Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:06:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)  (Read 5616 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:21 PM »

Maybe also require a certain time period before one can become Senator or President.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »

That has my backing, and the backing of the AIAL.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »

Maybe also require a certain time period before one can become Senator or President.

Perhaps a month for Senate and two months for President?

Also, the bit about regional offices can be removed if someone objects to telling regions who can or can't hold their offices.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »

Also, the bit about regional offices can be removed if someone objects to telling regions who can or can't hold their offices.

I think, instead, allow the Regions to set requirements along those guidelines.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »

I think, instead, allow the Regions to set requirements along those guidelines.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Better? Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »

Yes, much better Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »

I don't know. One of my constituents suggested the idea, but he also suggested longer down times. I need to ask him how he feels about one & two months.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »

I don't know. One of my constituents suggested the idea, but he also suggested longer down times. I need to ask him how he feels about one & two months.

I decided to make it two and three months instead. I'm always open to suggestions but I think that my last post is a suitable change to this amendment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »

I am happy we could turn this into a broader amendment to raise the standards of participation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »

I am happy we could turn this into a broader amendment to raise the standards of participation.

Should we do something about absentee voting while we're at it?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 10:59:12 PM »

You mean eliminate the absentee booths & just have the regular booth open longer? I see no reason not to address that here.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 11:00:32 PM »

You mean eliminate the absentee booths & just have the regular booth open longer? I see no reason not to address that here.

Would anyone else like to deal with that? I'm not really sure how to go about making those changes. I can just delete my last post and combine it into one big change to the amendment.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 12:04:11 AM »

I don't see the point in raising requirements for office. People aren't going to be voting for newbies to be Senator or whatever anyway so it really just gives the amendment here unnecessary baggage. I oppose if it was friendly.

Having said that I'm definitely in favor of heavier restrictions. I would not deem a month wait excessive.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »

Would anyone else like to deal with that? I'm not really sure how to go about making those changes. I can just delete my last post and combine it into one big change to the amendment.

Are non-senators allowed to post here?

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest that it'd probably be a good idea to give the absentee voting it's own amendment/law since there will (most likely) be trouble making the other part  pass, and there's no reason why this change shouldn't pass just because the other part fails.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 04:20:50 AM »

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest that it'd probably be a good idea to give the absentee voting it's own amendment/law since there will (most likely) be trouble making the other part  pass, and there's no reason why this change shouldn't pass just because the other part fails. 

You're free to post here as long as it's constructive and doesn't interfere with Senate business. Smiley

I suspect, though, you're right. I would prefer to leave the absentee voting situation separate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »

Any changes to participation requirements should be considered in light of any new constitutional changes as this is an amendment to what may be a shortly defunct constitution. Whatever is decided should be structured in a way that will allows it to be easily transferrable
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

You're free to post here as long as it's constructive and doesn't interfere with Senate business. Smiley

I suspect, though, you're right. I would prefer to leave the absentee voting situation separate.

I agree. If you have one element of controversy in an amendment, it's good to not make other things fail as well by including them.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 12:12:24 AM »

I'm the constituent that suggested to Pit a time requirement for office holding as well. I would suggest 6 months rather than 3 for President. I was working on the amendments already. The key difference though is the version I was working on is 2 months for Senate / 6 months for President from the date of their first registration in Atlasia, where as the form listed above sounds like 2 or 3 months from when they actually registered on the forum. I'm wondering if that is something that should be considered.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 12:14:14 AM »

I'm the constituent that suggested to Pit a time requirement for office holding as well. I would suggest 6 months rather than 3 for President. I was working on the amendments already. The key difference though is the version I was working on is 2 months for Senate / 6 months for President from the date of their first registration in Atlasia, where as the form listed above sounds like 2 or 3 months from when they actually registered on the forum. I'm wondering if that is something that should be considered.

I don't think we need to go overboard on the time limits. At a certain point we have to put trust in the hands of the voters too.

Any changes to participation requirements should be considered in light of any new constitutional changes as this is an amendment to what may be a shortly defunct constitution. Whatever is decided should be structured in a way that will allows it to be easily transferrable

I wouldn't bank anything we do on a potential new constitution. By the level activity recently in there, I'd be amazed if we end up with anything new. I am leaning more towards just fine-tuning our current version now.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »

So.... more debate or shall I open the final vote?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »

Grant me a moment of stupidity.

As long as this is what we're voting on. Reflecting on it, I realized that I made a more formal proposal to change this the first time, but ended up erasing those posts twice because of requests to make more changes to it first, and then I just ended up posting it in response to Ben. If I have to be more technical and proposey about it, I'll post it again first.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »

Intersting this if it is passed and goes to a nationwide vote, given the potential of a court case regarding matters similar to these.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »

Grant me a moment of stupidity.

As long as this is what we're voting on. Reflecting on it, I realized that I made a more formal proposal to change this the first time, but ended up erasing those posts twice because of requests to make more changes to it first, and then I just ended up posting it in response to Ben. If I have to be more technical and proposey about it, I'll post it again first.

Yes, that's the current final amendment. Since it seems you want to make changes go ahead, I won't open the vote for awhile.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »

I noticed Atlasia before I joined. If I had joined now, I would've been run out on a rail.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »

Alright, let's just get some final tweaks in on that. I want to take Brandon's advice and extend the length of time it takes until you can become president, and define them in number of days instead of months, since that could be slightly confusing, I suppose.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies