Republicans need this type of voice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 03:14:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Republicans need this type of voice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Republicans need this type of voice  (Read 6390 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:03:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5_q-rWMkg

That video shows the type of voice Republicans need to win. From 1981 to 1993, then from 2001 to 2009, we had Republican leadership that carried a strong message of freedom, democracy, ect.

The only 2012 candidate I can see doing that is Mitt Romney. Am I wrong? I mean, Haley Barbour and Mike Huckabee would be good contenders, but we need that message.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »

Did the Democrats spend thirty years constantly dredging up FDR rather than finding new leadership?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

Did the Democrats spend thirty years constantly dredging up FDR rather than finding new leadership?

Who said anything about dredging up? George W. Bush rarely referenced Reagan or his father when running.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:09:31 PM »

then from 2001 to 2009, we had Republican leadership that carried a strong message of freedom, democracy, ect.

No, actually you didn't. That's why your party lost by 10 million votes this past election.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »

No, you have it the wrong way.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »

then from 2001 to 2009, we had Republican leadership that carried a strong message of freedom, democracy, ect.

No, actually you didn't. That's why your party lost by 10 million votes this past election.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »

What would Haley Barbour's message be? "I promise not to turn the US into a third world country like Mississippi is"?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »

What would Haley Barbour's message be? "I promise not to turn the US into a third world country like Mississippi is"?

Hmm last time I checked Mississippi got the worst part of the worst natural disaster in our countrie's history and didn't piss and moan like a bunch of children about the Government not bailing them out.
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:48:51 PM »

Reagan was a total douche, one of the worst presidents in our history.

George H. W. Bush was an okay president, better than most Republicans.

Bush.... well he is the worst of ANY president.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »

Reagan was by far our greatest President of the 20th Century, and George H.W. Bush was also one of the greatest.
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »

LOL. NO. SORRY. He doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Roosevelt. Our greatest of all Presidents. The top five of the 20th century are as goes...

1. Roosevelt
2. Johnson
3. Carter.
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Truman
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 08:54:12 PM »

You're gonna be killed for your #3 choice. Unsure
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »

Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »

You're gonna be killed for your #3 choice. Unsure

Frankly, Carter handled the numerous problems which were thrown onto his desk, well and calmly. The circumstances weren't his fault, as evidenced by the rest of the world having almost the same bad things happen to them. Carter was great for the environment as well, and was had more integrity than a lot of politicans. The only thing I dislike about him, was that he went to far with deregulation....

The Moon:

Shut up DINO. =P Lol.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »

I think you're missing the point of this thread.  Naso is talking about the"voice" the GOP needs, and the video shows how the last 3 Republican Presidents were able to communicate effectively.  John McCain wasn't able to forumulate a concise, coherent message, and that partially led to his defeat.   

Carter was great for the environment as well, and was had more integrity than a lot of politicans. The only thing I dislike about him, was that he went to far with deregulation....

Huh
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:18:29 PM »

I think you're missing the point of this thread.  Naso is talking about the"voice" the GOP needs, and the video shows how the last 3 Republican Presidents were able to communicate effectively.  John McCain wasn't able to forumulate a concise, coherent message, and that partially led to his defeat.   

Carter was great for the environment as well, and was had more integrity than a lot of politicans. The only thing I dislike about him, was that he went to far with deregulation....

Huh

What exactly don't you get about that?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »

Oh no. Another troll!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »

I think you're missing the point of this thread.  Naso is talking about the"voice" the GOP needs, and the video shows how the last 3 Republican Presidents were able to communicate effectively.   

If the Democratic Party had nominated far superior candidates rather than Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis there is a very good chance that both Reagan and Bush could have been defeated. It might be wishful thinking on my behalf, but you Republicans have those nominees of the Democratic Party to thank for your "greatest" President's.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »

I think you're missing the point of this thread.  Naso is talking about the"voice" the GOP needs, and the video shows how the last 3 Republican Presidents were able to communicate effectively.   

If the Democratic Party had nominated far superior candidates rather than Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis there is a very good chance that both Reagan and Bush could have been defeated. It might be wishful thinking on my behalf, but you Republicans have those nominees of the Democratic Party to thank for your "greatest" President's.

Seriously! The Democrats practically handed the GOP the Presidency in the '80s with those weak candidates.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 12:01:51 AM »

No, which is part of the reason why we kept losing elections for a long time. Smiley

I do actually agree with you, though. The Reagan strategy doesn't work anymore in today's environment.

I would point out that the culture of consumption, greed, energy ignorance and acceptability of debt that largely started under Reagan is highly responsible for many of the problems we face today.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:43:27 AM »

Huh

What exactly don't you get about that?

One of the primary issues that led to the downfall of Carter's presidency was the oil crisis, of which price controls were one of the main culprits.  In other words, Carter didn't deregulate enough.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »

Seriously! The Democrats practically handed the GOP the Presidency in the '80s with those weak candidates.

They weren't that weak. I mean, Carter was a President of the United States, Mondale was an experienced Senator and former Vice President, and Dukakis...well...he was the Massachusetts "Miracle" and a Governor.

I actually think that Bush Sr. could have been re-elected back in 1992 had he run his re-election campaign more like his son did in 2004. It would have been close, but he could have pulled it off. He didn't really seem to wanna even try.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 01:03:14 AM »

LOL. NO. SORRY. He doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Roosevelt. Our greatest of all Presidents. The top five of the 20th century are as goes...

1. Roosevelt
2. Johnson
3. Carter.
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Truman

Huh

Roosevelt

Truman

Johnson
Eisenhower
Kennedy

I don't see what Bush I did to merit making your list.  Was the First Gulf War that stirring a victory for you?
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 01:05:08 AM »

1. Roosevelt
2. Johnson
3. Carter.
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Truman

Johnson number two HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I don't know what came over me. Seriously though, Bush at number four... I wouldn't put him that high, and he was just about right in line with me ideologically.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 01:24:20 AM »

Best Presidents of the 20th Century

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Harry Truman
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt
4. Richard Nixon
5. George H.W. Bush
6. Calvin Coolidge