most benighted us state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 06:22:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  most benighted us state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: most benighted us state  (Read 17100 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »

I think I'll go with Oklahoma as my answer overall but Mississippi is obviously terrible. This is a fact. Highest obesity rate, bottom of the barrel education rates, racist and is an overall embarrassment to the nation. Of course all the states in that region are in the same boat.
Everything you said is a consequence of being poor.  Maybe if the government would actually help us out by giving us money to improve public education in Jackson and the Delta, our education system would suck so bad.
That said, there are plenty of good high schools in MS, including the one I attended.

For the record, Mississippi gets more than twice as much money per tax dollar from the federal government than the United States as a whole and by far more than any other state.

Mississippi just died, didn't it?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »

I think I'll go with Oklahoma as my answer overall but Mississippi is obviously terrible. This is a fact. Highest obesity rate, bottom of the barrel education rates, racist and is an overall embarrassment to the nation. Of course all the states in that region are in the same boat.
Everything you said is a consequence of being poor.  Maybe if the government would actually help us out by giving us money to improve public education in Jackson and the Delta, our education system would suck so bad.
That said, there are plenty of good high schools in MS, including the one I attended.

For the record, Mississippi gets more than twice as much money per tax dollar from the federal government than the United States as a whole and by far more than any other state.
And apparently it's not enough.

I realize that it doesn't help matters when that jackass in Jackson is trying to turn down the stimulus money we so badly need.

So even though you admit that Mississippi needs much more money than any other state in order to reform education, infrastructure, etc, you still claim that Mississippi is on par with the rest of the union?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 04:47:58 PM »

I realize that it doesn't help matters when that jackass in Jackson is trying to turn down the stimulus money we so badly need.

So even though you admit that Mississippi needs much more money than any other state in order to reform education, infrastructure, etc, you still claim that Mississippi is on par with the rest of the union?

I think we have problems, but I don't think there's anything wrong with our people, or that our people are worth less than other Americans, which is the general sentiment of this forum, and in fact most Americans from outside the South.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »

I think we have problems, but I don't think there's anything wrong with our people, or that our people are worth less than other Americans, which is the general sentiment of this forum, and in fact most Americans from outside the South.

I would never claim such a thing.

I think Mississippi sucks, personally, but it doesn't make the people living there in any way inferior.
I don't think many people think that, either. A lot of people dislike Mississippi for political, social and cultural reasons, but that's not the same thing as "hating" or saying people are "worth less".
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »

How is Mississippi worse than Alabama?  I don't get it.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »

I can't choose between Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina...

Louisiana has the best alcohol laws.  They'd be FAR off my list despite their other social conservatism.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:50 PM »

You take this way, way too personally. When has anyone (and BRTD doesn't count) said that the people of Mississippi are inferior? I realize most of them got a crappy deal being born in Mississippi. But that doesn't make the state of Mississippi not, well, crappy. It should be possible to parse the state from each individual in it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2009, 02:19:06 AM »

Why?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »

How is Mississippi worse than Alabama?  I don't get it.
There is nobody here putting up a defense of Alabama.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2009, 03:18:11 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2009, 03:34:11 AM by Einzige »

All the states on the right are 'benighted'. Especially worthless are the white trash Southern pissholes that so hypocritically suck at the tit of the Fed and then whine about their 'kulchurul valyas' by electing right-wing extremists to high office.

This ought to be their national anthem:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 04:55:22 AM »

Let's not forget also that the southern states, which take so much pride in their Christian Values, have among them the No 1 state in teen pregnacies (Mississippi) and the No 1 state in divorces (Arkansas).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »

Let's not forget also that the southern states, which take so much pride in their Christian Values, have among them the No 1 state in teen pregnacies (Mississippi) and the No 1 state in divorces (Arkansas).

Don't forget that the South has performed more than 90% of executions in recent years. That sure is following the teachings of Christ, huh?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »

Don't forget that the South has performed more than 90% of executions in recent years. That sure is following the teachings of Christ, huh?

Of course.
Don't you know also that Jesus Christ was pro-gun?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 06:36:34 AM »

Of course.
Don't you know also that Jesus Christ was pro-gun?

Actually, yes I did, along with a lot of other filthy liberal positions:

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 06:43:44 AM »

Franzl's works, there were executions performed during Jesus's time (He'd know it better than most).  I'm pretty sure they didn't have guns back then and He was certainly pro-sword.  See Luke 22 verse 36
Quote from: Restricted
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 06:46:54 AM »

Franzl's works, there were executions performed during Jesus's time (He'd know it better than most).  I'm pretty sure they didn't have guns back then and He was certainly pro-sword.  See Luke 22 verse 36

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Although Jesus himself didn't advocate using the sword.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 06:57:15 AM »

WE'VE BEEN DATIN SINCE HIGH SCHOOL WE NEVER ONCE LEFT THIS TOWN
WE USE TO GO OUT ON THE WEEKENDS AND WE'D DRINK TIL WE DROWNED
BUT NOW SH'ES ACTING FUNNY AND I DONT UNDERSTAND
I THINK THAT SHE'S FOUND HER SOME OTHER MAN

CHORUS:
SHE LEFT ME FOR JESUS AND THAT JUST AIN'T FAIR
SHE SAYS THAT HE'S PERFECT HOW COULD I COMPARE
SHE SAYS I SHOULD FIND HIM AND I'LL KNOW PEACE AT LAST
BUT IF I EVER FIND JESUS I'M KICKIN' HIS ASS

SHE SHOWED ME A PICTURE ALL I COULD DO WAS STARE
AT THAT FREAK IN HIS SANDALS WITH HIS LONG PRETTY HAIR
THEY MUST THINK THAT I'M STUPID OR I DON'T HAVE A CLUE
I'LL BET HE'S A COMMIE OR EVEN WORSE YET A JEW

REPEAT CHORUS

SHE'S GIVEN UP WHISKEY AND HAS TAKEN UP WINE
WHILE SHE PRAYS FOR HIS TROUBLES SHE'S FORGOT ABOUT MINE
I'M A-GONNA GET EVEN I CAN'T HANDLE THE SHAME
WHY LAST TIME WE MADE LOVE SHE EVEN CALLED OUT HIS NAME

REPEAT CHORUS

IT COULDA BEEN CARLOS OR EVEN BILLY ORTEZ
BUT IF I EVER FIND JESUS
HES GONNA WISH HE WAS DEAD AMEN

Couldn't resist. Seemed on-topic.

Oh, and if anyone could explain the third to last line to me, I'll be much obliged.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »

WE'VE BEEN DATIN SINCE HIGH SCHOOL WE NEVER ONCE LEFT THIS TOWN
WE USE TO GO OUT ON THE WEEKENDS AND WE'D DRINK TIL WE DROWNED
BUT NOW SH'ES ACTING FUNNY AND I DONT UNDERSTAND
I THINK THAT SHE'S FOUND HER SOME OTHER MAN

CHORUS:
SHE LEFT ME FOR JESUS AND THAT JUST AIN'T FAIR
SHE SAYS THAT HE'S PERFECT HOW COULD I COMPARE
SHE SAYS I SHOULD FIND HIM AND I'LL KNOW PEACE AT LAST
BUT IF I EVER FIND JESUS I'M KICKIN' HIS ASS

SHE SHOWED ME A PICTURE ALL I COULD DO WAS STARE
AT THAT FREAK IN HIS SANDALS WITH HIS LONG PRETTY HAIR
THEY MUST THINK THAT I'M STUPID OR I DON'T HAVE A CLUE
I'LL BET HE'S A COMMIE OR EVEN WORSE YET A JEW

REPEAT CHORUS

SHE'S GIVEN UP WHISKEY AND HAS TAKEN UP WINE
WHILE SHE PRAYS FOR HIS TROUBLES SHE'S FORGOT ABOUT MINE
I'M A-GONNA GET EVEN I CAN'T HANDLE THE SHAME
WHY LAST TIME WE MADE LOVE SHE EVEN CALLED OUT HIS NAME

REPEAT CHORUS

IT COULDA BEEN CARLOS OR EVEN BILLY ORTEZ
BUT IF I EVER FIND JESUS
HES GONNA WISH HE WAS DEAD AMEN

Couldn't resist. Seemed on-topic.

Oh, and if anyone could explain the third to last line to me, I'll be much obliged.
[/quote

It would appear the white trash type singing this assumes that Jesus is "HeySoose" and an hispanic. Odd that he talks about jews and then assumes the guy is hispanic. Whatever.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »

Why is everyone saying Mississippi?  I was there recently (well, LA, but I wasn't far from the state line), and the people (the black ones anyway) are nice as hell and were wonderful to be around.  The whites were a bunch of Bible-thumping little sh *ts, but that's to be expected.

No, the most benighted state in the Union is, as of right now, Oklahoma.  Look at some of the crap they pass on the state level, as well as their 2008 vote, swing, and trends maps. 

There is just nothing that is redeeming anymore about Oklahoma.  It's awful.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Didn't advocate the individual, he didn't forbid the state from doing so.

BTW LOL @ the dumb bigots in this thread bashing the south. They ought to thank us for providing the majority of soldiers who fought all the wars this country has been involved in.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »

Didn't advocate the individual, he didn't forbid the state from doing so.

BTW LOL @ the dumb bigots in this thread bashing the south. They ought to thank us for providing the majority of soldiers who fought all the wars this country has been involved in.

The entire region ought to be cleansed with nuclear fire. It is worthless, an abyssal vacuum where culture goes to die.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »

The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:42 AM »

Why is everyone saying Mississippi?  I was there recently (well, LA, but I wasn't far from the state line), and the people (the black ones anyway) are nice as hell and were wonderful to be around.  The whites were a bunch of Bible-thumping little sh *ts, but that's to be expected.

Wow... so you met all the black people and white people in Miss. while in Louisiana. Fantastic.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »

It's not bigoted to base impressions of a region on facts.

If you hate the south so much, pack up and head back to Dump Jersey.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »

It's not bigoted to base impressions of a region on facts.

It's bigoted to assume the the idiot you met behind the counter at Burger King on the Drive thru Florida (or wherever) was representative of everyone in the state.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies