Are you a pro or an anti voter this election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 09:07:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Are you a pro or an anti voter this election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Are you a pro or an anti voter this election?  (Read 3554 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 02:12:59 PM »

Anti-

All I know is that I'm not pro-anything.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »

More the above than anything else. He's just too left wing economically for me. I am more comfortable now with his foreign policy given all the trimmings.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »

pro-Obama
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

Not primarily either, yet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »

Pro-McCain, but I'm not hugely excited about him.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

Pro-Obama and it worries me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »

What does?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

More the above than anything else. He's just too left wing economically for me. I am more comfortable now with his foreign policy given all the trimmings.

"On domestic matters, Mr Obama has assembled a team of sharp academic economists who premise their work on his supposed ability to sell sophisticated policy. Most prominent up until now has been Austan Goolsbee (pictured first left above), a University of Chicago professor whom many expect to head a President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers. Mr Goolsbee's record suggests neither the hostility towards globalised capitalism nor the desire for large-scale redistribution that conservatives, spooked by tales of Mr Obama's left-wing voting record, might fear: Mr Goolsbee is a problem-solver who favours such unsexy proposals as altering American tax forms. He got into trouble earlier this year for telling the Canadians not to worry too much about the anti-NAFTA rhetoric the candidate was emitting on the campaign trail.

From Harvard Mr Obama plucked Jeffrey Liebman, who has produced good research on the earned-income tax credit and its role in moving people from welfare to work, and David Cutler, a health economist who wants doctors' pay tied to medical outcomes. As of this week, though, Mr Obama's newly appointed economics director is Jason Furman (second left, above), an economist in the Clinton administration and a top aide to John Kerry in 2004. His presence rebuts criticism that Mr Obama's team has too little policymaking experience. Mr Furman, too, hews to the non-ideological centre, heading Washington's Hamilton Project, an economic policy group co-founded by Bob Rubin, once Bill Clinton's treasury secretary. Mr Furman is a staunch free-trader who once praised Wal-Mart and has favoured lowering corporate taxes. With a PhD from Harvard, he also does not lack for academic credentials."

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11551686
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »

I'm a pro-Obama voter
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »

"On domestic matters, Mr Obama has assembled a team of sharp academic economists who premise their work on his supposed ability to sell sophisticated policy. Most prominent up until now has been Austan Goolsbee (pictured first left above), a University of Chicago professor whom many expect to head a President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers. Mr Goolsbee's record suggests neither the hostility towards globalised capitalism nor the desire for large-scale redistribution that conservatives, spooked by tales of Mr Obama's left-wing voting record, might fear: Mr Goolsbee is a problem-solver who favours such unsexy proposals as altering American tax forms. He got into trouble earlier this year for telling the Canadians not to worry too much about the anti-NAFTA rhetoric the candidate was emitting on the campaign trail.

From Harvard Mr Obama plucked Jeffrey Liebman, who has produced good research on the earned-income tax credit and its role in moving people from welfare to work, and David Cutler, a health economist who wants doctors' pay tied to medical outcomes. As of this week, though, Mr Obama's newly appointed economics director is Jason Furman (second left, above), an economist in the Clinton administration and a top aide to John Kerry in 2004. His presence rebuts criticism that Mr Obama's team has too little policymaking experience. Mr Furman, too, hews to the non-ideological centre, heading Washington's Hamilton Project, an economic policy group co-founded by Bob Rubin, once Bill Clinton's treasury secretary. Mr Furman is a staunch free-trader who once praised Wal-Mart and has favoured lowering corporate taxes. With a PhD from Harvard, he also does not lack for academic credentials."

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11551686

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/07/two-former-bush.html

Two former Bush Advisers Now Advising Obama, Will Appear at Economic Meeting Today
July 28, 2008 10:22 AM

ABC News has learned that two former administration officials for President George W. Bush will appear with Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, at an economic meeting today, having signed up to be Obama economic advisers.

Bush administration veterans former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and former Securities and Exchange Commissioner William Donaldson will join former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, and more traditionally Democratic economic advisers such as former Clinton Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, billionaire liberal Warren Buffett, AFL-CIO President John Sweeney, and SEIU Secretary-Treasurer Anna Burger.

Donaldson's tenure at the SEC was notable for his attempts to work with the Democratic Commissioners, for angering the US Chamber of Commerce and Republican legislators, and for abandoning an effort for shareholder proxy access.

O'Neill, the former CEO of Alcoa, had a stormy tenure as Bush's Treasury Secretary, and revealed his frustrations with the Bush administration -- especially over the war in Iraq, economic policy, and the President's leadership style -- in a book written by Ron Suskind, The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill.

- jpt
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »

Very Anti-McCain but not sold on Obama either.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »

Well with this phalanx of moderate economists hovering around Obama,  I will keep a sharp lookout for Obama scaling way back his spending plans, and getting rid of the lifting of the cap on wages subject to the FICA tax.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »

Well with this phalanx of moderate economists hovering around Obama,  I will keep a sharp lookout for Obama scaling way back his spending plans, and getting rid of the lifting of the cap on wages subject to the FICA tax.

My professor last year (Romer) at UC Berkeley is in his inner circle of economic policy advisers and she is a devout, pro-globalization, anti-tariff capitalist.  I think his anti-free trade crap during the primaries was pretty much crap.   I mean, it doesn't speak well of him that he became more protectionist to win Ohioan votes, but whatever.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »

My professor last year (Romer) at UC Berkeley is in his inner circle of economic policy advisers and she is a devout, pro-globalization, anti-tariff capitalist.  I think his anti-free trade crap during the primaries was pretty much crap.   I mean, it doesn't speak well of him that he became more protectionist to win Ohioan votes, but whatever.

Of course the protectionism chat was crap. If the US tried it, it would be bitched slapped so fast, that we would have to file a spousal abuse lawsuit or something. The days of economic autarky are just so over, even for the US. Dorothy can't go home to Kansas anymore.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »

Pro-Obama.. though he is becoming less and less appealing as time goes on.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:51 PM »

Definitely Pro McCain but I have a lot of interested in seeing Obama/his supporters lose.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »

Anti-McCain.  His message is hopeless, worthless, and unintelligent.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25:11 PM »

Definitely Pro McCain but I have a lot of interested in seeing Obama/his supporters lose.

Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »

Sad

Tongue

I also get along with/like many of his supporters. It's just the really annoying ones that I can't stand.  Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »

Eh... still pro-Obama but I'm getting closer to being anti-McCain. I've lost at least some of my respect for both of them during this election.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »

Anti-McCain.  His message is hopeless, worthless, and unintelligent.

Well said.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:27 PM »

Pro-Obama.. though he is becoming less and less appealing as time goes on.

What do you find about him as less appealing over time lately? His move toward the center?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's some truth to that, but the US can handle a good dose of protectionism and get away with it. For one thing, the US is not alone in having protectionist policies; we can hide behind the EU and Japan on agricultural subsidies and tariffs, for example. And we, like other countries, can violate WTO rules on a temporary basis while the organization takes years to make a ruling, after which we comply, but may take some other measure that will take years more to appeal. Or we can restrict investment on the basis of national security. And so on and so on.

The more people feel that they are missing out on the benefits of the new economy, and the more insecure they feel in their positions, the more fuel there is to blame forces like globalization. Tariff-cutting measures and the steady expansion of world trade beginning with the Torquay round after WWII, through the 1960s, did not generate a huge backlash in the U.S. But NAFTA was highly controversial during the 1992 recession.

It is during times of insecurity that the backlash is greatest. In the past six years, the median income has stagnated, and the incomes of the bottom 99% of the population has grown at an annual rate of 1%, while the top 1% has seen its income grow at an 11% annual rate, meaning a tiny minority has captured the lion's share of benefits from US GDP growth. At the same time, job growth is failing to keep up with the growing labor force. No wonder there are protectionist and other nativist pressures.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 10:44:36 PM »

Sad

Tongue

I also get along with/like many of his supporters. It's just the really annoying ones that I can't stand.  Smiley

Nice save.

Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

I'm both, Pro-McCain and anti-Obama.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »

Both, since I like Obama and think he'll make a good President and the thought of McCain as president terrifies and depresses me. Mostly though, I'm pro-Democratic Party.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies