2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:35:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 320498 times)
Zarn
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: October 09, 2009, 08:21:33 AM »

How Corzine polls so astronomically well amongst those concerned about jobs and the economy when New Jersey has the worst economy in its region, I'll never know.

It's not rational to blame the governor for the state of the economy in any state, and people concerned about jobs and the economy in N.J. are presumably more in favor of an activist government looking out for the unemployed and hard-up than for tax cuts.

George W. Bush escaped blame for the economy in the 2002 elections, and he was about as responsible for that as Corzine is for N.J.'s economy (which isn't in that bad shape by national standards, anyway.)

If you don't know anything about Corzine, just stay out of it.

I'd love you to tell us how Corzine has destroyed the economy of New Jersey, and how Christie will fix it. But you can't.

I can, but Dem philosophy means you won't listen.

LOL. I'm about 70% sure I'll vote for Daggett at this point. I just see no evidence--at all--that Corzine is responsible for any of the mess the state is in.* You want to pretend you have something other than ideology backing your vote, be my guest. But I challenge that you can't come up with a single shred of evidence that Corzine, personally or through his policies, is responsible for any of the major issues facing New Jersey. Really, one piece of evidence (from a neutral source, not a Christie campaign website or something) shouldn't be hard to find.

*He may not have been very good at dealing with existing problems, I'll grant that. But here I challenge you to come up with a substantive policy difference of Christie's that would deal with the problems. No, his tiny cuts don't count (you could fire every state employee twice and not close the budget deficit), nor does municipal consolidation (which everyone advocates to some degree, Christie and Corzine equally tepidly).

I'm not here to do homework assignments.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1126 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:08 AM »

How Corzine polls so astronomically well amongst those concerned about jobs and the economy when New Jersey has the worst economy in its region, I'll never know.

It's not rational to blame the governor for the state of the economy in any state, and people concerned about jobs and the economy in N.J. are presumably more in favor of an activist government looking out for the unemployed and hard-up than for tax cuts.

George W. Bush escaped blame for the economy in the 2002 elections, and he was about as responsible for that as Corzine is for N.J.'s economy (which isn't in that bad shape by national standards, anyway.)

I'd love you to tell us how Corzine has destroyed the economy of New Jersey, and how Christie will fix it. But you can't.

LOL. I'm about 70% sure I'll vote for Daggett at this point. I just see no evidence--at all--that Corzine is responsible for any of the mess the state is in.* You want to pretend you have something other than ideology backing your vote, be my guest. But I challenge that you can't come up with a single shred of evidence that Corzine, personally or through his policies, is responsible for any of the major issues facing New Jersey. Really, one piece of evidence (from a neutral source, not a Christie campaign website or something) shouldn't be hard to find.

*He may not have been very good at dealing with existing problems, I'll grant that. But here I challenge you to come up with a substantive policy difference of Christie's that would deal with the problems. No, his tiny cuts don't count (you could fire every state employee twice and not close the budget deficit), nor does municipal consolidation (which everyone advocates to some degree, Christie and Corzine equally tepidly).

Or make coherent arguments apparently.
YankeeFan007
Dem4Life
Rookie

« Reply #1127 on: October 09, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »

That was a pretty sad and disappointing statement.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1128 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »

Sad and disappointing is a pretty good way to describe this campaign in general.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1129 on: October 09, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »

A Shaftan poll of 300 RV's(?!?) shows Christie up 1, 36-35.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1130 on: October 09, 2009, 12:57:13 PM »

Then you have no right to complain.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1131 on: October 09, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »

According to PPP's tweets, it looks like Corzine had a good first night of polling.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1132 on: October 09, 2009, 09:16:44 PM »

I found an article about the GOP's lack of funds in the Assembly races:

http://www.politickernj.com/matt-friedman/33903/gop-struggles-raise-money-assembly-races

Any thoughts?
YankeeFan007
Dem4Life
Rookie

« Reply #1133 on: October 09, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »

I just thought of something really funny today.  If Christie loses this election, your whole party will turn to Lonegan in the next election.  You guys will lose the Governor's office for 8 years.  I can imagine Lonegan telling Republicans that they'll never win if they keep rooting for the RINO Republican.  What a disaster that would be. 
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1134 on: October 09, 2009, 10:09:34 PM »

Don't be surprised if Guadagno has a future in NJ politics.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1135 on: October 10, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

The numbers are a bit skewed, for example I work for the LD36 candidates, and they have raised a ton of money since the last filing deadline.  The more interesting thing is the LD36 commercials where the incumbent Dems never mention they are Democrats and say they will go to Trenton and clean it up
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1136 on: October 10, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

Republicans are actually doing a lot better than most recent years.  I think Republicans are being outspent 3 to 1 in the Bergen County Freeholder race, for example, which is a lot better to the worse-than-10-to-1 that they usually get thumped by.

It's just the way things work in New Jersey.  If you have power, you're going to outraise your opponents by extraordinary margins.  Just part of the "corruption."

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1137 on: October 10, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey

Look under "Governor" and "Lieutenant Governor".

Am I going insane or does it say "Chris Christie" and "Kim Guadango"?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1138 on: October 10, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey

Look under "Governor" and "Lieutenant Governor".

Am I going insane or does it say "Chris Christie" and "Kim Guadango"?

Hahaha, it totally does.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1139 on: October 10, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »

Here's a rather crude, but accurate way to assess the New Jersy Gubenatorial election.

Imagine the voters as a rather plain girl who is going to a dance on Friday night with her girl friends.

She makes a bet for more money than she can afford that she will make it with a guy that night.

Only three guys show any significant interest in her.

One has money, a beard, and several types of VD.

A second is fat, dull and plain himself.

A third is a poor little nerd who lives with his mommy and rides a bike.

She really doesn't want any of them, but cannot afford to lose the bet.

So, guess who she (reluctantly) goes to bed with?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1140 on: October 10, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »

CARL you are so creepy
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1141 on: October 10, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »

solution is easy: rohypnol the fourth guy she actually likes
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1142 on: October 10, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »

Star-Ledger endorses Daggett:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2009/10/star-ledger_endorses_independe.html
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1143 on: October 10, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »

Do people still read the Star-Ledger?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1144 on: October 10, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »

where is that newspaper based anyway?  an underwater barge leaking nuclear toxins?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1145 on: October 10, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »

All we need is a new facial cleanser to get all the Mexican pimples off, and then Dreamboat Lonegan won't be able to resist our newfound feminine mystique.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1146 on: October 10, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »

Do people still read any newspaper?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1147 on: October 11, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »

Here's a rather crude, but accurate way to assess the New Jersy Gubenatorial election.

Imagine the voters as a rather plain girl who is going to a dance on Friday night with her girl friends.

She makes a bet for more money than she can afford that she will make it with a guy that night.

Only three guys show any significant interest in her.

One has money, a beard, and several types of VD.

A second is fat, dull and plain himself.

A third is a poor little nerd who lives with his mommy and rides a bike.

She really doesn't want any of them, but cannot afford to lose the bet.

So, guess who she (reluctantly) goes to bed with?

The fat, dull, plain guy, duh!
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #1148 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

Corzine (D): 44% (+3)
Christie (R): 40% (-2)
Daggett (I): 12% (+1)

From October 5 - 10, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,188 New Jersey likely voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1377
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1149 on: October 11, 2009, 10:07:19 AM »

Corzine (D): 44% (+3)
Christie (R): 40% (-2)
Daggett (I): 12% (+1)

From October 5 - 10, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,188 New Jersey likely voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1377

Uhh what? There's no such poll.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies