Senator Gillibrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:26:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Gillibrand
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Thomas Suozzi

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand

Nita M. Lowey

State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo

Rep. Steve Israel

Rep. Brian Higgins

Rep. Greg Meeks

Rep. Nydia Velasquez

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Caroline Kennedy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Senator Gillibrand  (Read 57869 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »

Well, at least he replaced a women with another women.

Is that necessarily a good thing?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »

To me yes. I believe we need more women in government. I pray that there is a day when there are more women in the congress then men or at least equal to.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »

To me yes. I believe we need more women in government. I pray that there is a day when there are more women in the congress then men or at least equal to.

I would have no problem with that. But the important thing is that these women are qualified. In the case of this appointment, obviously, Congresswoman Gillibrand is definitely alright.

I don't like artificial quotas, though. Positions should be filled with the most competent people, regardless of race/gender/ethnic origin etc.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:21 AM »

I would have no problem with that. But the important thing is that these women are qualified. In the case of this appointment, obviously, Congresswoman Gillibrand is definitely alright.

I don't like artificial quotas, though. Positions should be filled with the most competent people, regardless of race/gender/ethnic origin etc.

Of course, but there are alot of qualified women that don't run because of the fear of sexism.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »

Every major news source is now confirming.

Now time to wait for noon to watch. Anyone know of a good place to watch online?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2009, 11:43:24 AM by Lunar »

Gillibrand is the 1st NY Senator in the United States to support Gay Marriage

Here's another interesting wrinkle from Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand's (D-NY) imminent promotion to the Senate: She appears to have switched her position on gay marriage from a standard "safe" Democratic stance, to now being a full supporter.

Empire State Pride Agenda has put out a press release saying that Gillibrand has spoken to them, and they are glad to say that New York will have its first Senator who endorses full marriage equality. This is a big change for Gillibrand, who previously had a conventional Democratic position of endorsing civil unions and non-discrimination laws, but not being for gay marriage.

To be sure, Gillibrand's voting record on gay rights was not anything that could be called bad. There weren't too many votes on gay issues in the last two years, but she did vote for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, as well as the hate crimes bill.

Gillibrand's House district voted twice for George W. Bush, then narrowly flipped to Barack Obama in 2008. So one can see why Gillibrand was less than willing to support gay marriage. But if we're looking at this from the assumption of political opportunism, this in turn gives us a new realization: We are now in a world in which endorsing gay marriage can actually be a politically beneficial choice in a statewide setting.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/01/gillibrand-inches-leftward-now-supports-gay-marriage.php
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »

Senator Gillibrand is a true maverick.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

Gillibrand is the first New York senator to support gay marriage. I'm pretty sure she's not the first overall.

Senator Gillibrand is a true maverick.

Ooops.  Corrected for accuracy.

Ben Smith thinks that Schumer being a serious driving force behind the Gillibrand pick (a notion some people here disagreed with me over Wink), could sink some of Kirsten's top challengers in 2010.  For legislators in NY, don't mess with chuck.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2009, 11:52:35 AM by Verily »

I would be pretty satisfied with a pro-gun Senator who voted against the bailout.  Of course, she will get a primary challenge - bet on it.

Verily - the NY State Assembly Majority Leader is Sheldon Silver, who is certainly not from this area.  I think, as noted before on this thread, that there's only one Dem state assembly member and no Dem state senators from this area.  In other words, there really isn't much of a Dem bench here.  Of course, maybe there will be a nasty primary battle or something with all the Republicans who will run.  The CD is part of Dutchess, extends around Albany and goes up to the Adirondacks.

Btw, I should mention this since I didn't before - it seems plainly obvious to me that Paterson was going to pick Kennedy before TSHTF.  Makes the denial ultra-sweet in my view.

Actually, Silver is Speaker of the NYS Assembly.  The NYS Assembly Majority leader is Ronald Canestrari, who indeed is from the Albany area.  His assembly district includes part of CD20.  I don't know whether Canestrari lives in the CD20 part of his assembly district, though.

My bad.  So noted.

Canestrari's Wikipedia page says he was the mayor of Cohoes, NY before becoming an Assemblyman.  Cohoes is in Albany County, which is not on CD 20.  So if Canestrari hasn't moved since his mayorial days, he'd be a carpetbagger.

You're right, which I noted on page 30 in my post about Assemblymembers (there's only one, a Republican, who actually lives in NY-20).

Assuming all of them still live in the areas they represented before entering the Assembly, anyway. Which is not completely certain by any means.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »

And I deleted post-correction. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #485 on: January 23, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »

GOD.  MSNBC is talking endlessly about how the failure to pick Caroline is a failure for women and bragging about about how Caroline accomplished so much "for a woman."

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #486 on: January 23, 2009, 12:14:20 PM »

Of course, but there are alot of qualified women that don't run because of the fear of sexism.

At least you picked the right stage to cry sexism at.  Past the self-selection stage, women and men fare almost identically in elections (get the same amount of votes, do just as well in primaries, etc.).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #487 on: January 23, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »

She now says she supports a bill to keep handguns out of the hands of dangerous criminals.

She's really embracing her femininity too, talking about how women's rights are human rights.

I wonder if she's going to face serious primary opposition.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #488 on: January 23, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »

She now says she supports a bill to keep handguns out of the hands of dangerous criminals.

She's really embracing her femininity too, talking about how women's rights are human rights.

I wonder if she's going to face serious primary opposition.

Walter's heroine Carolyn McCarthy says she will run.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #489 on: January 23, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

Is the Gillibrand pick officially a done deal yet or not?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #490 on: January 23, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »

GOD.  MSNBC is talking endlessly about how the failure to pick Caroline is a failure for women and bragging about about how Caroline accomplished so much "for a woman."

Lol. Because Gillibrand is so male. And has "accomplished" so much less. Roll Eyes
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #491 on: January 23, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »

Given that she will be working on Obama's agenda in a solidly democratic Senate... when will she be given an opportunity to piss off Democrats? Of course she will support 90% of what every other democrat supports. My guess is that she never votes against Schumer... at least until 2011
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »

I love that he's present but why the hell is Al D'Amato at the announcement (and basically right behind the podium)?

Anyway, this is a great day for New York and for the GOP. Let gun control nut McCarthy run a nasty primary challenge. I'll love it. And then who can forget picking up a House seat?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »

Anyway, this is a great day for New York and for the GOP. Let gun control nut McCarthy run a nasty primary challenge.

Which will do the GOP...absolutely no good whatsoever because they aren't winning a Senate seat in New York.

And then who can forget picking up a House seat?

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, especially considering Obama won the seat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, especially considering Obama won the seat.

It's likely that we'll get it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #495 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »

Based on what? Like I said, Obama won the seat and the special election will be held during his "honeymoon".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #496 on: January 23, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »

Based on what? Like I said, Obama won the seat and the special election will be held during his "honeymoon".

All you have going for your side is that Obama won the seat which really doesn't mean too much. Admit it.

It's a Republican district with a Republican bench. Oh, and the Special will likely be sometime in March or April, I assume. I don't think Obama is going to be looking so pretty then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #497 on: January 23, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »

All you have going for your side is that Obama won the seat which really doesn't mean too much. Admit it.

There's currently only about a dozen or so Republicans in seats Obama won.

It's a Republican district with a Republican bench.

Kind of like IL-14 or MS-01 right?

Oh, and the Special will likely be sometime in March or April, I assume. I don't think Obama is going to be looking so pretty then.

What's going to happen before then to ruin him?

And do you seriously think you stand a chance of winning a Senate seat in New York in 2010? (As your above post implies.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »

We are out of the "send Bush a message!!" era. It's going to come down to candidate quality and there is no Democrat with the organization and profile to be that person now, while there are Republicans. We will have to see what happens.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »

Gay marriage support = yay.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length