Senator Gillibrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:55:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Gillibrand
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Thomas Suozzi

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand

Nita M. Lowey

State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo

Rep. Steve Israel

Rep. Brian Higgins

Rep. Greg Meeks

Rep. Nydia Velasquez

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Caroline Kennedy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Senator Gillibrand  (Read 58372 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

Gross.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »

btw I think the Post is the second worst reporter on New York politics, after the AP
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »

Are the circumstances surrounding Kennedy extraordinary enough to put this seat in play in 2010?

They certainly have become more so due to the long indecision.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »

Are the circumstances surrounding Kennedy extraordinary enough to put this seat in play in 2010?

They certainly have become more so due to the long indecision.

It's important to remember that Paterson sure wouldn't mind his most prominent Democratic & Republican challengers switching over to challenging the Senate seat in 2010 instead of his own bid for election.  This is a key source of error for me because I don't know to what degree that [putting up a dummy in the Senate seat to draw off his rivals] is a concern for Paterson compared to winning over constituencies by impressing them with his pick Smiley
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »

btw I think the Post is the second worst reporter on New York politics, after the AP

The Post is worse than the AP.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »

"greatly embarass"? wtf? That assumes that Caroline was entitled to the seat to begin with-- something most people do not buy, according to the polls. I think most people would understand Paterson picked someone else due to qualifications. This is an excuse so that Paterson will have the 'Kennedy machine' behind him when he runs for re-election. Pay for play. But whatever. It looks like I will be endorsing Giuliani/King or whomever the GOP runs for these offices.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »

hopefully both Paterson and Caroline get primaried in 2010.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

hopefully both Paterson and Caroline get primaried in 2010.

They will.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »

I mean, lose, not just be challenged.

I suppose Cuomo is likely to seek one of them (whichever he feels would be easiest?)  if he picks Caroline to go after Paterson may be lucky enough to escape unscathed.  otherwise Israel or an upstater or one of those NYC lesbians can go get Caroline while Cuomo guns down Paterson.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »

I suppose Cuomo is likely to seek one of them (whichever he feels would be easiest?)  if he picks Caroline to go after Paterson may be lucky enough to escape unscathed.  otherwise Israel or an upstater or one of those NYC lesbians can go get Caroline while Cuomo guns down Paterson.

Israel has stated that he winn stand by Paterson's pick if its not him and won't mount a Primary challenge.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »

I assume Cuomo would prefer the Senate seat than to become a Governor, but he probably wouldn't want to upset the mother of his children by challenging her cousin.  He will probably go after Paterson.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

Impossible
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »

Dicker usually knows of what he writes.  WCBS-TV thinks it will be Kennedy, too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »

2010 in New York ought to be hilarious. Thanks, Governor!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »

Impossible

Sad, but true
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2009, 09:02:38 PM »

cinyc is right - Dicker usually has the goods on NY state politics intrigue.

Otherwise, trusting what the Post *reports* is indeed a risky proposition.

We'll see.  Should only be a couple of days now before we know the correct answer.  Of course, I divined it was Caroline at the beginning of the year, fwiw.  Tongue
Wall St. Wiz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »

The fix is in, the socialite who has never had a real job won't be denied her senate seat.  Paterson picks her, then she, Teddy, and The Messiah make sure no one runs a primary against him. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »

Dicker merely is reporting what some of the other contenders think, while I doubt Paterson has told any of the contenders.  The associates of these other contenders are probably bitter because they only know that their guys aren't chosen and are making a bitter proclamation against Caroline.  They include the added bit of Paterson doing it to avoid "embarrassing the Kennedy family" in order to undermine Caroline's legitimacy and avoiding embarrassing themselves that they weren't chosen.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/01/clinton-kennedy.html

New York’s Democratic governor, in Washington for tomorrow's presidential inauguration, met with reporters today and indicated he would probably find someone to fill Hillary Clinton’s U.S. Senate seat "by this weekend.”

And, contrary to reports suggesting Paterson’s mind is made up (Caroline Kennedy), the governor insists he remains undecided.

Not only that, but he maintains there is not even a front-runner right now. (Again, supposedly, Caroline Kennedy.)

“I can say definitively I do not know who the next senator from New York is right now,” Paterson said. “I would swear it.”

He told reporters he might even meet with “a candidate or two” while in Washington
before heading back to Albany, post-inaugural, to review questionnaires submitted by numerous applicants.

“I’m not leaning in one direction, but I think I’m focusing on a few candidates now who I think would be, in my mind, sort of finalists,” Paterson said.

How few? “I’m not going to give a number,” he replied. Nor did he offer any names.

Paterson did, however, offer a few insights into his thinking, noting that women make up more than half the population but hold only 17 of the 100 seats in the U.S. Senate -- a number that will fall by one when Clinton takes up her new Foggy Bottom residence as secretary of State.

“This can’t be a determining factor but is a valid point that women’s groups have raised,” Paterson said.

At the same time, Paterson continued, he has grown convinced the country’s economic problems are more than merely cyclical, meaning any Democrats he picks will have to deal with them for a number of years (presuming they’re capable of being reelected time and again, which is another criterion for his selection). “I’m giving it more credence than I did before,” Paterson said of the need for some economic creds.

Lunar notes that the last paragraph would indicate someone like Suozzi and that Paterson really wants to pick a woman
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »

Also, him defining economic experience credentials could be a way to rhetorically justify choosing a non-Caroline candidate
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/01/clinton-kennedy.html

New York’s Democratic governor, in Washington for tomorrow's presidential inauguration, met with reporters today and indicated he would probably find someone to fill Hillary Clinton’s U.S. Senate seat "by this weekend.”

And, contrary to reports suggesting Paterson’s mind is made up (Caroline Kennedy), the governor insists he remains undecided.

Not only that, but he maintains there is not even a front-runner right now. (Again, supposedly, Caroline Kennedy.)

“I can say definitively I do not know who the next senator from New York is right now,” Paterson said. “I would swear it.”

He told reporters he might even meet with “a candidate or two” while in Washington
before heading back to Albany, post-inaugural, to review questionnaires submitted by numerous applicants.

“I’m not leaning in one direction, but I think I’m focusing on a few candidates now who I think would be, in my mind, sort of finalists,” Paterson said.

How few? “I’m not going to give a number,” he replied. Nor did he offer any names.

Paterson did, however, offer a few insights into his thinking, noting that women make up more than half the population but hold only 17 of the 100 seats in the U.S. Senate -- a number that will fall by one when Clinton takes up her new Foggy Bottom residence as secretary of State.

“This can’t be a determining factor but is a valid point that women’s groups have raised,” Paterson said.

At the same time, Paterson continued, he has grown convinced the country’s economic problems are more than merely cyclical, meaning any Democrats he picks will have to deal with them for a number of years (presuming they’re capable of being reelected time and again, which is another criterion for his selection). “I’m giving it more credence than I did before,” Paterson said of the need for some economic creds.

Lunar notes that the last paragraph would indicate someone like Suozzi and that Paterson really wants to pick a woman

Paterson focusing heavily on economics bodes well for Suozzi considering what he did to turn around the finances here in Nassau.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »

my take on that-

Paterson wants to pick Suozzi and/or some other male that has really strong economic credentials, but is really afraid to piss off women's groups.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2009, 11:17:43 PM »

One thing that works well for Maloney, in addition to her being the ultimate feminist candidate, is that Kennedy lives in Maloney's district and could easily win the special election to replace her.  Thus Kennedy would satisfy her desire to get a day job in DC.  Picking Maloney would satisfy the political establishment as well, she's obviously next-in-line candidate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2009, 11:25:03 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/01/19/2009-01-19_gov_paterson_wont_say_but_eying_few_for_-2.html

At a Martin Luther King Day event in the city, Sen. Chuck Schumer, who has counseled Paterson on the issue, said he does not believe the governor has made up his mind.
Another Paterson confidant, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-Harlem), said while he could work with Kennedy, the governor shouldn't choose the daughter of Camelot just to avoid embarrassing her or her prominent family.

"One has to take a look at what individually is done, not what the family has done ... not just as a U.S. senator but senator from the Empire State," he said.

Asked whether he recommends Cuomo or Kennedy, Rangel demurred.

"I haven't the slightest idea to be honest with you. One [Cuomo] has worked hard in public service, that we know of, and the other carries a name that is legendary and international, so I can't help the governor on that," he said.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #249 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »

What would be the best site for NY politics? I'm using PolitickerNY but their morning email includes sources like NY Post, etc. Is there a way to reconcile that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies