Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252448 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2150 on: June 19, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »

Shouldn't it also only be necessary that if we are boosting GPAs for AP classes, we make sure every student as the ability to take an AP class? Either at their school, or a near by school that they can go to for just a class in the day.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2151 on: June 19, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »

Shouldn't it also only be necessary that if we are boosting GPAs for AP classes, we make sure every student as the ability to take an AP class? Either at their school, or a near by school that they can go to for just a class in the day.

I would welcome an amendment requiring every school to offer AP classes.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2152 on: June 19, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »

I would welcome an amendment requiring every school to offer AP classes.

but how can we fund this though? Getting enough teachers for all these classes? Perhaps if we just made sure somehow that between a a group of two or three schools they cover everything?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2153 on: June 19, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »

but how can we fund this though? Getting enough teachers for all these classes? Perhaps if we just made sure somehow that between a a group of two or three schools they cover everything?

It's simple: cut down the number of intensified classes, and turn them into AP's, or turn all IB classes into AP's, etc.  The teachers are there, we just need to alter the classes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2154 on: June 20, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »

It's simple: cut down the number of intensified classes, and turn them into AP's, or turn all IB classes into AP's, etc.  The teachers are there, we just need to alter the classes.
I would like to point out that there are at least 10, maybe more AP courses high schools can offer. It would be extremely costly if we required every school to offer all of them. My suggestion would be to require each school to offer a certain amount of AP courses, but not all of them.

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2155 on: June 20, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »

I would like to point out that there are at least 10, maybe more AP courses high schools can offer. It would be extremely costly if we required every school to offer all of them. My suggestion would be to require each school to offer a certain amount of AP courses, but not all of them.

that's what we're working on, making sure between at least 3 nearby schools, students can reach every AP class. The 3 schools also wouldn't have to be in a set trio. Like School A could share classes with B and C, and B could share classes with A and D etc.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2156 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »

that's what we're working on, making sure between at least 3 nearby schools, students can reach every AP class. The 3 schools also wouldn't have to be in a set trio. Like School A could share classes with B and C, and B could share classes with A and D etc.
That would be a possibility, though it would cost money unless we required that the students find their own transportation to another school, which I'm not sure is the best way. What if a school was about 30 minutes, or even an hour away from another school? I'm sure that somewhere in this region, that is the case. How will we be able to afford that?
Personally, I think the best option right now, given our economic struggles, is to just require each school to offer a certain amount of AP courses, my suggestion being between 2-4. Maybe in the future we could expand.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2157 on: June 21, 2010, 02:16:45 PM »

That would be a possibility, though it would cost money unless we required that the students find their own transportation to another school, which I'm not sure is the best way. What if a school was about 30 minutes, or even an hour away from another school? I'm sure that somewhere in this region, that is the case. How will we be able to afford that?
Personally, I think the best option right now, given our economic struggles, is to just require each school to offer a certain amount of AP courses, my suggestion being between 2-4. Maybe in the future we could expand.
2-4 AP classes i nothing, that's why the bill I think was brought up in the first place...to make sure students can get more AP classes then that, especially say if all 4 are in science (many times this is true) and they are just really good at social studies and english
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2158 on: June 21, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »

2-4 AP classes i nothing, that's why the bill I think was brought up in the first place...to make sure students can get more AP classes then that, especially say if all 4 are in science (many times this is true) and they are just really good at social studies and english
Incorrect. The purpose of this bill was to encourage high school students to take more challenging courses and reward them for it. I think I would know, given that I wrote the bill. Wink
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2159 on: June 21, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »

Incorrect. The purpose of this bill was to encourage high school students to take more challenging courses and reward them for it. I think I would know, given that I wrote the bill. Wink

sorry, I was talking about the amendment and then combined that with the bill so let me start over. I think that it is only resonable if we are going to weigh GPAs, that every student have the ability to take all those AP classes. It isn't fair one school has access to all calsses and another has just AP Biology.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2160 on: June 21, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »

sorry, I was talking about the amendment and then combined that with the bill so let me start over. I think that it is only resonable if we are going to weigh GPAs, that every student have the ability to take all those AP classes. It isn't fair one school has access to all calsses and another has just AP Biology.
No class would have just AP Biology if we required a minimum amount of AP courses that exceeded one. Wink Maybe we should entertain the idea of allowing students to choose any school in their area without paying out-of-district tuition?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2161 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:20 PM »

No class would have just AP Biology if we required a minimum amount of AP courses that exceeded one. Wink Maybe we should entertain the idea of allowing students to choose any school in their area without paying out-of-district tuition?
I like that too...though to please the liberals how about adding the word "public" in front of school Wink
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #2162 on: June 21, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »

I like that too...though to please the liberals how about adding the word "public" in front of school Wink

Yeah, because going to a school that's not a holding pen for bad teachers, whose very existence relies on unreliable standardised testing scores, would obviously scar children for life.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2163 on: June 22, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »

Yeah, because going to a school that's not a holding pen for bad teachers, whose very existence relies on unreliable standardised testing scores, would obviously scar children for life.
not all public schools are trash you know. And hence the point of letting kids take AP classes at other schools or even open enrolling in other public schools without penalty. It gives them choice. Isn't that what "I went to private school" conservatives are all about? Competition?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2164 on: June 22, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »

Pardon the interuption, but:

Announcement: Constitutional Convention

Calling all regional governors, lt. governors, speakers, legislatures and citizens,

The main plank in the Purple State/Marokai Blue platform was a constitutional convention to consolidate the constitution and refresh the game. The size and nature of this reform is such that I would like to begin almost immediately upon taking office and so I ask each region to consider and pass the following resolution as quickly as possible:

Third Constitutional Convention Petition

The (insert region name) Region formally petitions the President of Atlasia to call a Constitutional Convention for the purposes of consolidation of the constitution and/or legislative reboot of the game.

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

~PS
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #2165 on: June 22, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »

It's simple: cut down the number of intensified classes, and turn them into AP's, or turn all IB classes into AP's, etc.  The teachers are there, we just need to alter the classes.

not all public schools are trash you know. And hence the point of letting kids take AP classes at other schools or even open enrolling in other public schools without penalty. It gives them choice. Isn't that what "I went to private school" conservatives are all about? Competition?

I went to a public school. I certainly think that the options of minorities would be better if they didn't go to a piece of crap public school that exists solely to provide jobs for overpaid, spoiled teachers that don't deserve half of what I earn.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2166 on: June 22, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »

I went to a public school. I certainly think that the options of minorities would be better if they didn't go to a piece of crap public school that exists solely to provide jobs for overpaid, spoiled teachers that don't deserve half of what I earn.
I would agree without you minus the fact that public school teachers really don't get paid a lot, especially in urban poor areas.

And I don't think it's the teacher's fault when they are given a group of kids where half are the breadwinners and work night jobs, some don’t speak English and many are on drugs and then expect the teacher to make them all brilliant while their hands are tied behind a failed and useless curriculum
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2167 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »

Assembly,
Something that was addressed several weeks ago was an error in our Constitution in Article III, Section 2, Clause 6. According to it, a Governor must sign legislation in order for it to be eligible for a public referendum. Therefore, a bill that became law after seven days couldn't face refendum since it was never signed. That error could have come in handy if there was ever a Governor who wanted a bill to pass but didn't want it to face public vote. They could just let the bill flow into law and that would be that.

I have had a good discussion with Badger about how to correctly fix this problem. He did most of the work, and I just threw in a few thoughts and ideas. Wink Anyways, I'd like to propose the following amendment to the Assembly for consideration:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you for your time,
Governor Tmthforu94
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #2168 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »

Assembly,
Something that was addressed several weeks ago was an error in our Constitution in Article III, Section 2, Clause 6. According to it, a Governor must sign legislation in order for it to be eligible for a public referendum. Therefore, a bill that became law after seven days couldn't face refendum since it was never signed. That error could have come in handy if there was ever a Governor who wanted a bill to pass but didn't want it to face public vote. They could just let the bill flow into law and that would be that.

I have had a good discussion with Badger about how to correctly fix this problem. He did most of the work, and I just threw in a few thoughts and ideas. Wink Anyways, I'd like to propose the following amendment to the Assembly for consideration:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you for your time,
Governor Tmthforu94

I accept, even though I live in Pennsylvania and I'm just vacationing in French Lick Smiley.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2169 on: June 22, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »

I accept, even though I live in Pennsylvania and I'm just vacationing in French Lick Smiley.
Oh? And how is that treating you? I've personally never made it down to French Lick, but I hear it's a fancy attraction. If I remember correctly, President Lincoln made a stop or two there. Wink
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #2170 on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »

Oh? And how is that treating you? I've personally never made it down to French Lick, but I hear it's a fancy attraction. If I remember correctly, President Lincoln made a stop or two there. Wink

It's pretty nice, but vacations are never long enough.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2171 on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:17 PM »

Sadly, they aren't. Sad Make the most of your remaining time! Indiana is a great state with a great Governor! Smiley
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #2172 on: June 22, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »

Sadly, they aren't. Sad Make the most of your remaining time! Indiana is a great state with a great Governor! Smiley

Thank you, and very true Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2173 on: June 22, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »

At the request of the President-elect, I'm introducing this:

Third Constitutional Convention Petition

The Mideast Region formally petitions the President of Atlasia to call a Constitutional Convention for the purposes of consolidation of the constitution and/or legislative reboot of the game.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2174 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »

I'm just waiting for HW's budget bill...I thought that would have been the entire focus in this assembly/the most heated topic that we'd spend the whole time debating not to mention actually getting our first budget together.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies