Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:25:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)  (Read 5610 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
« edited: June 28, 2009, 01:08:55 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Intelligent Voting Amendment to the Constitution

The Sixth Amendment is hereby repealed.

Spon: Sen. Marokai Blue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »

So make the requirement for registering 50 posts again?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:13 PM »

So make the requirement for registering 50 posts again?

Indeed, I would prefer it to be higher, but we're getting overrun by people who haven't familiarized themselves with the forum at all. Perhaps even implementing a time period before a user can join Atlasia would be necessary. It took me months before I ever even noticed Atlasia, and I'm sure the same is true for most of us here, so It's somewhat surprising that so many newbies are, clearly by the direction of some people, joining Atlasia right away and registering to vote, usually just by making 25 inane posts, before even knowing any of the people on Atlas or how the process words.

It really is a shame, and we need to do something to increase the voting eligibility requirements a bit. I'm just scared that now we have no many people inside the system that this amendment might fail in the regions.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:13 PM »

Also I'd like to say that I'm not proposing this just because I want it to be hard for people to join, I just think that 25 is too lax and the idea to relaxed eligibility requirements was to get more people involved, but I think anyone who is going to join can easily get 50+ posts. Honestly, the only people who jump right in before even getting 25 posts are probably drones.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »

I could maybe get behind a mandatory period of one week before joining. I also think we could stand to increase the posts requirement, seeing as how getting 25 posts today is much easier than it was in the past.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »

I could maybe get behind a mandatory period of one week before joining. I also think we could stand to increase the posts requirement, seeing as how getting 25 posts today is much easier than it was in the past.

My main concern is that a few of these newbies have joined and never participated in Atlasian debate over a certain topic, never really showed an interest, and slowed their pace of posting overall, as if they just wanted to get 25 posts and then be able to vote, it's incredibly suspicious and a bit bothersome. At least doubling the posting requirement (which isn't really that tough to deal with) and the possible addition of a time requirement before being able to join would add enough hoops to jump through to at least make sockpuppeting or newbie marshaling a bit less easy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

How long of a time requirement do you have in mind, though?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »

How long of a time requirement do you have in mind, though?

A week, I suppose, would be all I could get out of this body Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »

I would be willing to go as long as a month. I wait 18 years to vote in the United States, people can wait a month to vote in this forum. People need to prove they actually can contribute to this site before they come in here.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »

The AIAL strongly supports this Amendment, and would like to see even tougher requirements to join and run for Office.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »

The AIAL strongly supports this Amendment, and would like to see even tougher requirements to join and run for Office.

Thank you. We could use a strong constituent backing in order to get this passed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »

I would be willing to go as long as a month. I wait 18 years to vote in the United States, people can wait a month to vote in this forum. People need to prove they actually can contribute to this site before they come in here.

I'm not opposed to a month, but I want this to pass in the regions Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

If we went a month, we would end up stifling many legitimate voters, some of whom have a lot to contribute. The point of these elections is to have fun & not necessarily approximate the same level of safeguards as is needed in real life.

I would like to point out that if we had always required a month before one could join Atlasia, the RPP likely would not exist today & we pretty certainly would still have no active newspapers.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:14:50 PM »

If we went a month, we would end up stifling many legitimate voters, some of whom have a lot to contribute. The point of these elections is to have fun & not necessarily approximate the same level of safeguards as is needed in real life.

I would like to point out that if we had always required a month before one could join Atlasia, the RPP likely would not exist today & we probably would still have no active newspapers.

Obviously we grandfather in all current registered voters.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »

What about two weeks/15 days?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »

It's just silly that we let people wander in, contribute nothing to the forum at large and jump into something like this. Make them really show that they are interested in the game and care about the forum.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »

I would like to point out that if we had always required a month before one could join Atlasia, the RPP likely would not exist today & we probably would still have no active newspapers.

Obviously we grandfather in all current registered voters.

My point is that many people who join Atlasia within a month are not socks & actually make legitimate contributions to Atlasia.

In my first month on this forum, I took part in the Southern Secession Crisis, directly leading to the rise of the RPP. Vepres started a newspaper just two days after he would have first been allowed to register with a month-long waiting period.

That sounds fine.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »

It's just silly that we let people wander in, contribute nothing to the forum at large and jump into something like this. Make them really show that they are interested in the game and care about the forum.

Of course, I'm in complete agreement with you. 25 Posts is pitifully easy to get and some newbies, such as "Electoraljew" have posted 25 times and then posted almost nothing since then. I think if people really are dedicated to getting involved that they're not going to lose interest in Atlas and go somewhere else, they'll at least participate or do something beforehand and come back. If people really want to join Atlasia then I think they'll stay.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »

I would be happy with a compromise. Raise the number of posts required to 50 and I'm fine with a drop to two weeks (336 hours, precisely).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »

I would be happy with a compromise. Raise the number of posts required to 50 and I'm fine with a drop to two weeks (336 hours, precisely).

Okay. 50 posts & 2 weeks is not a problem.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2009, 10:19:49 PM by Happy Autistic Pride Day »

Edit: See my below post.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »

I approve. Should we include a grandfather clause as well?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »

I approve. Should we include a grandfather clause as well?

That sounds like a good idea. It would be unfortunate to pass a law that disenfranchises any current voters.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »

I'd also like to see the requirements for holding Office to be raised, as well.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2009, 10:26:34 PM by Happy Autistic Pride Day »

Edit: See my below post again! Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »