Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:00:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...  (Read 14342 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »

Delegate Count as of 10:30 pm EDT (9:30 pm CDT).

Obama:  1599 pledged delegates.  282 superdelegates.  1,881 total delegates.  -144 from 2,025.

Clinton:  1,440 pledged delegates.  273 superdelegates.  1,713 total delegate.  -312 from 2,025 and -168 behind Obama.

West Virginia pledged delegates:  16 for Clinton, 7 for Obama with 5 outstanding for a total of 28 pledged delegates.

Serious question.  MI currently lists 80 delegates for Clinton and 55 "undecided."  What is the minimum number Obama can get of those "undecided" delegates?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »

if i were a democrat, id be worried.  this shows obama has a very serious problem with the white working class.

forget wv.  how the hell is he going to win pa or oh or even va if he cant do better among the blue collars?

i dont say this as a hack.  if i had to vote today. id probably vote obama over mccain.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »

I overestimated Obama's "presumptive nominee" bounce as well. But most of all underestimated Edwards.

Well, that was who the anti-wimmin vote should have supported after the "supposed nominee" thingy. (b/c they tend to be anti-black too). 

Hillary may yet fall back down to 66%, which would make my prediction of her number correct.

I know that WV-02 and WV-01 will be 4-2 Hillary.  Is WV-03 possibly 5-1?

So, it'll either be 20-8 Hillary (if 5-1) or 19-9 Hillary. (if 4-2)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »

Well, that was who the anti-wimmin vote should have supported after the "supposed nominee" thingy. (b/c they tend to be anti-black too). 

Hillary may yet fall back down to 66%, which would make my prediction of her number correct.

I know that WV-02 and WV-01 will be 4-2 Hillary.  Is WV-03 possibly 5-1?

So, it'll either be 20-8 Hillary (if 5-1) or 19-9 Hillary. (if 4-2)

Clinton's at 77.5% there, so yeah, she gets her fifth delegate.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2008, 11:06:50 PM »

The guy has had nothing but glowing coverage from the media as the nominee since last Tuesday - and he still loses by 41 points?  yikes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »

if i were a democrat, id be worried.  this shows obama has a very serious problem with the white working class.

forget wv.  how the hell is he going to win pa or oh or even va if he cant do better among the blue collars?

i dont say this as a hack.  if i had to vote today. id probably vote obama over mccain.
I think it's pretty ridiculous that whites are only "working class" if they live in Appalachia. Yes, Clinton is winning white Appalachians. But Obama is winning white "working class" voters as well, in the Plains states, in the Mountain West, and states like Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »

I was one delegate off, looks like it'll be 20-8. Oh well. Hardly changes the situation much. Note no movement on InTrade.

Hey, Obama needed 150 delegates to clinch the nomination before tonight, now he needs 142. A little bit closer.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2008, 11:10:52 PM »

Again just because they prefer Clinton over Obama, doesn't mean that when push comes to shove they aren't going to vote for Obama over McCain.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »

I think it's pretty ridiculous that whites are only "working class" if they live in Appalachia. Yes, Clinton is winning white Appalachians. But Obama is winning white "working class" voters as well, in the Plains states, in the Mountain West, and states like Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.

1.  most of those plain states had a caucus, which is completely un-democratic.  working people cant always show up at 7pm.  give them a 13 hour window. 

2.  you guys won idaho and utah...and will probably do the same in montana and south dakota.   good luck winning those states in november!  yes we can!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »

Obama will win PA and OH (especially if he picks Strickland as VP).

Neither Obama nor Clinton would win in West Virginia.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »

1.  most of those plain states had a caucus, which is completely un-democratic.  working people cant always show up at 7pm.  give them a 13 hour window.

And do you think any of them would've flipped in a primary? Unlikely.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »

Donna Brazille on CNN, perpetuating the myth that every state except FL & MI complied with the DNC calendar rules....no mention of IA & NH's rulebreaking.

IA & NH both applied for waivers to the DNC and received them.

Yes, but only *after* they'd already moved their contests.  They moved to Jan. 3rd and Jan. 8th respectively, which was earlier than the DNC allowed (the original DNC calendar said they could go on Jan. 14th and Jan. 22nd respectively), and said "We don't care what the DNC says, we're going to vote on Jan. 3 and 8 no matter what."  The DNC gave them a pass in December 2007, after their dates were already locked in.

Formally the DNC didn't give them a pass until December, but informally, both states had consulted with Dean before making their moves and it was widely understood that they'd be given the pass. Florida was the first to make a move on May 3, and, in order to forestall a chaotic rush, the Rules Committee decided to set an example with Florida.

When Michigan followed in August, they had no choice but to do the same. New Hampshire's constitution requires that its primary be at least one week before any other primary. Therefore they legally had no choice but to move 1 week prior to Michigan to Jan. 8. After consultations with the DNC both NH and IA were allowed to move.

I used to think Dean behaved unfairly, but now I'm not so sure. Which state moved first-- New Hampshire or Michigan?
You wouldn't happen to know which section of the NH constitution?

All I could find was a state law (which was updated in June 2007 to permit the SOS to set a non-Tuesday date for the election).

The actual law says that the primary will be held coincident with Spring town meetings in March - which may well be a constitutional provision, except it can be moved earlier to cut in front of any other State.

I was wrong about this apparently... yes, it is state law.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:12 PM »

And he hasn't wone of those since March.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

And do you think any of them would've flipped in a primary? Unlikely.

it wpuld have been closer...no doubt...OMGZ MORE DELEGATES!!11

take it from me...im an ordinary fellow...im glad mass didnt have a goddamned caucus, because i may not have been able to attend.  i do have a life...child etc.

furthermore, id prefer to cast my vote in private.  why the hell should i be forced to announce my vote to the entire precinct?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »

Because none have voted since then. He will in June though.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:43 PM »

Oh, please.  You've had that in OH, PA, IN and WV. 

The question will be, how many "working class" voters will there be in the rest.

As I've said, the demographics are horrid.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »

The question will be, how many "working class" voters will there be in the rest.

I'm talking about South Dakota and Montana. Which are plains states, unlike the ones you listed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »

I'm talking about South Dakota and Montana. Which are plains states, unlike the ones you listed.

I'm talking about the white "working class" which was the subject of the post.

I don't think this is over (largely because Clinton is tenacious, and has the morals of a Styrofoam cup). 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »

I dont buy the Clinton winning primaries in caucus states argument that much. Yes they would have been closer, but for the exception of perhaps Maine all the other caucus states would have gone for Obama. States like Minnesota and Colorado would have racked up huge margins for him in the popular vote total. He could not get that with the caucus state thus making his arguments on the popular vote weaker. Thus he would have gained there although he may have lost out on delegates. He basically played the campaign the way it should have have been and Hillary had no clue.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »

Montana and South Dakota will be interesting, actually.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2008, 11:38:58 PM »

I'm talking about the white "working class" which was the subject of the post.

I don't think this is over (largely because Clinton is tenacious, and has the morals of a Styrofoam cup). 

And what are Montana and South Dakota? Latte liberal land?

Isn't every state "interesting" except for the ones where all you need is racial demographics and you can already draw the entire county map?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »

Yes they will be provided they campaign there. I am guessing they will but OR could change that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:59 PM »

Yes they will be provided they campaign there. I am guessing they will but OR could change that.

Hillary Clinton leaving after Oregon?  You're not being serious, are you?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »

Isn't every state "interesting" except for the ones where all you need is racial demographics and you can already draw the entire county map?

Those states are interesting too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »

Those states are interesting too.

So then what states aren't interesting?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies