"The fundamentals of the economy are sound"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 04:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  "The fundamentals of the economy are sound"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Agree or disagree?
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: "The fundamentals of the economy are sound"  (Read 2259 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:51:22 PM »

Vote
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:43 PM »

Clearly we have some massive problems in energy, healthcare, housing, financials, general inequality...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

The govt has their dick in way to many economic pies.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »

What do you mean by fundamentals? Are you talking about the international macroeconomic system that has developed after the end of the Bretton Woods system? If that is the case the so-called "Washington consensus" and vaguely monetarist fiscal policies are pretty well cemented now and these economic fundamentals, the basic way in which the international market operates, is sound and has been since the stagflation crisis of the late 70s.

I really don't know what else fundamentals could mean. By saying no to this, incredibly vague, statement one could be stating that there are problems in certain areas, inflation being a major issue in my mind, but the overall system is sound or "the collapse of capitalism is imminent". What are the "fundamentals of the economy" it's overall shape and function? Individual functions such as unemployment, inflation or consumer confidence? A gut reaction to the statement, more of a "we're in a recession of course nothing is sound" type of response.

Then again considering this is jfern I'm guessing this is some random quote taken from some right-wing personality that he put up to a poll to show how out of touch certain political elements are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

Then again considering this is jfern I'm guessing this is some random quote taken from some right-wing personality that he put up to a poll to show how out of touch certain political elements are.

McCain said this for at least the second time yesterday.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:30:52 AM »

It's meaningless fluff. Without any elaboration, there's really nothing to agree or disagree with.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »

It's a Hoover quote, right? It basically means "we're headed down sh!t creek without a paddle, as everything except the very fundamentals is demonstrably unsound". As such, disagree I suppose.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:08:27 AM »

If by fundamentals you mean we still have enough good infrastructure and education to prevent us from collapsing into 3rd world malaise, then I guess that's true.

But other than that, and certainly relatively speaking, we're on the wrong end of a stinky outhouse.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »

Disagree.  Working class income is way too low to properly support demand.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »

If by fundamentals you mean we still have enough good infrastructure and education to prevent us from collapsing into 3rd world malaise, then I guess that's true.

But other than that, and certainly relatively speaking, we're on the wrong end of a stinky outhouse.

Can you even be sure of that anymore? The global slowdown that is coming is really going to fu ck us up. I mean, high inflation at home and little demand abroad? Sounds like a cluster fu ck to me. Then again, the entire problem might resolve itself in the great Circle of Choice.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »

Of course not. There's so many reasons but four stand out in particular as very worrisome:

1. Way too much consumer and government debt.

2. Inflation is coming back and basic services like healthcare or gas are already ridiculously pricey compared to even 5 years ago.

3. Further economic growth is heavily tied still to the energy market, which almost every expert agrees is going to see at minimum static to dwindling supply and increasing demand.

4. Demographic crunch. The developed world as a whole is aging. Naturally this means entitlements will become harder to sustain without tax increases, cuts, high immigration levels, or all of the above. None of which will sit well with most voters...
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »

Of course not. There's so many reasons but four stand out in particular as very worrisome:

2. Inflation is coming back and basic services like healthcare or gas are already ridiculously pricey compared to even 5 years ago.

3. Further economic growth is heavily tied still to the energy market, which almost every expert agrees is going to see at minimum static to dwindling supply and increasing demand.

4. Demographic crunch. The developed world as a whole is aging. Naturally this means entitlements will become harder to sustain without tax increases, cuts, high immigration levels, or all of the above. None of which will sit well with most voters...

And all of that will be ameliorated if we just cut taxes on the fabulously rich and on corporations.

::: chirping :::

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 04:50:59 PM »

So you're the one who's been eating my bean plants.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »

And all of that will be ameliorated if we just cut taxes on the fabulously rich and on corporations.

::: chirping :::
Correct.

We're just a nation of whiners, as long as we start thinking happy thoughts everything will be better. Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »

And who needs to be rich when you can just watch shows about rich people on cable from your trailer house living room/dining room/4th kid's bedroom?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 11:10:34 PM »

Well of course, everyone knows the economy is so much better under Republicans.

http://www.eriposte.com/economy/other/demovsrep.htm
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies