PA Senator allowing gay people to exist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA Senator allowing gay people to exist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: PA Senator allowing gay people to exist  (Read 5013 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 07:04:33 AM »

Don't be ridiculous, there are no gay people at all where Coburn lives. None, at all. None!!

Unfortunately there are lots.  I am not far from Ohio State.  They are VERY pc there let me tell you.  There was a time if a guy was light in the loafers on a college campus the football team would kick his ass and send him out with the next mornings garbage.  Today every one seems to celebrate this disgusting preversion.

Coburn, you'd be right at home here, although I know quite a few gay people (yes gay people do exist in Oklahoma, surprise?)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 07:06:26 AM »

Pennsylvania, don't allow yourself to become a joke state. Sad

Don't worry, it still has awhile to go before it gets to that point. When politicians start saying gay people are bigger threats to freedom than Islamic facism, then your state is a joke.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 10:28:31 AM »

The chap just isn't very bright is he?  He could not effectively argue a case if his life depended on it, it seems.

That's because you know there isn't an argument to be made against gay marriages.  At least not one that anybody would care to hear.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »

The chap just isn't very bright is he?  He could not effectively argue a case if his life depended on it, it seems.

That's because you know there isn't an argument to be made against gay marriages.  At least not one that anybody would care to hear.

Well it would not be a winning argument, but I could construct something against gay marriages that was a hell of a lot more persuasive than this guy's pathetic rather prejudiced ramblings. Smiley
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.13

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 08:54:29 AM »

This man is abhorrent. He wants to ruin the lives of thousands of families in his state; he should not be in a position of authority.

If you're a US resident and feel strongly about this, please sign this petition:
http://www.keystoneprogress.org/page/s/paeichelberger
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »

This man is abhorrent. He wants to ruin the lives of thousands of families in his state; he should not be in a position of authority.

If you're a US resident and feel strongly about this, please sign this petition:

Signed.

Although I would prefer government to stay out of marriage completely, I am more favorable to the pro gay marriage crowd than I am to the ban them all to hell crowd.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »

Roll Eyes

Give me a break. "This man is abhorrent." Really? Do you know anything else about the man? Who he beat? What else he's done in the legislature?
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read the above, Phil. That is what the guy compared my relationship to. He also claims that homosexual relationships are "inherently dysfunctional". You're damn right I find that abhorrent - are you going to tell me that's an inappropriate reaction?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »

Roll Eyes

Give me a break. "This man is abhorrent." Really? Do you know anything else about the man? Who he beat? What else he's done in the legislature?

First impressions are everything.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »

Read the above, Phil. That is what the guy compared my relationship to. He also claims that homosexual relationships are "inherently dysfunctional". You're damn right I find that abhorrent - are you going to tell me that's an inappropriate reaction?

If you find that viewpoint abhorrent, more power to you. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that. You called the man himself abhorrent though. You know almost nothing about him. Don't sign silly petitions about people you barely know.

Considering you know very little about the man, my point still stands.
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2009, 01:26:50 PM by CrabOB »

I'm not sure why should I extend him a courtesy he clearly hasn't extended to my community, but fine; his views are abhorrent, and I am disgusted that somebody who holds them has any influence when it comes to public policy, but for all I know Mr Eichelberger is a perfectly nice man one-on-one.

For the record I didn't sign the petition (as you have to have a US address to do so), but what's "silly" about it? It's simply asking him to apologise for his remarks.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 01:29:47 PM »

Sometimes you can't be polite with men like him who not only holds such views but can't even articulate them without sounding a fifth of his age.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »

I'm not sure why should I extend him a courtesy he clearly hasn't extended to my community, but fine; his views are abhorrent, and I am disgusted that somebody who holds them has any influence when it comes to public policy, but for all I know Mr Eichelberger is a perfectly nice man one-on-one.

Sorry but enough of this "my community" nonsense and that goes for people on both sides of this issue. I swear, it's like this issue is the only matter of importance for far too many people.

If the petition was anything like the nonsense you spouted about him being abhorrent and how he shouldn't be in a position of authority then the petition is silly.

Sometimes you can't be polite with men like him who not only holds such views but can't even articulate them without sounding a fifth of his age.

I'm glad you know so much about him.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »

If you find that viewpoint abhorrent, more power to you. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that. You called the man himself abhorrent though. You know almost nothing about him. Don't sign silly petitions about people you barely know.

Phil it takes an awful lot of hate to have an opinion as warped as he does, and anyone with that level of hate inside of them is abhorrent.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »

Phil it takes an awful lot of hate to have an opinion as warped as he does, and anyone with that level of hate inside of them is abhorrent.

Right, Smash.

Smash obligatory hack quota fulfulled for 6/22/09.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

Fine. I'll wheel that one out the next time you mention any British politician. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 01:54:54 PM »

Fine. I'll wheel that one out the next time you mention any British politician. Smiley

I've never said anything even remotely as personal as you have about a State Senator that you you know little about both personally and politically.  Tongue
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

Look Phil, I don't want to say "you're not gay so you can't understand" but I really don't think you get how hurtful it is to see these things being said, especially by people with power. Read his statements in the original post again; he is dehumanising gay people at every turn possible. I don't give a crap about what else this guy's done, it isn't relevant. He could be the greatest senator ever on every other issue for all I know, but these views belong in the last century; whether he likes it or not, gay people (and gay families) make up a portion of his constituents and it's them I feel sorry for.

As far as your "nonsense" comment about my use of the word community, what's your problem? It's very hard for me not to feel angry when I hear about incidents relating to LGBT issues, or to empathise when gay people face discrimination whatever country they're in. If you don't choose to see it as a community that's fine; you and I will agree to disagree on that point. And for the record it isn't the only issue that matters to me, but it is an important one.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »

I don't give a crap about what else this guy's done, it isn't relevant.

So "gay issues" are the only issues that matter? That's all that's relevant when I go to make a judgement on Eich? Do you realize how silly this sounds?

Then say that his views on one issue are abhorrent.

I'm tired of focusing on the "_____ community" (and that goes for more liberal and more conservative communities) when we talk about issues because it leads to wrong judgements. Now Eich is the worst thing in the world because of his stance on one issue and you feel as if you know enough about him to say he shouldn't be in a position of authority and that he's personally abhorrent.

Again, dislike his view all you want. I'm not taking issue with that. I am, however, taking issue with this idea that you are in a good spot to judge the man overall.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 02:04:19 PM »

And that's a bad thing?

Moralfags like this guy are why I'm a social far leftist.
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »

If I lived in PA (which I appreciate I don't - but we all comment on places we don't live, that's kinda the point of this place) then no, I would not want a state senator who regards me and people like me as one step up from paedophiles. Even if he was great on other issues, because the whole "one step up from paedophiles" thing, well, that's kind of a dealbreaker for me (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!). It's not that gay issues are all that matter, but when the senator's opinion on gay issues is that gays are subhuman it tends to trump the other stuff.

I don't think that's as outlandish as you seem to think, actually.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »

If I lived in PA (which I appreciate I don't - but we all comment on places we don't live, that's kinda the point of this place) then no, I would not want a state senator who regards me and people like me as one step up from paedophiles. Even if he was great on other issues, because the whole "one step up from paedophiles" thing, well, that's kind of a dealbreaker for me (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!). It's not that gay issues are all that matter, but when the senator's opinion on gay issues is that gays are subhuman it tends to trump the other stuff.

I don't think that's as outlandish as you seem to think, actually.

I agree. In fact I was wondering what his big deal with polygamy and pedophilia was. As long as the love or whatever they want to call it is consensual, I think it should be legal. BTW, people who are attracted to 14 year olds aren't pedophiles, they're called ephebophiles. People need to stop demonizing things they don't understand!
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »

Wait, what? I don't think paedophilia should be legal.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2009, 02:22:42 PM by Mechaman »

Wait, what? I don't think paedophilia should be legal.

What's so wrong with it? I don't think people should be fucking 4 year olds, but surely a 13 year old is grown enough to give legal consent. Just saying.

This senator is right, once gay people have the right to marry we should fight for the rights of hebephiles and polygamists. Just try to stop us you moral facists!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »

Right, Smash.

Smash obligatory hack quota fulfulled for 6/22/09.

Ahh yes Phil because calling a hate monger abhorrent is a hackish statement......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies