Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:02:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252572 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2175 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »

Fellow Mideasterners,

I'd like to announce my support of the current education legislation being debated here. I personally have a strong commitment to education. I think that Ben's idea of adding 1.0 to the GPA for AP classes is fantastic, however I would disagree with him on the issue of requiring schools to add all AP classes. I'd agree with the fact that we need greater mobility in school choice, allowing students to pursue their education in a manner that allows them to choose their school based on that school's particular curriculum offerings.

I strongly disagree with WilliamSargent's characterization of teachers. They have chosen to pursue a valuable and noble calling, and that is something we should encourage. I think that issue here is not to punish teachers, whom obviously can be dealt a rough hand due to the neighborhood or students they are given, but to encourage students to have a greater say in their education, creating an atmosphere where both teachers and students can flourish. I would in fact support legislation creating further incentives for teachers who do their jobs well, but I don't think we should be in the job of evaluating teachers at this level of government.

I'd also like to announce my support for the re-introduction of the office of Lt. Governor in our region, as I have discussed with Governor Tmthforu94. I think that this would relieve undue burden on him and allow for greater flexibility in the government.

I am creating this post to introduce myself to you all. I have been in talks with the Governor, and I'm sure he won't mind me saying this, to fill a vacant job on the assembly. I'd like to affirm my commitment to the region, and to working with all of you to solve the issues vital to the Mideast. I hope that we can see past any personal differences we might have and come to common ground in order to get the most out of this legislative body, and to do the best by the region. I thank you for your time and wish you all well,

Useful Idiot
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2176 on: June 23, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »

Assembly,
Something that was addressed several weeks ago was an error in our Constitution in Article III, Section 2, Clause 6. According to it, a Governor must sign legislation in order for it to be eligible for a public referendum. Therefore, a bill that became law after seven days couldn't face refendum since it was never signed. That error could have come in handy if there was ever a Governor who wanted a bill to pass but didn't want it to face public vote. They could just let the bill flow into law and that would be that.

I have had a good discussion with Badger about how to correctly fix this problem. He did most of the work, and I just threw in a few thoughts and ideas. Wink Anyways, I'd like to propose the following amendment to the Assembly for consideration:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you for your time,
Governor Tmthforu94

You're being modest, Governor, but thank you. Wink

Wow, between this, the budget bill, education reform, and now the request for a Constitutional Convention, this place has a serious 'to do' list this term. Cheesy
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2177 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »

Also, here's something I want to do after the Convention Call:

THE MIDEAST CONSISTENCY IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE ACT

Article II, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the Mideast Constitution is amended FROM:

"3.A nomination to the Superior Court shall only be held in the event of a need for the adjudication of a case pertaining to Mideast law within the Mideast region. The justice's tenure shall last only as long as needed to resolve the case at hand."

TO:

"3. A nomination to the Superior Court, unless terminated early by resignation or recall, or impeachment shall be subject to reconfirmation by majority vote of the Mideastern Assembly every third session of the Assembly after initial confirmation. Should the Assembly fail to take a vote on renomination of the Superior Court Judge during the session in which the judge is normally subject to reconfirmation, it will act as if the Judge is reconfirmed accordingly. "
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2178 on: June 23, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »

Also, here's something I want to do after the Convention Call:

THE MIDEAST CONSISTENCY IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE ACT

Article II, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the Mideast Constitution is amended FROM:

"3.A nomination to the Superior Court shall only be held in the event of a need for the adjudication of a case pertaining to Mideast law within the Mideast region. The justice's tenure shall last only as long as needed to resolve the case at hand."

TO:

"3. A nomination to the Superior Court, unless terminated early by resignation or recall, or impeachment shall be subject to reconfirmation by majority vote of the Mideastern Assembly every third session of the Assembly after initial confirmation. Should the Assembly fail to take a vote on renomination of the Superior Court Judge during the session in which the judge is normally subject to reconfirmation, it will act as if the Judge is reconfirmed accordingly. "

Note: In case any of y'all were wondering, this was passed before, and went to a public vote, where it failed. It has my personal support now, and I voted "Abstain" in the vote. I was having difficult RL issues at the time and just abstained so I could say I voted. I like the idea of this, and think it could save us time in the future.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2179 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »

I like this.  I didn't like the whole temporary judge thing in the first place.  Great amendment, Ben.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2180 on: June 23, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »

I like this.  I didn't like the whole temporary judge thing in the first place.  Great amendment, Ben.
^ Inks has said it all
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2181 on: June 23, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »

Hey guys, I wrote this Amendment for the ME Constitution concerning the Lt. Governor.  Feel free to try it. Wink

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2182 on: June 23, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »

I think everyone knows my position on Lieutenant Governor. Barnes, you did a splendid job writing this bill. I have been going back and forth on whether I'd like for there to be "tickets" or for the two offices to be elected separately, but I'm starting to lean towards the tickets. It would certainly make elections much more exciting and would make us the only region with tickets, which is pretty cool.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2183 on: June 23, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »

I support the changes Barnes has made Cheesy
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2184 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »

Why the hell are you adding a Lieutenant Governor? That post was abolished for a reason.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2185 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »

Why the hell are you adding a Lieutenant Governor? That post was abolished for a reason.

Hey, I wrote it to be helpful. They can do what they want with it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2186 on: June 24, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »

Seriously, I think this is worth repeating as many times as it takes. It is difficult enough to fill an Assembly. What possible uses are there for a Lieutenant Governor? The system in place in the Mideast is efficient and is not broken. So why are you trying to "fix" it?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2187 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:51 AM »

I don't get why the Lt. Governor post was removed. I also don't get why we need to restore it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2188 on: June 24, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »

Seriously, I think this is worth repeating as many times as it takes. It is difficult enough to fill an Assembly. What possible uses are there for a Lieutenant Governor? The system in place in the Mideast is efficient and is not broken. So why are you trying to "fix" it?

Sums it up aptly.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2189 on: June 24, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »

First of all, we have very active Assembly races. And also the Governor won't be here for some time he said in the summer, occasionally we can have a tied vote, tickets make elections more fun, and then we can have more help updating the wiki page
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2190 on: June 24, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »

First of all, we have very active Assembly races. And also the Governor won't be here for some time he said in the summer, occasionally we can have a tied vote, tickets make elections more fun, and then we can have more help updating the wiki page

And activity is top notch because competition exists. Expanding the number of offices reduces competition and makes elections meaningless. The ability to break tie votes is simply not a compelling reason to ruin our elections.

In addition, there is an effective procedure for the absence of the Governor and I don't think we need more than 6-7 people to update the regional Wiki.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2191 on: June 24, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »

And activity is top notch because competition exists. Expanding the number of offices reduces competition and makes elections meaningless. The ability to break tie votes is simply not a compelling reason to ruin our elections.

In addition, there is an effective procedure for the absence of the Governor and I don't think we need more than 6-7 people to update the regional Wiki.

because one new position is going to screw over the entire Assembly's elections. You heard the Governor himself, it makes  newbies more active, it worked for me.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2192 on: June 24, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »

because one new position is going to screw over the entire Assembly's elections. You heard the Governor himself, it makes  newbies more active, it worked for me.

and if so many people are updating it...why is the latest legislation on the wiki page from two Assemblys ago? https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Mideast_Statute#Legislation_Considered_in_the_10th_Assembly:
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2193 on: June 24, 2010, 05:35:51 PM »

and if so many people are updating it...why is the latest legislation on the wiki page from two Assemblys ago? https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Mideast_Statute#Legislation_Considered_in_the_10th_Assembly:

Activity is not inspired when elections are meaningless. Look at the Pacific, the land where newbies go to die (no offense to my VP-elect).

And your last post is just silly. If we have 6 elected officials and none update the Wiki, why should I believe that adding a seventh will suddenly change all that? Oh, and I should mention it is the constitutional duty of the Governor to update the Wiki. In fact, I believe this body will soon be duty-bound by the Constitution to appoint an acting Governor from its ranks until such time as the Governor has fulfilled his duty to update the Wiki for all actions performed under his term.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2194 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »

I will accept Ben's amendment to the schools bills as friendly.  Would anybody like to see furthur debate on this of can I call it to a vote?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2195 on: June 24, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »

Activity is not inspired when elections are meaningless. Look at the Pacific, the land where newbies go to die (no offense to my VP-elect).

And your last post is just silly. If we have 6 elected officials and none update the Wiki, why should I believe that adding a seventh will suddenly change all that? Oh, and I should mention it is the constitutional duty of the Governor to update the Wiki. In fact, I believe this body will soon be duty-bound by the Constitution to appoint an acting Governor from its ranks until such time as the Governor has fulfilled his duty to update the Wiki for all actions performed under his term.
That is simply ridiculous. The reason the Wiki is so far behind is because I have been stuck working on the two sessions before me, as the previous Governor didn't bother to update it. (Sorry SC Sad ) It really bugs me that you let it slide when Swedish Cheese goes an entire term without updating the statue and then you say I, who has at least started on it and isn't even 1/4 through h is term, should be replaced by an acting Governor because I'm behind on Wiki. Maybe I wouldn't be behind if I only had to do the Wiki for my term, and not the term before me!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2196 on: June 24, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »

I'd also like to add, Mr. "President-elect" that in case you haven't read our Constitution in a while...

It hasn't been thirty days yet, so it would be unconstitutional for the Assembly to appoint an acting Governor.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2197 on: June 24, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »

Whoa, whoa.

First Tmth, I am bringing this up simply because some members of the Assembly feel that the way to solve the Wiki problem is to simply create more positions, rather than helping you out themselves. I am stressing why a Lieutenant Governor would harm the region's activity without any plausible benefit.

I'd also like to add, Mr. "President-elect" that in case you haven't read our Constitution in a while...

It hasn't been thirty days yet, so it would be unconstitutional for the Assembly to appoint an acting Governor.

Reread what I wrote please.

Nowhere did I say you should be removed right now. Also, I should note that you are primarily responsible for the legislation passed under your watch, not under the administrations before you, per the Mideast Constitution. I encourage you to start in your administration and go backwards.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2198 on: June 25, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

Whoa, whoa.

First Tmth, I am bringing this up simply because some members of the Assembly feel that the way to solve the Wiki problem is to simply create more positions, rather than helping you out themselves. I am stressing why a Lieutenant Governor would harm the region's activity without any plausible benefit.

Nowhere did I say you should be removed right now. Also, I should note that you are primarily responsible for the legislation passed under your watch, not under the administrations before you, per the Mideast Constitution. I encourage you to start in your administration and go backwards.
My apologies for snapping at you last night. It was midnight, I was tired, and it simply bugged me that people were criticizing me for not updating the wiki but didn't say a word when previous administrations have gone months without updating the Wiki.
P.S. The wiki that I am responsible for is almost completely updated.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2199 on: June 25, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »

Whoa, whoa.

My apologies for snapping at you last night. It was midnight, I was tired, and it simply bugged me that people were criticizing me for not updating the wiki but didn't say a word when previous administrations have gone months without updating the Wiki.
P.S. The wiki that I am responsible for is almost completely updated.

And I am simply saying just one more reason we should have a Lt. Gov. I'm not saying my sole reason is that they'd held the Governor updating a wiki page.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies