Is eyewitness testimony about crimes completely useless?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 07:36:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is eyewitness testimony about crimes completely useless?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is eyewitness testimony about crimes completely useless?
Yes

No (normal)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Is eyewitness testimony about crimes completely useless?  (Read 1049 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:48 PM »

One of my roommates and I were watching Cops, and he just made the asinine statement that "All eyewitness testimony is completely useless."

I witnessed an armed robbery and got the license plate number (KYY 512) and was able to identify that one of the guys had a shotgun and the other had a handgun.  That's a hell of a lot more than "completely useless."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »

This would be better on the Constitution & Law board, but whatever. Eyewitness testimony can be inaccurate (Rashomon phenomenon), but it is by no means useless.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »

One of your roommates likes to say dumb things out loud.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 11:09:13 PM »

No, though it is always biased by their perceptions.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »

No, it's useful in swaying the jury Smiley

Rin-chan
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »

To add on hearsay is what generally is uesless and for the most part isn't even allowed into evidence.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:30 PM »

To add on hearsay is what generally is uesless and for the most part isn't even allowed into evidence.

It's not allowed as evidence, but as I said in my comment, it is useful in swaying the jury to one side or the other.  If he is made to look like an idiot or like he's telling the truth, then he's very useful.  My dad has had cases where the witness was a complete jerk and he knew the jury would also see him that way and, because it would help his side of the case, he interviewed him.

Rin-chan
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »

It's not allowed as evidence, but as I said in my comment, it is useful in swaying the jury to one side or the other.  If he is made to look like an idiot or like he's telling the truth, then he's very useful.  My dad has had cases where the witness was a complete jerk and he knew the jury would also see him that way and, because it would help his side of the case, he interviewed him.

Rin-chan

You're confusing hearsay (basically I heard someone say X) with witness testimony. Or if you're not you're at least saying it badly. Tongue
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »

Rin-chan

You're confusing hearsay (basically I heard someone say X) with witness testimony. Or if you're not you're at least saying it badly. Tongue

lol I'm not.  I'm just godawful at explaining things lol

Rin-chan
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »

I think the roommate in question is either fond of hyperbole or simply ignorant.

On the matter of hearsay, it isn't allowed of course, with exceptions "spontaneous declarations" etc... Sometimes people conflate the fallibility of memory with the overwhelming fallibility of hearsay. Not even close.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:21:16 AM »

The lack of a fair and balanced poll is disturbing. Smiley

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 12:34:26 AM »

Rin-chan

What kind of lawyer?
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »

Rin-chan

What kind of lawyer?

A little of everything, but the vast majority are civil cases.  He's a partner in his own small business.  Recently, he's been doing a lot more subrogation, but a lot of his cases are personal injury.

Rin-chan
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »

As a to its reliability and verifiability, eyewitness evidence can be very, very dodgy.

It is though (rightly or wrongly) hugely valued by juries.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies