Will anybody run in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:54:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will anybody run in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will anybody run in 2012?  (Read 2815 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 06:04:42 AM »

The lead story on Politico is about Romney's 2012 team on hold but it concludes with this.

The consensus among those close to Romney is that his oft-stated mantra about “not closing the door” on a run is about right – he’s watching Obama closely and would be inclined to get in if it seemed like he had a realistic path to victory.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/24316_Page3.html#ixzz0JpfKrCn0&C

That more than anything else I've seen suggests the possibility of Romney not running is real.  His 2008 run cost him a lot of his own money.  Right now polls show Obama with a double digit lead head to head against Romney.  If a year and a half from now the economy shows signs of recovery, the Republicans fair poorly in 2010 and Obama's approval is still sitting above 60, I wouldn't be stunned if Romney passes on 2012.

1) The problem is, he'll have to decide by about February 2011, and that's too early to know if Obama will be vulnerable.  If you judge by polls from two years out, then GHW Bush wins a landslide reelection victory in 1992 and Bill Clinton loses badly in 1996.

2) Even if Romney is pretty firmly committed to running, there's nothing to be gained by telling people about it, even in private.  He's better served by strategic ambiguity.

So I still think there's a >85% chance that Romney runs.  Probably higher probability of him running than anyone else in the field.  Higher than Huckabee.  Higher than Palin.  Higher than Pawlenty, etc.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »

People I'm sure will run 80-100% Sad

Mitt Romney
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Haley Barbour

People who I THINK will run 50%-60%

Dick Kempthrone
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Newt Gingrich
Rudy Giuliani

People who will NEVER run 10-20%

Eric Cantor
Mitch Daniels
Charlie Crist
Fred Thompson
John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jeb Bush
Any other Bush
Mike Huckabee

Why are you conviced that Huckabee won't run?

I like him better now. When he doesn't screw Palin and Romney.

JK JK

but seriously. He'll never win or even come close.

Disregarding the fact that that is false, why does it even matter? Even if Huckabee will indeed never win, what does that have to do with his running in the first place?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »

Mike Gravel would like a word with you.

Mike Gravel (R-AK) 2012!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length