2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:02:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 320406 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: October 08, 2009, 08:17:23 AM »

Wow now I know why Corzine is able to compete (not that I didn't know this before).  At the healthcare debate at SHU last night, some guy from College Dems said Corzine needed volunteers to phone bank and pass out fliers (the stuff Christie has volunteers for) and was willing to pay $175 for 10 hours of work

Ouch.  Inflation.  It was $75-100 per day back when he ran against Franks.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1101 on: October 08, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »

I'd skip class all week for the kind of money, even if it wasn't the candidate I was backing.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1102 on: October 08, 2009, 08:43:40 AM »

I'd skip class all week for the kind of money, even if it wasn't the candidate I was backing.
I'm too swamped in Christie/LD36 work to even consider Tongue
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1103 on: October 08, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »

And if the 2000 campaign was any indication, you don't even really need to do any work!  Plus you get a neat-o t-shirt and everything!  GORE/CORZINE PERFECT TOGETHER
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1104 on: October 08, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »

The Burlington County GOP called me today. They asked for help by voting. I told them I would and that I was rallying the troops (anyone I know who wants Corzine out and has voted in last years election). I really don't want another four years of this garbage. I also told them I was unsure about the other Republican candidates. Odds are in favor of me not voting straight ticket.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1105 on: October 08, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »

For $17.50 an hour I'd probably campaign for even Mitt Romney.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1106 on: October 08, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »

Two new polls, though both are from Democratic pollsters.  I firmly believe that Democracy Corp is trash since they've been drastically off everyone else all cycle, and frankly, I know nothing about Penn, Schoen & Berland.

But anyway:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And, of course, GQR has Corzine leading now!  Cue the gasps from the audience!

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1107 on: October 08, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »

Hopefully it'll stay this close. It'd make election night at least marginally interesting.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1108 on: October 08, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »

SUSA has it 43-40-14 for Christie ...

Filtering: SurveyUSA interviewed 1,000 New Jersey adults 10/05/09 through 10/07/09. Of them, 889 were registered to vote. Of the registered voters, 639 were determined by SurveyUSA to be likely to vote in the 11/3 general election.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=172d95d0-4ed1-4613-8cb6-2a421218076a
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1109 on: October 08, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

SUSA has it 43-40-14 for Christie ...

Filtering: SurveyUSA interviewed 1,000 New Jersey adults 10/05/09 through 10/07/09. Of them, 889 were registered to vote. Of the registered voters, 639 were determined by SurveyUSA to be likely to vote in the 11/3 general election.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=172d95d0-4ed1-4613-8cb6-2a421218076a

Hmm, I was expecting a wider margin for Christie from them...
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1110 on: October 08, 2009, 02:01:35 PM »

How Corzine polls so astronomically well amongst those concerned about jobs and the economy when New Jersey has the worst economy in its region, I'll never know.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1111 on: October 08, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

More importantly, Corzine is winning the vote from Springsteen fans, apparently.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1112 on: October 08, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »

More importantly, Corzine is winning the vote from Springsteen fans, apparently.

It seems that Corzine is Born to Run Grin.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1113 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »

How Corzine polls so astronomically well amongst those concerned about jobs and the economy when New Jersey has the worst economy in its region, I'll never know.

It's not rational to blame the governor for the state of the economy in any state, and people concerned about jobs and the economy in N.J. are presumably more in favor of an activist government looking out for the unemployed and hard-up than for tax cuts.

George W. Bush escaped blame for the economy in the 2002 elections, and he was about as responsible for that as Corzine is for N.J.'s economy (which isn't in that bad shape by national standards, anyway.)
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1114 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »

It's not rational to blame the governor for the state of the economy in any state, and people concerned about jobs and the economy in N.J. are presumably more in favor of an activist government looking out for the unemployed and hard-up than for tax cuts.

George W. Bush escaped blame for the economy in the 2002 elections, and he was about as responsible for that as Corzine is for N.J.'s economy (which isn't in that bad shape by national standards, anyway.)

If you don't know anything about Corzine, just stay out of it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1115 on: October 08, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »

Wow. I'm sorry if this election isn't the self-esteem booster you were hoping for.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1116 on: October 08, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »

I'd love you to tell us how Corzine has destroyed the economy of New Jersey, and how Christie will fix it. But you can't.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1117 on: October 08, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »

Are you gonna have someone at every voting booth across the state fill out a questionnaire about the candidates, and if they fail, tell them to stay out of it?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1118 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »

Reaching CARL-like levels there...

Did anyone catch the debate tonight? I only caught the last 10 minutes... talking about charter schools and stuff.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1119 on: October 08, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »

I'd love you to tell us how Corzine has destroyed the economy of New Jersey, and how Christie will fix it. But you can't.

I can, but Dem philosophy means you won't listen.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1120 on: October 08, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »

Reaching CARL-like levels there...

Did anyone catch the debate tonight? I only caught the last 10 minutes... talking about charter schools and stuff.

I was at the debate. Was a good time yelling down union thugs outside.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1121 on: October 08, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »

(D)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1122 on: October 08, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »

Wow now I know why Corzine is able to compete (not that I didn't know this before).  At the healthcare debate at SHU last night, some guy from College Dems said Corzine needed volunteers to phone bank and pass out fliers (the stuff Christie has volunteers for) and was willing to pay $175 for 10 hours of work

Ouch.  Inflation.  It was $75-100 per day back when he ran against Franks.

Sharpe James did the same stuff.  he would even bus them up from out-of-state!  (cite: Street Fight)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1123 on: October 08, 2009, 11:56:50 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2009, 12:01:42 AM by Verily »

I can, but Dem philosophy means you won't listen.

LOL. I'm about 70% sure I'll vote for Daggett at this point. I just see no evidence--at all--that Corzine is responsible for any of the mess the state is in.* You want to pretend you have something other than ideology backing your vote, be my guest. But I challenge that you can't come up with a single shred of evidence that Corzine, personally or through his policies, is responsible for any of the major issues facing New Jersey. Really, one piece of evidence (from a neutral source, not a Christie campaign website or something) shouldn't be hard to find.

*He may not have been very good at dealing with existing problems, I'll grant that. But here I challenge you to come up with a substantive policy difference of Christie's that would deal with the problems. No, his tiny cuts don't count (you could fire every state employee twice and not close the budget deficit), nor does municipal consolidation (which everyone advocates to some degree, Christie and Corzine equally tepidly).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1124 on: October 09, 2009, 01:33:57 AM »

A little note into the economy argument regarding NJ.  Comparing unemployment in NJ to the national unemployment from the time Corzine was elected to now is almost identical.  In Jan of 06 NJ had an unemployment rate .1% higher than the national unemployment rate, as of August (the last state data available) NJ's unemployment was the exact same as August's national unemployment rate.  So NJ's unemployment was directly in line with the national #'s when he took over, and is now as well. 
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies