. The last House member elected to the White House was James Garfield in 1880 and he only got it cause his keynote address at the GOP convention was stellar and with a brokered convention and delegates not thrilled with a third term(albeit non-consecutive) for Grant, who was the front runner, they gave Garfield a strong showing on the first ballot and after a few more he was nominated.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »

Jim DeMint
Dirk Kempthorne
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Mitt Romney
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 11:34:07 PM »

Paul is in his seventies he would be the oldest man to ever run for President in 2012. I would not vote for him either, his radical libertarianism is as unappealing as Hucks religious zeal. Eric Cantor is a brilliant guy but he screwed up when he bowed down to King Rush, he is also one of the most conservative members in the House, he would unite the base and remind us what Conservatisim is but he would be lucky to get 45% of the popular vote, and he would definately get creamed in his own Virginia. Plus House members don't go very far. The last House member elected to the White House was James Garfield in 1880 and he only got it cause his keynote address at the GOP convention was stellar and with a brokered convention and delegates not thrilled with a third term(albeit non-consecutive) for Grant, who was the front runner, they gave Garfield a strong showing on the first ballot and after a few more he was nominated.

Paul a radical libertarian? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Ron Paul is a paleoconservative masquerading his policies and ideas as "libertarian". To imply he is a radical libertarian is very laughable considering he isn't even a real libertarian. He only uses the label "libertarian" so people don't question his connections with white nationalists and racists.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 02:18:59 AM »

Mitt Romney
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Haley Barbour

Dick Kempthrone
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Newt Gingrich
Rudy Giuliani

Eric Cantor
Mitch Daniels
Charlie Crist
Fred Thompson
John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jeb Bush
Any other Bush
Mike Huckabee

Why are you conviced that Huckabee won't run?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 12:18:12 PM »

Paul is in his seventies he would be the oldest man to ever run for President in 2012.

Mike Gravel would like a word with you.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 03:56:59 PM »

I think the Republican Primaries in 2012 could just be Romney aganist a few random congressmen that no one has ever heard of i.e. Tom Tancredo, Duncan Hunter etc.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »

Cantor and Paul about as far apart politically as one could get.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »

Besides Obama and Biden obviously running for re-election...

Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee
Sarah Palin
Haley Barbour
Tim Pawlenty

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

Mitt Romney
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Haley Barbour

Dick Kempthrone
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Newt Gingrich
Rudy Giuliani

Eric Cantor
Mitch Daniels
Charlie Crist
Fred Thompson
John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jeb Bush
Any other Bush
Mike Huckabee

Why are you conviced that Huckabee won't run?

I like him better now. When he doesn't screw Palin and Romney.

JK JK

but seriously. He'll never win or even come close.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies