Virginia 2009 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:18:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2009 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 50
Author Topic: Virginia 2009 Megathread  (Read 172236 times)
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: August 04, 2009, 11:45:01 PM »

Republicans did the same denial of reality in 2008.

SHUT UP!  I'M NOT LISTENING!  LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

you can't say 2 polls In a row are wrong because they are not favoring your party, that's just playing politics.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #726 on: August 05, 2009, 01:06:55 AM »

Republicans did the same denial of reality in 2008.

2006 for sure. I remember saying there was no way the Republicans would lose the Senate cause the GOP GOTV would save VA and MO for us in the end. Remember how that turned out. I wonder how Allen is enjoying his second term as Senator. Wink.

Yeah that was just pathetic.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #727 on: August 05, 2009, 08:24:57 AM »

The only good news for Deeds is that he has much more room to grow than McDonnell does. Most of the undecideds are black voters, and Deeds' supposed problem with them doesn't seem to be helping McDonnell, who's getting 3% of the black vote. I still don't think it's going to be a landslide, McDonnell will probably top out at 54-55% if he continues to lead like this.

Oh well, it was nice to dream.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #728 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:27 AM »

Wow, is this race over?  Sorry I haven't been paying attention to it, there's a governor's race that actually matters going on to the north
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #729 on: August 05, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »

Wow, is this race over?  Sorry I haven't been paying attention to it, there's a governor's race that actually matters going on to the north

It's not over, especially since Deeds has come back from oblivion twice before, but it's a heck of a hill to climb.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #730 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »

No, the race is far from over.  Deeds is down, but he'll be fine in the end, and manage a state that isn't full of corruption.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #731 on: August 05, 2009, 10:13:15 AM »

No, the race is far from over.  Deeds is down, but he'll be fine in the end, and manage a state that isn't full of corruption.
Is there anything short of pure optimism that makes you think he can overcome what has become a double-digit deficit?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #732 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »

Is there anything short of pure optimism that makes you think he can overcome what has become a double-digit deficit?

Yes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #733 on: August 05, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »

That PPP and SUSA aren't even attempting to weight their polls for the 2008 vote is a bad sign for the polling. Yes, the differential turnout for 2009 compared to 2008 will be bad for the Democrats---but not nearly that bad. They should be weighting to around a 2008 tie, which makes the race quite competitive in both polls.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #734 on: August 05, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »

That PPP and SUSA aren't even attempting to weight their polls for the 2008 vote is a bad sign for the polling. Yes, the differential turnout for 2009 compared to 2008 will be bad for the Democrats---but not nearly that bad. They should be weighting to around a 2008 tie, which makes the race quite competitive in both polls.

They didn't weight at all in 2008, and nailed it perfectly. I didn't hear you complaining then.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #735 on: August 05, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »

Terry McAuliffe would be ahead by 6-8 points right now. Oh well.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #736 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »

Terry McAuliffe would be ahead by 6-8 points right now. Oh well.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #737 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »

They didn't weight at all in 2008, and nailed it perfectly. I didn't hear you complaining then.

Oh, I would. Pollsters should always weight, and they didn't nail it perfectly. That's what I like about British polling; it's miles ahead of American in that way.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #738 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »

Oh, I would. Pollsters should always weight, and they didn't nail it perfectly. That's what I like about British polling; it's miles ahead of American in that way.

Too bad it isn't in terms of accuracy.  Go ask Al.

Couple of points:
1) Summer polling sucks.  Repeat.
2) That being said, folks seem to forget that pre-2008, pretty much every Virginia election had a party ID of 2-3 points GOP advantage.  I haven't forgotten.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #739 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »

Too bad it isn't in terms of accuracy.  Go ask Al.

Couple of points:
1) Summer polling sucks.  Repeat.
2) That being said, folks seem to forget that pre-2008, pretty much every Virginia election had a party ID of 2-3 points GOP advantage.  I haven't forgotten.

The bad years of British polling general stem from the pre-weighting period. Sure, they're not excellent anyway--no one is. But they don't deliver huge surprises now that weighting is used, pretty much ever, except at the local level where no one except news agencies really pretends you can poll effectively anyway.

And, sure, you're right about the voter ID. I'm not talking about voter ID, which is a stupid measurement and highly fluid. I'm talking about vote recall, which is much more important (maybe the most important) for weighting.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #740 on: August 06, 2009, 07:57:31 AM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0809/Deeds_and_Obama.html

this just opens the "what is Deeds afraid of?" line of attack, which is effective against both Obama voters who think Deeds shouldn't be hiding from the president and McCain voters who don't like the secret connection.

expect it to appear in an ad.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #741 on: August 06, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »

R2000/Daily Kos:

McDonnell 51%
Deeds 43%

http://www.dailykos.com/statepoll/2009/8/5/VA/321
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #742 on: August 06, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »

Weighted to 2008 party ID.  Obviously, you have to keep the troops enthused.

My last observation on the weighting issue is this:  I have no clue what Virginia will weight as come November with the exit polls.  But I am willing to bet considerable money it will not be Dem +6.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #743 on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

Looks like President Obama is going to be campaigning with Deeds today In Virginia.

http://www.deedsforvirginia.com/blog/main/2009/8/6/rally-for-virginia-tonight
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #744 on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »

Constine should be interesting on election night.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #745 on: August 07, 2009, 05:56:15 AM »

Too early to issue a suicide watch?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #746 on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »

Looks like 1997 redux. The real tragedy is Shannon's crap campaign.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: August 07, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

I don't understand why anyone would care at this race at all, its incredibly boring and uninteresting.  The candidates are bland, the issues are bland, and frankly its not even much of a race
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #748 on: August 07, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »

I don't understand why anyone would care at this race at all, its incredibly boring and uninteresting.  The candidates are bland, the issues are bland, and frankly its not even much of a race

I think it's interesting that McDonnell and Deeds almost have the urban-rural split switched along partisan lines, with McDonnell being quite a strong Republican in cities and suburbs while Deeds has been outperforming most Democrats in rural VA.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #749 on: August 07, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »

I think it's interesting that McDonnell and Deeds almost have the urban-rural split switched along partisan lines, with McDonnell being quite a strong Republican in cities and suburbs while Deeds has been outperforming most Democrats in rural VA.
That doesn't make for an interesting race.  NJ is an interesting race for a governor's seat that actually means something.  I mean seriously the governor of VA is a do-nothing job compared to the governor of NJ
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies