Republicans need this type of voice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:56:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Republicans need this type of voice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Republicans need this type of voice  (Read 6456 times)
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 01:49:49 AM »

I think you're missing the point of this thread.  Naso is talking about the"voice" the GOP needs, and the video shows how the last 3 Republican Presidents were able to communicate effectively.   

If the Democratic Party had nominated far superior candidates rather than Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis there is a very good chance that both Reagan and Bush could have been defeated. It might be wishful thinking on my behalf, but you Republicans have those nominees of the Democratic Party to thank for your "greatest" President's.

Seriously! The Democrats practically handed the GOP the Presidency in the '80s with those weak candidates.

They weren't that weak. I mean, Carter was a President of the United States, Mondale was an experienced Senator and former Vice President, and Dukakis...well...he was the Massachusetts "Miracle" and a Governor.

I actually think that Bush Sr. could have been re-elected back in 1992 had he run his re-election campaign more like his son did in 2004. It would have been close, but he could have pulled it off. He didn't really seem to wanna even try.

How could it have been close? Clinton won by over five million votes.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »

I think you're missing the point of this thread.  Naso is talking about the"voice" the GOP needs, and the video shows how the last 3 Republican Presidents were able to communicate effectively.   

If the Democratic Party had nominated far superior candidates rather than Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis there is a very good chance that both Reagan and Bush could have been defeated. It might be wishful thinking on my behalf, but you Republicans have those nominees of the Democratic Party to thank for your "greatest" President's.

Seriously! The Democrats practically handed the GOP the Presidency in the '80s with those weak candidates.

They weren't that weak. I mean, Carter was a President of the United States, Mondale was an experienced Senator and former Vice President, and Dukakis...well...he was the Massachusetts "Miracle" and a Governor.

I actually think that Bush Sr. could have been re-elected back in 1992 had he run his re-election campaign more like his son did in 2004. It would have been close, but he could have pulled it off. He didn't really seem to wanna even try.

In the case of the 1992 election, the numbers lie... it was pretty close.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »

In the case of the 1992 election, the numbers lie... it was pretty close.

Why? Because of Perot?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 01:55:29 AM »

Bush could have ran for re-election on Foreign Policy and fought harder on the economy.

RE-ELECT BUSH. PROVEN STRENGTH. Ect, ect. There was none of that. No effort. '92, even with the recession, could have been a cakewalk for Bush/Quayle, especially with a flawed candidate like Clinton. I understand he is a good politician...but if Bush would have run on his foreign policy success, and rallied the base, he could have retained the White House for four more years.

Wow...George H.W. Bush could have been President still in 1997...strange.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 01:59:48 AM »

Bush could have ran for re-election on Foreign Policy and fought harder on the economy.

RE-ELECT BUSH. PROVEN STRENGTH. Ect, ect. There was none of that. No effort. '92, even with the recession, could have been a cakewalk for Bush/Quayle, especially with a flawed candidate like Clinton. I understand he is a good politician...but if Bush would have run on his foreign policy success, and rallied the base, he could have retained the White House for four more years.

Yeah, for nineteen and a half days, then President Dole!
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 02:02:19 AM »

Quayle
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 02:07:18 AM »

Quayle

I can't imagine him even winning the nomination.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 02:07:36 AM »

Quayle

Gore
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 02:08:57 AM »

Quayle

Probably not.  Wasn't there a movement to replace Quayle with Dole on the '92 ticket?
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:03 AM »

Quayle

Probably not.  Wasn't there a movement to replace Quayle with Dole on the '92 ticket?

Thats news to me. I thought Bush and Dole did'nt really like eachother.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:34 AM »

Quayle

Some talk in 1992 of a Bush/Baker or a Bush/Cheney (funny, huh?) ticket, but it never got much traction.

Infact, there was an article I read in Time magazine following the Gulf War success in 1990/1991, and it noted how the re-election of Bush and Quayle was "very likely" and how the 90s would be remembered as "The Bush Era".

Who would have known...
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »

I'm a troll cause I don't agree with you? =/

As to others;

Eisenhower didn't do much in actual policy besides play golf. He didn't even want the job. I respect him, but he isn't exactly my favorite President.

I probably did place Bush I a bit high, I just didn't want my entire list to be dems, even though policy wise it would be.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »

I probably did place Bush I a bit high, I just didn't want my entire list to be dems, even though policy wise it would be.
As far as Republican go, Bush I was pretty moderate. Let's not forget he passed Clean Air, ADA, Unemployment Benefits, etc. We need more like him.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »

Republicans would do well to drop the covert nudges to white power/white solidarity/protestant supremacy, the dixie accent and drop the small government foolishness.
WillK

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 02:43:35 PM »

Reagan was a total douche, one of the worst presidents in our history.

George H. W. Bush was an okay president, better than most Republicans.

Bush.... well he is the worst of ANY president.

Reagan was by far our greatest President of the 20th Century, and George H.W. Bush was also one of the greatest.

So whats the message you want Republicans to broadcast:  "Remember how great Bush left the country in 2008?  Let us do it again."  Sounds like a real winner.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2008, 04:56:37 PM by paul718 »

Best Presidents of the 20th Century

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Harry Truman
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt
4. Richard Nixon (Really? #4?)
5. George H.W. Bush (I don't really see how he gets up this high)
6. Calvin Coolidge (Didn't really do much)
7. Teddy Roosevelt
8. Dwight D. Eisenhower
9. John F. Kennedy
10. William McKinley (Really considering him as 20th century?)

I still think Clinton belongs on there too. You must disagree with his policies a tremendous amount to have him here. You can't point to the whole "keep it in the pants" issue if you are putting Reagan up there.

And I'm not all that sure of JFK. He didn't do all to much before assassination. Great impact on the country, I'll give him that.

Cool Cal was one of the most conservative Presidents we've ever had.  Which is why Republicans generally think he's vastly underrated (including me Smiley). 

I'm also a big JFK fan.  His tax policies were more conservative than Eisenhower's and Nixon's.

Oh, and I think Clinton was pretty good.  I didn't really approve of his foreign policy, but domestically his compromises with the post-1994 Congress was to the country's benefit.  It's kind of difficult to guage just how effective he was, since he was in office during such a good time.  Though the same could be said of Coolidge.

P.S. Isn't it funny that the two 20th-century Presidents from Massachusetts were both tax-cutters?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »

Thank you, Lunar.  I saved the pic for future use.  Something tells me it will be needed again.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »

LOL. NO. SORRY. He doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Roosevelt. Our greatest of all Presidents. The top five of the 20th century are as goes...

1. Roosevelt
2. Johnson
3. Carter.
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Truman

Which Roosevelt? Douchebag #1 FDR or Douche #2 TR?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Harry Truman
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt
7. Teddy Roosevelt
8. Dwight D. Eisenhower
9. John F. Kennedy

I still think Clinton belongs on there too. You must disagree with his policies a tremendous amount to have him here. You can't point to the whole "keep it in the pants" issue if you are putting Reagan up there.

And I'm not all that sure of JFK. He didn't do all to much before assassination. Great impact on the country, I'll give him that.

Cool Cal was one of the most conservative Presidents we've ever had.  Which is why Republicans generally think he's vastly underrated (including me Smiley). 

I'm also a big JFK fan.  His tax policies were more conservative than Eisenhower's and Nixon's.

Oh, and I think Clinton was pretty good.  I didn't really approve of his foreign policy, but domestically his compromises with the post-1994 Congress was to the country's benefit.  It's kind of difficult to guage just how effective he was, since he was in office during such a good time.  Though the same could be said of Coolidge.

P.S. Isn't it funny that the two 20th-century Presidents from Massachusetts were both tax-cutters?

Which proves that maybe the "Taxachusetts" label is not so accurate after all?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:28 PM »

Eisenhower was the last President I'd have voted for. You're familiar with his tax code, I assume...
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »

LOL. NO. SORRY. He doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Roosevelt. Our greatest of all Presidents. The top five of the 20th century are as goes...

1. Roosevelt
2. Johnson
3. Carter.
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Truman

Which Roosevelt? Douchebag #1 FDR or Douche #2 TR?

I assume he's talking about Douchebag #1, although I'm pretty sure you knew that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Harry Truman
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt
7. Teddy Roosevelt
8. Dwight D. Eisenhower
9. John F. Kennedy

I agree with you on Coolidge, JFK and the post 1994 Clinton.

The topic is not about returning to 1980 but about finding someone who can express our solutions to todays problems the same way Reagan expressed his solutions to the problems of 1980. You need a strong message to win and McCain clearly didn't have that at all.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

1. Roosevelt
2. Johnson
3. Carter.
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Truman

Johnson number two HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I don't know what came over me. Seriously though, Bush at number four... I wouldn't put him that high, and he was just about right in line with me ideologically.

CARTER NUMBER THREE?Huh He was better after his presidency.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2009, 07:38:22 PM by pbrower2a »

1. Ronald Reagan
Effective, but not very innovative. Easy term.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Consolidated  FDR's achievements. 

With his friend Sir Winston Churchill he saved Western Christian civilization.

Great achievements in foreign policy. Paranoid actions unjustifiable.

I'll give him credit for handling the end of Communism and the defeat of Satan Hussein in Kuwait...

The Great Stock Market Crash began six months after the end of his term. Put the squeeze on Germany for reparations and may have contributed to the rise of Hitler. Disaster of a presidency.

Major reformer, generally considered the second-best peacetime President (after only Jefferson).

Under-rated  in his time, did about everything right.

We will never know. He did stop World War III with the blockade of Cuba.

Repudiated by his successor -- his VP! Last of the Gilded-Age mediocrities.

My pics:

1. FDR

2. T. Roosevelt

3. Truman

4. Eisenhower

5. Kennedy

6. LBJ

7. Reagan

8. Wilson

9. Clinton

10. Nixon
Lunar