Obama plays the race card again.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:38:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama plays the race card again.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Obama plays the race card again.  (Read 6890 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

That's good, I do not think Obama should blame Mccain for the race-baiting that will go on.

A lot of it might NOT have gone on, but for Obama.
elcorazon

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

That's good, I do not think Obama should blame Mccain for the race-baiting that will go on.

exactly. how dare he bring race into the election... by being black...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2008, 04:50:33 PM »

Haha what is this supposed to mean? Race baiting will go on because Obama is black and it will be done in a hidden way but it will occur. I sincerely feel Mccain will not do it considering he was the target of such disgusting tactics back in 2000 but again I will not be surprised considering he is slowly adopting Rovian tactics.
zombones

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »

reminder that john mccain and the republicans are going to play on ignorance and racism

john mccain is a scumbag who wouldnt be where he was if not for being a sh**tty pilot.

zombones

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »

sorry, a well-connected, sh**tty pilot

Here is an ad hoping to gain votes from racist hispanic voters:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKxWrPQFXc
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »

Here is an ad hoping to gain votes from racist hispanic voters:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKxWrPQFXc

Uh...what about that is racist?
zombones

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »

it's there to play on the "black-brown" divide
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2008, 05:13:11 PM »

it's there to play on the "black-brown" divide

How could McCain criticize Obama's appeal to Hispanics in a way you wouldn't consider racist, then?

That's like saying that McCain's ads about economic issues are appealing to racist whites...well, yeah, but that's not his fault.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »

Hilariously s**tty ad but it is not racist.
zombones

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »

no it's definite, but "subtle," pandering to hispanics who are racist.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »

no it's definite, but "subtle," pandering to hispanics who are racist.

Again...how could he have advertised in a way that's negative, but not racist?
zombones

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:03 PM »

pretty much no way, since obama's black. 

if obama was white, it would merely be a sleazy injection of race in the campaign, rather than playing on the "black-brown divide."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »

if obama was white, it would merely be a sleazy injection of race in the campaign, rather than playing on the "black-brown divide."

So, you think that someone shouldn't go negative if it risks coincidentally inflaming underlying irrational prejudices?

That's a tall freaking order, that would pretty much make negative campaigning impossible.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

So, you think that someone shouldn't go negative if it risks coincidentally inflaming underlying irrational prejudices?

That's a tall freaking order, that would pretty much make negative campaigning impossible.

Isn't that the whole point of the Obama campaign.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »

Isn't that the whole point of the Obama campaign.
It worked with the Clintons. Republicans, however, are more adept at racial politics. I doubt they'll fall Obama's pathetic games.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »

It's only racist because he must think all Hispanics are stupid. I, personally, felt intellectually insulted by that ad.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »

It's only racist because he must think all Hispanics are stupid. I, personally, felt intellectually insulted by that ad.

Well if you think he is being racist/ignorant against hispanics then that is your opinion. But I really doubt he is trying to flame up black-latino tensions.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2008, 06:32:38 PM »

It's difficult to envision the thought process the McCain people went through in order to create that ad. Perhaps they acutely recalled John Kerry failing to mention Poland when he listed the nations of "The Coalition of the Willing" back in 2004 and decided to search for a similar omission on Obama's part as evidence that he is ignorant to the concerns of Latin Americans (but apparently cares deeply about Northern Ireland).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »

By inferring McCain said anything about it.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »

Which he did!

OMG!!! Shocking!!

I mean, come on people. Did you guys actually think sh**t like this was never going to happen? It was inevitable.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »

Which he did!

OMG!!! Shocking!!

I mean, come on people. Did you guys actually think sh**t like this was never going to happen? It was inevitable.

I had hopes, early on, that the campaign would transcend this.  That Obama did it is extremely disturbing from someone who claimed to be "inclusive."
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »

Which he did!

OMG!!! Shocking!!

I had hopes, early on, that the campaign would transcend this.  That Obama did it is extremely disturbing from someone who claimed to be "inclusive."

You really think McCain is totally innocent in this whole affair? You really think that, don't you? Wow.

I don't care about Obama's message of Change and Inclusiveness, really. I said it before, I support him, frankly, because I agree with him on my key positions more than McCain. It's that simple...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »

Which he did!

OMG!!! Shocking!!

You really think McCain is totally innocent in this whole affair? You really think that, don't you? Wow.

I don't care about Obama's message of Change and Inclusiveness, really. I said it before, I support him, frankly, because I agree with him on my key positions more than McCain. It's that simple...

I think Obama has been using the same tactic since SC and has finally been called on it.  This isn't the Obama of IA or NH.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »

Which he did!

OMG!!! Shocking!!

I think Obama has been using the same tactic since SC and has finally been called on it.  This isn't the Obama of IA or NH.

Do you really think injecting race into the campaign will help him? All he is doing is preparing people for the inevitable racist sh**t parade that is going to come after him. Sure he shouldn't imply that Mccain will do it unless he actually does it. But some of these ads that say "can you trust Obama" are borderline racist. Or at least they play to the racist sentiments of people.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

Well if you think he is being racist/ignorant against hispanics then that is your opinion. But I really doubt he is trying to flame up black-latino tensions.

older, poorer, less-educated hispanics seem to have problems voting for a black man. In the primary here, hillary did nearly as well among spanish-speaking Latinos as Obama did among blacks. Obama did noticably better among English-speaking Latinos. For all the talk about the need for a black-brown alliance, it doesn't exist outside of academia.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies