Sarah Palin's daughter IS pregnant, actually
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:49:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sarah Palin's daughter IS pregnant, actually
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Sarah Palin's daughter IS pregnant, actually  (Read 15055 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2008, 12:51:34 PM »

I am going to state a view I don't personally hold, so before responding, consider that. The simple fact is, a lot of people with conservative social values believe that women who have full-time careers and families do a disservice to the latter because they can't be in both places at once. They're right, there are trade-offs.

Even without Michael Moore, Keith Olbermann, or any other Democratic attack figure bringing it up, I find it hard to believe that there aren't going to be some conservative voters who will connect Palin's active political career with her daughter's transgression. They may empathize with her, they may agree with her politics, but they may see an issue in a mother of five pursuing a full-time career when her daughter appears to have need of more supervision and strictness.

fair statement.  

her not being a stay-at-home-mom won't cost her any votes, but it could very well have led to this child being unsupervised.  That's why my wife as chosen to stay at home for the last 13 years.

Let's face it, we all know unsupervised girls are much more likely to have the opportunity to become pregnant.  Kind of hard for a girl to get pregnant if parents don't allow her to spend unsupervised time one-on-one with a boyfriend.

Politically, the story destroys (at least for the short term) the illusion of invincibility, which Palin had in spades.  But, as has just been witnessed, illusions of invincibility are a double-edged sword.

Have no doubt about, at least today, this is a HUGE, HUGE blow to the GOP ticket.  The only good thing for the GOP is that Sarah Palin has an opportunity Wednesday night (with story probably causing more people to tune in) to steady the ship.

---

Maybe it's just my current depression speaking, but I think Sarah Palin just went from being the deciding factor in this election and to non-factor.  The Dems probably just dodged the political bullet of this generation, because if Palin could have survived this election cycle with the illusion of invincibility intact and been sworn in as VP, she would have had a very good chance of dominating American politics for the next 16 years.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2008, 01:00:14 PM by J. J. »

I still want to know if anyone feels that this ought to be relevant in the campaign.

the 'open minded' liberals will think this a huge issue.

they will be riding their moral high horse.

those disgusting people are more self righteous than any religious person ive ever met.

And remember these make up most Obama supporters and you'll be lumping yourself with them unless you vote for McCain.

the disgusting way the obama campaign and supporters have treated palin and her child is pushing me to vote mccain.

why does obama hate women so much?  hell women raised him...after his daddy fled to impregnate more women on different continents.

I think this is the point.

Complete Spin:

Look at dear sweet Sarah Palin.  She a mother that loves her daughter and supports her daughter.  She takes care of her disabled child.  Her values are good and pure.  

Look at those nasty, evil Democrats attacking her.  They hate women.  Look what they did, stealing the election from that nice Hillary Clinton.  The don't want women to come up in the world.  They hate motherhood, women, and nice people.

We don't need mean people like Obama and Biden running the country.  We need nice people like that kind Sarah Palin and someone grandfatherly, like that heroic John McCain.

Now, I'll turn off the spin.

I would not be surprised to find out in six months that a Republican operative set up the Daily Kos story, just to get the issue out and frame it.  Yes, I am that cynical and Machiavellian.  
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Marrying the father of the child and NOT murdering the unborn vs. "I don't want them punished with a baby!."

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

If she stands by her daughter as a mother should then she will shoot up in my estimation.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »

That would destroy McCain's campaign if she drops out. It shows either McCain didn't know, or knew, and than when the inevitable happened, he panicked.

That's the best insight I've seen so far.  Take a lesson from Eagleton.
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »

Trust me, they are stupid enough to do so.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2008, 01:15:11 PM by brittain33 »

The Anchorage Daily News reports that as of two days ago, Sarah Palin's press spokesman, Bill McAllister, didn't know Bristol was pregnant.

I'm inclined to believe more than ever McCain didn't know, that the Palin family was trying to keep this a secret (not an unrealistic proposition), and that deeper vetting would have brought it out because the Palins aren't pathological liars or idiots.

Link with the relevant bits to be found at the bottom.

http://www.adn.com/1536/story/512560.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »

Anybody think they need to present the prospective son-in-law to the media soon (provided he exists and is presentable)?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

The Anchorage Daily News reports that as of two days ago, Sarah Palin's press spokesman, Bill McAllister, didn't know Bristol was pregnant.

I'm inclined to believe more than ever McCain didn't know, that the Palin family was trying to keep this a secret (not an unrealistic proposition), and that deeper vetting would have brought it out because the Palins aren't pathological liars or idiots.

Well, then the McCain team can't vet, which still means they're idiots.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2008, 01:13:19 PM »

That would destroy McCain's campaign if she drops out. It shows either McCain didn't know, or knew, and than when the inevitable happened, he panicked.

That's the best insight I've seen so far.  Take a lesson from Eagleton.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

Trust me, they are stupid enough to do so.

It will start looking like Jsojourner's map then.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »

Bristol Palin = Juno

Teen pregnancy forever!!! yeeeeaaarrrgggghhh
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

huh?  the press spokesman would NOT know because the news was not yet public.  There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to inform a press spokesman of such deeply personal information until you're ready to go public.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »

huh?  the press spokesman would NOT know because the news was not yet public.  There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to inform a press spokesman of such deeply personal information until you're ready to go public.

I think this information ceased to be "deeply personal" the minute that Palin was offered the nomination and press awareness of her went up 100-fold. Fairly or not.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »

New flash! Gov. Palin's daughter is just like 90% of other American women!
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2008, 01:19:38 PM »

I think this information ceased to be "deeply personal" the minute that Palin was offered the nomination and press awareness of her went up 100-fold. Fairly or not.

You're right.  But you can stop salivating.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »

Politics aside, I wish the Palin family the best during this (hopefully) joyous occasion. This does not bother me at all, though I don't know why it should. Hopefully it remains a non issue for most people, and is not (effectively) used by either side to gain leverage.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »

You're right.  But you can stop salivating.

Any salivating I am doing is over the evidence of McCain's recklessness and poor decision-making, not what is happening to that girl.

I am not going to dig up your comments and others from the Edwards threads, where there were also real live people involved in news that had a political dimension as well. I truly feel bad for Bristol. For Sarah Palin? As a mother, yes, as a candidate, I don't hate her but don't wish her well. For McCain, yes, there's schadenfreude that he's done damage to the "experience and wisdom" claim on two very different fronts.

We're here to discuss how issues play out. Some of these issues are going to play disproportionately well or poorly for our candidates. There are tensions between how we discuss those things, and how we hang together as a community that cherishes our differences and still talks across the divide. I think we'll survive.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »

IF Palin handles this well, and IF there is nothing more to this story (which is a BIG if since the father hasn't been vetted by the press yet)...then is will probably blow over.

It's good that Palin informed McCain before being chosen.  Hopefully McCain's team asked about the expectant father's background.

See, that's the danger in these types of stories, now the expectant father provides another avenue of investigation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »

Politics aside, I wish the Palin family the best during this (hopefully) joyous occasion. This does not bother me at all, though I don't know why it should. Hopefully it remains a non issue for most people, and is not (effectively) used by either side to gain leverage.

I hope it is, too.  My sister had her son at age 19.  She grew up fast, and my nephew is my favorite person in the world.  He's been a blessing in my life.

I think people need to think more in terms of "wow.. nobody's perfect, let's look at the bright side..."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »

Teenager having sex -> Teenager having sex without precautions -> Teenager is a slut -> Teenager has bad judgment all-around -> Teenager's mom didn't raise her right -> Sarah Palin would be a terrible Vice President

Ay, logical leap here.

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »

Has Macallister been on McCain's campaign team or is he someone who has worked for Palin or what. Who is he?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »

Teenager having sex -> Teenager having sex without precautions -> Teenager is a slut -> Teenager has bad judgment all-around -> Teenager's mom didn't raise her right -> Sarah Palin would be a terrible Vice President

Ay, logical leap here.

The hypocrisy on abstinence education is relevant.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »

Ay, logical leap here.

Because her daughter didn't listen to what she believes? Uh...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »

Ay, logical leap here.

Because her daughter didn't listen to what she believes? Uh...

Maybe if she'd believed differently her daughter's life would have turned out differently? Oh well....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies