Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:00:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...  (Read 14293 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »

Monogolia county 48-47 Clinton
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »

Why would people throw away their vote on a candidate who is NOT RUNNING!!?!?!?!?!!
Because they dislike the other two? If you still support Obama though this is a good thing....

Its funny.  I support Barack Obama AND John McCain.  I can't make up my mind between the two.  At this point, I'm more inclined to vote for Obama, though that can easily change.
Why the heck would you consider John McCain, when he supports the Iraq War, will do nothing for the Working class, and isn't a strong Social Conservative? The only good thing about him is that he is for doing something about Global Warming.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »

Olberman is being pretty obnoxious with this whole "we are awaiting to hear from Hillary Clinton give the most AMAZING speech known to mankind and earth and stuff...."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »

Monogolia county 48-47 Clinton

Only about a tenth in. Depending on where that tenth is...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »

Why would people throw away their vote on a candidate who is NOT RUNNING!!?!?!?!?!!
Because they dislike the other two? If you still support Obama though this is a good thing....

Its funny.  I support Barack Obama AND John McCain.  I can't make up my mind between the two.  At this point, I'm more inclined to vote for Obama, though that can easily change.
Why the heck would you consider John McCain, when he supports the Iraq War, will do nothing for the Working class, and isn't a strong Social Conservative? The only good thing about him is that he is for doing something about Global Warming.

Because he would appoint moderate to conservative judges (probably moderate due to a heavily Democratic Senate), but more importantly would provide a check on a growing Democratic Congress.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »

Where can I get results that actually show the Edwards votes coming in?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »

Because he would appoint moderate to conservative judges (probably moderate due to a heavily Democratic Senate), but more importantly would provide a check on a growing Democratic Congress.
Wouldn't no checks on a Democratic Congress be better for reform for the Working Class, and Leftism?
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2008, 07:58:15 PM by Daniel Adams »

Here for state-level results. This page shows results by county, but is less user-friendly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

Wouldn't no checks on a Democratic Congress be better for reform for the Working Class, and Leftism?
You've got to realize, I'm not a leftist.  I am a conservative Democrat.  I like Obama because he would bring change and would turn this economy around, but I also think McCain could do that, as well.  The main thing I agree with Obama on is getting out of Iraq.  I agree with McCain on a lot of other things.

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out who I like.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »

Formally the DNC didn't give them a pass until December, but informally, both states had consulted with Dean before making their moves and it was widely understood that they'd be given the pass. Florida was the first to make a move on May 3, and, in order to forestall a chaotic rush, the Rules Committee decided to set an example with Florida.

When Michigan followed in August, they had no choice but to do the same. New Hampshire's constitution requires that its primary be at least one week before any other primary. Therefore they legally had no choice but to move 1 week prior to Michigan to Jan. 8. After consultations with the DNC both NH and IA were allowed to move.

I used to think Dean behaved unfairly, but now I'm not so sure. Which state moved first-- New Hampshire or Michigan?

You have something of a point in the case of Iowa.  But with NH, they said from day 1 that they were going to violate the DNC calendar, as they would never agree to voting after Nevada.  True, they didn't formally select their date until after Michigan did, but they said many times before that that they were going to vote earlier than Jan. 22nd, no matter what the DNC said.  In fact, Michigan used this to justify their own actions.  They said "Well, NH says they're going to break the rules, so why shouldn't we?"

Go reread this thread, in which you agreed with me on this point:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=72920.30

Yeah, but that was before I knew about the waivers. Reading Jake's post again, I'm not sure how New Hampshire had committed to violating the rules before the Michigan move. All I could find is quotes indicating that they would caveat themselves from abiding by the rules if other states moved their primaries to within 1 week of theirs. In short, they had agreed only conditionally:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So I guess I'm still unclear on the Michigan excuse. It seems they were saying "We'll go ahead and break the rules because New Hampshire has caveated themselves from following them in the case that following them becomes contradictory to their preestablished state law... which only happens if we move to Jan. 15" Seems like a narrow reed to hang your move on, but perhaps there's more that I'm unaware of.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »

Here for state-level results. This page shows results by county, but is less user-friendly.

Thanks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »

Randolph County @ 74% now looks normal.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »

What's with Cabell?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »

You've got to realize, I'm not a leftist.  I am a conservative Democrat.  I like Obama because he would bring change and would turn this economy around, but I also think McCain could do that, as well.  The main thing I agree with Obama on is getting out of Iraq.  I agree with McCain on a lot of other things.

Really? I understand you are a conservative Democrat, but you seem pretty leftist on Economics issues and what counts? Would McCain really turn around the Economy anyways, when he proposes the same old Republican rhetoric?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »

Really? I understand you are a conservative Democrat, but you seem pretty leftist on Economics issues and what counts? Would McCain really turn around the Economy anyways, when he proposes the same old Republican rhetoric?
Okay... Fair argument.  You're right, I am pretty left on the economy.  I guess I'm torn between by liberal economics (Obama) and conservative social issues (McCain).  I generally tilt toward my economics, thus is why I am leaning toward Obama right now.  Its because of my conservative social stances why I would be happy with a McCain administration.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »

Not got the results in front of me (about to go to be), but Cabell is basically Huntington and surrounds. By WV standards it's a fairly white collar city and has a large student population. No idea if that's any help.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »

Not got the results in front of me (about to go to be), but Cabell is basically Huntington and surrounds. By WV standards it's a fairly white collar city and has a large student population. No idea if that's any help.

Quite a bit. Thanks.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »

My preference would be for a President Obama together an increasingly influential Blue Dog presence in the House. Senators will vote with their consciences on judicial appointees

Congressional Democrats may well serve to be a stronger check on Obama than those servile Republicans ever were on Bush

Dave
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »

So I guess I'm still unclear on the Michigan excuse. It seems they were saying "We'll go ahead and break the rules because New Hampshire has caveated themselves from following them in the case that following them becomes contradictory to their preestablished state law... which only happens if we move to Jan. 15" Seems like a narrow reed to hang your move on, but perhaps there's more that I'm unaware of.

No, NH moving up their primary and breaking the rules wasn't dependent on Michigan moving to Jan. 15th.  They repeatedly said they were going to do that anyway, because they wouldn't accept voting after Nevada, as the DNC rules required:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250502,00.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That was way back in February 2007.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

My preference would be for a President Obama together an increasingly influential Blue Dog presence in the House. Senators will vote with their consciences on judicial appointees

Congressional Democrats may well serve to be a stronger check on Obama than those servile Republicans ever were on Bush

Dave

Good points.  I always like your analysis of things, Dave.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »

Dave

I was going to say the same thing, but I figured that someone else would say it. The Democratic Party is more of a regional party anyways, and most of the new Democrats elected will be either Blue Dogs, or DLCer's to hold Obama in check.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »

Dave

I was going to say the same thing, but I figured that someone else would say it. The Democratic Party is more of a regional party anyways, and most of the new Democrats elected will be either Blue Dogs, or DLCer's to hold Obama in check.

Now, I hadn't thought of that aspect of it.  But, you're right, looking at the vulnerable seats ready to flip to the Democrats that they do look more Blue-Doggish and DLC'ish.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:34 PM »

Cabell is now at 60-35 Hillary with 28%.

Logan is about where I expected it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »

So far, Clinton has claimed 15 delegates compared to Obama's 3 delegates in West Virginia tonight.  The count now stands at 1,877 for Obama (148 shy of nom) and 1,712 for Clinton (165 shy of Obama).  There are 10 pledged delegates left up for grabs in West Virginia and the current count with 23% in stands at 63-30 for Hillary Clinton.  That's basically a 2-1 margin, so I'm thinking that Hillary will get 18-20 delegates total and Obama will pick up 8-10 total, giving Hillary a 10-12 net delegate pick-up.

Kentucky and Oregon...  Here we come...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »

So absolutely no chance whatsoever of Obama winning a single county then?

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies