Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:02:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252571 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: May 29, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »

The whatever session of the Assembly is adjourned (I think 10th, but I'm too lazy to look it up).

The new session of the Assembly is now called to order.  Please swear yourselves in.  Smiley
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2101 on: May 29, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »

Animal Protection Act
1. The Mideast recognizes animal cruelty as the following: a. Wilfull neglect b. Malicious killing c. Beatings d. Animal Fighting ie Dog fight, cock fight for sport.

2. The Mideast doesn't recognize the following as animal cruelty: a. Hunting for food or sport as regulated by local environmental protection laws b. Killing Animals for food.

3 No person shall:

(a) Torture an animal, deprive one of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beat, needlessly mutilate or kill, or impound or confine an animal without supplying it during such confinement with a sufficient quantity of good wholesome food and water;

(b) Impound or confine an animal without affording it, during such confinement, access to shelter from wind, rain, snow, or excessive direct sunlight if it can reasonably be expected that the animals would otherwise become sick or in some other way suffer. Division (3)(b) of this section does not apply to animals impounded or confined immediately prior to slaughter.

(c) Carry or convey an animal in a cruel or inhuman[e] manner;

4. Any person under the age of 18, who is found guilty of animal abuse is required to undergo psychological evaluation to determine if the child needs individual or family counseling. If found sane said person shall serve a maximum of 1 year in juvenile jail. Parents or Guardians of said person under 18, are liable for all cost for the evaluation/counseling/fine.

5. If a person over the age of 18 commits animal abuse, said person shall serve a maximum of 1 year in jail and/or 5,000 dollars fine.

6. Except as otherwise permitted by Paragraph 7 below, the use of animals for testing of non-medicinal products related to ordinary grooming and care including, but not limited to cosmetics, non medicinal soaps, perfumes, colognes, non medicinal shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other toiletries not specifically prescibed by a licensed medical practitioner, is banned.

7. A producer of the items described in Section 6 above may apply to the Atlasian Regional Department of Commerce for a licensed exemption from this rule if the following can be demonstrated:

a) The product or substance in question cannot be feasibly tested or made safe in accordance with existing food and drug testing regulations for human use or consumption by using methods excluding the use of non-animal testing; or

b) Such animal testing procedures are certified by the Department of Commerce to not cause undue, prolonged pain or suffering of the tested animals, and that any animals ultimately exterminated as a result of such testing are specifically bred and raised for purpose of such testing rather than wild caught.

c) For determination of "feasible" pursuant to section 7) (a) above, a non-animal testing procedure that does not raise the estimated wholesale cost of producing said item by over 50% is presumed feasible.

8. Nothing in this Act shall be construed to limit or prohibit the use of animal testing as otherwise permitted by law in legitimate scientific or medical research not directly related to the commercial development of such products described in Section 6 above.

9. An organization, business or individual proprietor who violates Section 6 above may be fined up to $500k $500,000 per violation.

What an irony to see this proposal (I've nothing against it, I'm in favour of it) and especially clause 5, in the midst of the "big debate" on so-called "monstrous" new Mideast Abortion Statute...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2102 on: May 29, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »

What an irony to see this proposal (I've nothing against it, I'm in favour of it) and especially clause 5, in the midst of the "big debate" on so-called "monstrous" new Mideast Abortion Statute...
My friend, I requested that Assemblyman Hawkeye introduce this bill. There was a bill passed in the Atlasian Senate that requires each region to pass this bill. Otherwise, they lose funding.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2103 on: May 29, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »

Oh, no problem...
I'm a bit fed up with this game and so, it was a good way to leave. At least, the Mideast is the most "active" region, now Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2104 on: May 30, 2010, 08:38:45 AM »

I'd like to announce that I will be running for Speaker of the Assembly.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #2105 on: May 30, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »

I'd like to announce that I will be running for Speaker of the Assembly.

I hope you get it. You will be a great speaker.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2106 on: May 30, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »

Inks.LWC steps up to the the podium to address an almost empty chamber.

My fellow Assemblymen, Mideasterners, it is in a bittersweet moment that I now announce my resignation from this great Assembly.  I have been appointed to represent our great region in the nation's capital.

I wish this Assembly the best as they accomplish great things here.  While I won't be voting on it, I encourage the Assembly to pass a regional budget, and I will always be willing to give suggestions if my advice is wanted.

My time here has been great, and I wish all of you the best.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #2107 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »

Inks.LWC steps up to the the podium to address an almost empty chamber.

My fellow Assemblymen, Mideasterners, it is in a bittersweet moment that I now announce my resignation from this great Assembly.  I have been appointed to represent our great region in the nation's capital.

I wish this Assembly the best as they accomplish great things here.  While I won't be voting on it, I encourage the Assembly to pass a regional budget, and I will always be willing to give suggestions if my advice is wanted.

My time here has been great, and I wish all of you the best.

I wish you best of luck in the Senate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2108 on: May 30, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »

HW has my support for Speaker.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2109 on: May 31, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »

Shall we vote for Speaker now that the old one is no longer in the Assembly?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2110 on: May 31, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »

Shall we vote for Speaker now that the old one is no longer in the Assembly?

I'd argue that we just elect HappyWarrior by acclamation, as he's the only one to show any interest.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2111 on: May 31, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »

I will be leaving tomorrow morning for a week.

My vote goes to officepark unless HW is the only candidate in which I vote for him by acclamation
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2112 on: June 01, 2010, 12:53:54 AM »

I thank A-bob for encouraging me to run for speaker (it is the first time that I have ever expressed interest in the position), but:

1. it's obvious that I'd lose 3-2 to HappyWarrior, and
2. I don't actually have any objections to having HappyWarrior as speaker.

So, I must say that I won't run, and that I will let HappyWarrior be in charge for this session.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2113 on: June 01, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »

Excellent; as Dean, if I am allowed, I'll declare HappyWarrior the new Speaker by unanimous decision, and turn things over to him.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2114 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »

Thank you everyone for making me the new Mideast Speaker of the Assembly.  Now I believe the first order of business is that any bills people want considered must be submitted or resubmitted if they were submitted in the previous session.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2115 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:15 AM »

Is anyone going to post their bills?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #2116 on: June 04, 2010, 05:39:24 PM »

Animal Protection Act
1. The Mideast recognizes animal cruelty as the following: a. Wilfull neglect b. Malicious killing c. Beatings d. Animal Fighting ie Dog fight, cock fight for sport.

2. The Mideast doesn't recognize the following as animal cruelty: a. Hunting for food or sport as regulated by local environmental protection laws b. Killing Animals for food.

3 No person shall:

(a) Torture an animal, deprive one of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beat, needlessly mutilate or kill, or impound or confine an animal without supplying it during such confinement with a sufficient quantity of good wholesome food and water;

(b) Impound or confine an animal without affording it, during such confinement, access to shelter from wind, rain, snow, or excessive direct sunlight if it can reasonably be expected that the animals would otherwise become sick or in some other way suffer. Division (3)(b) of this section does not apply to animals impounded or confined immediately prior to slaughter.

(c) Carry or convey an animal in a cruel or inhuman[e] manner;

4. Any person under the age of 18, who is found guilty of animal abuse is required to undergo psychological evaluation to determine if the child needs individual or family counseling. If found sane said person shall serve a maximum of 1 year in juvenile jail. Parents or Guardians of said person under 18, are liable for all cost for the evaluation/counseling/fine.

5. If a person over the age of 18 commits animal abuse, said person shall serve a maximum of 1 year in jail and/or 5,000 dollars fine.

6. Except as otherwise permitted by Paragraph 7 below, the use of animals for testing of non-medicinal products related to ordinary grooming and care including, but not limited to cosmetics, non medicinal soaps, perfumes, colognes, non medicinal shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other toiletries not specifically prescibed by a licensed medical practitioner, is banned.

7. A producer of the items described in Section 6 above may apply to the Atlasian Regional Department of Commerce for a licensed exemption from this rule if the following can be demonstrated:

a) The product or substance in question cannot be feasibly tested or made safe in accordance with existing food and drug testing regulations for human use or consumption by using methods excluding the use of non-animal testing; or

b) Such animal testing procedures are certified by the Department of Commerce to not cause undue, prolonged pain or suffering of the tested animals, and that any animals ultimately exterminated as a result of such testing are specifically bred and raised for purpose of such testing rather than wild caught.

c) For determination of "feasible" pursuant to section 7) (a) above, a non-animal testing procedure that does not raise the estimated wholesale cost of producing said item by over 50% is presumed feasible.

8. Nothing in this Act shall be construed to limit or prohibit the use of animal testing as otherwise permitted by law in legitimate scientific or medical research not directly related to the commercial development of such products described in Section 6 above.

9. An organization, business or individual proprietor who violates Section 6 above may be fined up to $500k $500,000 per violation.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2117 on: June 04, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »

Hey guys,

Tmth sent me this message to you guys via AIM:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2118 on: June 04, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »

Well I guess we can now start debate on the Animal Protection Act and probably after 48 hours I will bring it up to a vote.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2119 on: June 04, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »

I'll start the debate then.

Don't we already have an animal protection act on the books? And if so, what is new in this bill?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2120 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »

My big concern, which has already been discussed, are the apparently draconian punishments the bill proscribes.  I'd need to see them significantly reduced before I would consider voting for this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2121 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »

Hello, my friends! I am dearly sorry for my absence; it wasn't intended.

I've found a way to be able to get on here now, thank heavens, though it is running extremely slow. For the time being, I should be able to assume my responsibility as Governor. If something comes up again, however, I will be sure to make Speaker Happy Warrior know via Facebook. Smiley

Thank you all for your patience. Hopefully this all can be resolved soon! Smiley

Isaac
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2122 on: June 05, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »

My two cents on the animal protection bill...
It's something we certainly must get passed. We lose funding if we don't. I strongly support the bill itself. Obviously, since I co-authored it with Badger in the Senate. Wink I strong encourage the Assembly to pass this piece of legislation.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2123 on: June 05, 2010, 06:51:58 PM »

Also, I hope that we're not recognizing killing insects or pests as animal cruelty?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2124 on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »

Bump.

Maybe we can clear up this problem in time to put the constitutional change on the ballot the same day as the abortion ban referendum (in just under two weeks)?

I'd like to bring to the Assembly's attention a rather glaring loophole in need of closing in the Regional Constitution's provision for holding referendums on newly passed laws (see paragraph 6):

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Mideast_Third_Constitution#Section_2:_Legislation

Note the first sentence allows a petition for referendum only if: "Should the Assembly pass and the Governor sign legislation..." (emphasis added). It makes no allowance for when a bill on the governor's desk is automatically enacted into law if the governor simply declines to sign or veto legislation for seven days, pursuant to Paragraph 4 of this section.

This loophole means a governor can avoid a referendum on any legislation simply by waiting a week instead of formally signing the bill. For example, Tmth could've thwarted a referendum simply by not signing the abortion bill today. There's still an option under Article III, Section 4, to petition for an Initiative vote that could repeal legislation, but that requires a far higher burden of signatures from 25% of all registered Mideast voters. More importantly, its clear the Referendum provision was designed to make it reasonably simple to put controversial legislation up for popular vote, and this loophole is contrary such aims.

If not corrected eventually some governor will abuse this loophole to avoid a regional vote on controversial legislation. I urge the Assembly to introduce and pass a constitutional amendment allowing the right to petition for referendum on all legislation enacted into law. Thank you.

That said, here's another point I don't have a firm opinion on, but believe still bears mentioning. This provision was drafted when the Mideast was much smaller in population. Do will still want to require merely 4 persons' objections to hold a referendum, or do we maybe want to slightly increase that number?
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies