Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:28:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252422 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: June 07, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »

Would everyone be open to beginning the vote now on the animal protection act?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2126 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »

Bump.
Maybe we can clear up this problem in time to put the constitutional change on the ballot the same day as the abortion ban referendum (in just under two weeks)?
Smart thinking, Badger.
Here's a sketch of what I'd imagine it looking like. Something else that has been brought up, which I agree with, is that we should consider upping the amount of citizens it takes to force a public referendum. We could either do a certain number of people or a percentage. Having a percentage would be able to adjust to our changing population, and we wouldn't have to worry about amending it probably ever again. Having a set number would make things slightly less complicated and more "stable", but there's a chance we'd have to come back and amend it again. For the amendment below, I went ahead and put 20% of Mideast citizens, but it's whatever the Assembly feels most comfortable with.

For example, 20% of our current population is 8.4 voters. I assume we'd always round up, so a referendum would require 9 signatures. I think this would be the best way, personally.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2127 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »

Also, something I noticed that needs fixing is the Election law - we only specifically outline what to do for a tie up to the 3rd Assembly seat, and not for the 4th or 5th (since, when the law was created, we didn't have a 4th or 5th).
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2128 on: June 07, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

Would everyone be open to beginning the vote now on the animal protection act?

No, at least not until after my questions are taken care of. Also, I think we need to consider what ben is saying, too.

Also, we ought to address what Inks said. I will draft legislation on this soon.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2129 on: June 07, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »

One more thing - I know there's been unhappiness about the method we use to elect Assemblymen.  If yall were planning on changing that completely, don't waste time correcting the error that I pointed out earlier, but rather use this time as a time to change the election process as a whole.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2130 on: June 07, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »

My big concern, which has already been discussed, are the apparently draconian punishments the bill proscribes.  I'd need to see them significantly reduced before I would consider voting for this.
If we reduced it, we wouldn't be following the bill passed in the Senate. And if we don't follow that bill, we'll lose funding.
I personally find the punishments to be quite fair. They aren't ridiculous, but they are stern enough to encourage people not to abuse animals.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2131 on: June 08, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »

Also, something I noticed that needs fixing is the Election law - we only specifically outline what to do for a tie up to the 3rd Assembly seat, and not for the 4th or 5th (since, when the law was created, we didn't have a 4th or 5th).

Are you sure, Inks? I'm too busy to look this up right now, but I thought we'd made a change to the statutory and constitutional language after the Assembly was expanded to 5 seats. IIRC it was pointed out just days before our first 5 seat election.

If correct, this obviously needs changed. Again, maybe this can be addressed in time to be placed on the ballot with the other pending measures.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2132 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »

Are you sure, Inks? I'm too busy to look this up right now, but I thought we'd made a change to the statutory and constitutional language after the Assembly was expanded to 5 seats. IIRC it was pointed out just days before our first 5 seat election.

If correct, this obviously needs changed. Again, maybe this can be addressed in time to be placed on the ballot with the other pending measures.

Yes.  That legislation was for procedures for counting the votes of the 4th and 5th spot.  This is for tie-breaking the 4th/5th spot.  The only reason I noticed it is because we had a potential tie-breaking event in this past election.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2133 on: June 08, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »

Yes.  That legislation was for procedures for counting the votes of the 4th and 5th spot.  This is for tie-breaking the 4th/5th spot.  The only reason I noticed it is because we had a potential tie-breaking event in this past election.

Good catch, Senator.

Again, as this would seem to be an easy and non-partisan fix, hopefully the Assembly can get a correction passed in time for the Mideast Amendment-pallooza 2010 vote coming shortly.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #2134 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:18 PM »

Would I have still been elected?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2135 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »

No - this error didn't affect the outcome.  And even if it had, in a court of law, it could've easily been argued that the intent would be to carry over the tie-breaking procedures used for the 1st-3rd place spots.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2136 on: June 10, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »

The Animal Protection Bill, having not been debated for more than 48 hours is hereby brought to a vote:

AYE
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2137 on: June 10, 2010, 06:42:44 PM »

Aye.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2138 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »

AYE
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2139 on: June 10, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »

Abstain
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #2140 on: June 10, 2010, 08:36:09 PM »

Aye
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2141 on: June 11, 2010, 07:21:47 AM »

By a vote of four in the affirmative, 0 in the negative, and one abstention this bill is passed and hereby sent to the Governor for his signature or veto.

Animal Protection Act

1. The Mideast recognizes animal cruelty as the following: a. Wilfull neglect b. Malicious killing c. Beatings d. Animal Fighting ie Dog fight, cock fight for sport.

2. The Mideast doesn't recognize the following as animal cruelty: a. Hunting for food or sport as regulated by local environmental protection laws b. Killing Animals for food.

3 No person shall:

(a) Torture an animal, deprive one of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beat, needlessly mutilate or kill, or impound or confine an animal without supplying it during such confinement with a sufficient quantity of good wholesome food and water;

(b) Impound or confine an animal without affording it, during such confinement, access to shelter from wind, rain, snow, or excessive direct sunlight if it can reasonably be expected that the animals would otherwise become sick or in some other way suffer. Division (3)(b) of this section does not apply to animals impounded or confined immediately prior to slaughter.

(c) Carry or convey an animal in a cruel or inhuman[e] manner;

4. Any person under the age of 18, who is found guilty of animal abuse is required to undergo psychological evaluation to determine if the child needs individual or family counseling. If found sane said person shall serve a maximum of 1 year in juvenile jail. Parents or Guardians of said person under 18, are liable for all cost for the evaluation/counseling/fine.

5. If a person over the age of 18 commits animal abuse, said person shall serve a maximum of 1 year in jail and/or 5,000 dollars fine.

6. Except as otherwise permitted by Paragraph 7 below, the use of animals for testing of non-medicinal products related to ordinary grooming and care including, but not limited to cosmetics, non medicinal soaps, perfumes, colognes, non medicinal shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other toiletries not specifically prescibed by a licensed medical practitioner, is banned.

7. A producer of the items described in Section 6 above may apply to the Atlasian Regional Department of Commerce for a licensed exemption from this rule if the following can be demonstrated:

a) The product or substance in question cannot be feasibly tested or made safe in accordance with existing food and drug testing regulations for human use or consumption by using methods excluding the use of non-animal testing; or

b) Such animal testing procedures are certified by the Department of Commerce to not cause undue, prolonged pain or suffering of the tested animals, and that any animals ultimately exterminated as a result of such testing are specifically bred and raised for purpose of such testing rather than wild caught.

c) For determination of "feasible" pursuant to section 7) (a) above, a non-animal testing procedure that does not raise the estimated wholesale cost of producing said item by over 50% is presumed feasible.

8. Nothing in this Act shall be construed to limit or prohibit the use of animal testing as otherwise permitted by law in legitimate scientific or medical research not directly related to the commercial development of such products described in Section 6 above.

9. An organization, business or individual proprietor who violates Section 6 above may be fined up to $500k $500,000 per violation.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2142 on: June 11, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »

HW, are you still working on our regional budget creation bill? I'm not being pushy, just still wanted to make sure we are going to be pushing for a real budget.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2143 on: June 12, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »

HW, are you still working on our regional budget creation bill? I'm not being pushy, just still wanted to make sure we are going to be pushing for a real budget.

Mostly my planned bill is the one a few pages back.  Just waiting for the right moment to introduce it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2144 on: June 17, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »

Quick Note:
I managed to get on the computer to submit the voting booth. Wink I might not be on to close the voting booth, but that shouldn't matter. It'll be taken care of Sunday night for sure.

Take Care,
Governor Isaac Smiley
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2145 on: June 19, 2010, 05:16:33 AM »

Since it seems that for now nobody else has any bills to submit I will submit this for the Governor.  There will now be 48 hours for debate.

Weighted Grades Amendment
Whereas: The Mideast government feels we need to take extra steps to encourage high school students to take challenging courses so that they may reach their full potnetial.
Be It Resolved:
Section One:
1. All public and charter schools in the Mideast region shall conform to a 4.0 grading scale system.
Section Two:
1. For every advanced placement course (AP) or honor course taken by a Mideast student in grades 9-12, student shall have an additional .25 to their overall GPA for the semester, assuming they receive a grade above C in the course.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2146 on: June 19, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »

Actually, I'd amend it so that in each AP course, the GPA for that class is increased by 1.0 points as long as they get a C, so that someone getting an A in AP Bio would have a 5.0, a B would have a 4.0, and a C would have a 3.0
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2147 on: June 19, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »

If you could just write up that sort of amendment Ben I would happily accept it as friendly.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2148 on: June 19, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

Actually, I'd amend it so that in each AP course, the GPA for that class is increased by 1.0 points as long as they get a C, so that someone getting an A in AP Bio would have a 5.0, a B would have a 4.0, and a C would have a 3.0

Sounds good
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2149 on: June 19, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »

I think this is written correctly:

"Section 2.1 shall be amended to read:
For every Mideast student in grades 9-12, student shall have an extra 1.0 points added to each end of year grade in every Advanced Placement (AP) class in which they have received an end of year grade of at least a C."
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies