What happened to this forum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:56:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What happened to this forum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: What happened to this forum?  (Read 11938 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 06:14:09 PM »

Their has been a bit too much trolling on the site, but for the most part you just have to know who not to pay attention to.  In regards to the right vs left split on the board.  Well it shouldn't come of that much of a surprise.  A few years ago we really were a 50/50 nation, Bush approvals were near the 50 mark, we had a very close election in 04.  Now we aren't.  Bush's #'s are horrible, when the dems have a huge advantage in favorabilty.  Polls show Obama and even Clinton trouncing all Republicans with the exception of McCain, who doesn't have much support from the conservative base.  You also have to keep in mind that the forum has a bit of a young bend to it.  I'm 25 and I'm probably older than 75% of the posters on here.  You also have an election coming up which heavily favors the Democrats across the board.  As a result the Dems are much more excited about the upcoming election than the Republicans are which also contributes into how much and what people actually post.  The younger generation tends to be a bit more liberal.  so you have a multitude of factors in why the forum tends to lean left as much as it does.

^^^

Perfect example of the problem. Even in this topic, he can't help but show the hackery.

What exactly in what I posted is an example of hackery??  Was anything that I mentioned in my post something you disagreed with? 

Fact of the matter is the election this year favors the Democrats.  I hope you can at least to that and believe you have posted something to that effect.  Also Democrats are much more excited about the upcoming election than Republicans are.  These are all factors that play into, who posts on boards like these and how much they post.

Sure it favors the Dems overall but not their specific candidates. I believe the general atmosphere is why more Dems are here but you just harped on every Democratic talking point instead of just saying, "Yeah, it's a good year for Dems."
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »

Yes, Congress has abysmal approval ratings. However, the Democrats Top 3 Presidential candidates have much higher favorability rankings than the Republicans (sans McCain, who last I checked was still behind). As does the party in multiple polls.

What he said was wrong. Those Democrats in government don't have a large gap in favorability, nor is the gap large when you compare their front runner with the GOP's front runner.

First off, Congress generally has a history of lower ratings, this is due to those who don't like the President feeling they aren't doing enough to stop the President, and those who like the President feel they are doing too much in stopping the President, but this is what i was referring to.

Gallup
". . . please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of . . . the Democratic Party."
Favorable 55%,  unfavorable 36%

". . . please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of . . . the Republican Party."

favorable 42% unfavorable 49%

dems +19,  GOP -7

CNN
  "Next, we'd like to get your overall opinion of some people in the news. As I read each name, please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of these people -- or if you have never heard of them.  The Democratic Party."
Favorable 55%  Unfavorable 34%

"Next, we'd like to get your overall opinion of some people in the news. As I read each name, please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of these people -- or if you have never heard of them.  The Republican Party."
favorable  41%  Unfavorable 48%

dems +21, GOP -7

Those gaps don't appear to be small do they.....

Regarding the possible candidates on each side.   Despite what you may claim their really is no GOP front runner after each state the front runner changes.  McCain is the only candidate who is competitive against Obama or Clinton, some polls ahve him up slightly others have him down slightly.  Every poll has both Obama and Clinton trouncing Huckabee, Romney and Giuliani.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

Yes, Congress has abysmal approval ratings. However, the Democrats Top 3 Presidential candidates have much higher favorability rankings than the Republicans (sans McCain, who last I checked was still behind). As does the party in multiple polls.

What he said was wrong. Those Democrats in government don't have a large gap in favorability, nor is the gap large when you compare their front runner with the GOP's front runner.

First off, Congress generally has a history of lower ratings, this is due to those who don't like the President feeling they aren't doing enough to stop the President, and those who like the President feel they are doing too much in stopping the President, but this is what i was referring to.

Gallup
". . . please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of . . . the Democratic Party."

". . . please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of . . . the Republican Party."

dems +19,  GOP -7

CNN
  "Next, we'd like to get your overall opinion of some people in the news. As I read each name, please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of these people -- or if you have never heard of them.  The Democratic Party."

"Next, we'd like to get your overall opinion of some people in the news. As I read each name, please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of these people -- or if you have never heard of them.  The Republican Party."

dems +21, GOP -7

Regarding the possible candidates on each side.   Despite what you may claim their really is no GOP front runner after each state the front runner changes.  McCain is the only candidate who is competitive against Obama or Clinton, some polls ahve him up slightly others have him down slightly.  Every poll has both Obama and Clinton trouncing Huckabee, Romney and Giuliani.

Your first half of the post is meaningless as I said that Dems overall are viewed more positively now.

Regardless of whether or not we have a frontrunner (even though we will after tonight), we are still running close to the Dems in General election polls. The Dems only really "trounce" a Republican candidate if that candidate is Romney and even then, you guys won't get a landslide.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »

Gallup

dems +19,  GOP -7

CNN

dems +21, GOP -7

Your first half of the post is meaningless as I said that Dems overall are viewed more positively now.

Regardless of whether or not we have a frontrunner (even though we will after tonight), we are still running close to the Dems in General election polls. The Dems only really "trounce" a Republican candidate if that candidate is Romney and even then, you guys won't get a landslide.

And this is why the forum is fine. We're still having reasoned, intelligent debates.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »

Gallup

dems +19,  GOP -7

CNN

dems +21, GOP -7

The recent huckabee and Giuliani polls aren't exactly close
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »

The forum used to be more balanced but now is leaning heavily left. Right leaning persons are leaving and fewer right leaning persons are willing to join, which only further moves the forum left.

Now I feel bad. Maybe I should pretend to become a super-capitalist to restore some balance. Tongue

Maybe on April Fools Day we can have everyone have pretend to have the opposite ideology.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »

The forum used to be more balanced but now is leaning heavily left. Right leaning persons are leaving and fewer right leaning persons are willing to join, which only further moves the forum left.

Now I feel bad. Maybe I should pretend to become a super-capitalist to restore some balance. Tongue

Maybe on April Fools Day we can have everyone have pretend to have the opposite ideology.

Actually, that's starting to change recently, and I suspect it will continue now that the election is in full swing.  Moreover, since the young people's candidate, Obama, is getting sent back down to the plantation by Hillary, these people may become less and less enthused.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2008, 10:55:28 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 10:57:03 AM by Michael Z »

I have been a occasional reader of the postings of this forum for the last 4 years or so. 

Being that I have time-consuming priorities (husband, father of 4 children under 7, homeschooling dad "gasp", elder in my church (double gasp), and small business owner) I am not able to post as often a I would like to, but typically check the forum once a week or so, enough to get a feel for the content of the site.

What I have noticed, especially today, is the gradual degradation of this site. 

Once upon a time this (as a general rule) site boasted the most intelligent, reasoned, and most of all respectful dialogue on the web.  Posters such as Markdel  and  others offered deep insight and perspective.

I have to be honest and say that, while I respect and like MarkDel on a personal level, his tendency to stereotype other forum members based on their age, nationality and/or political views always used to drive me up the wall. But his viewpoints did provice balance, that is true.

In any case, all forums (fora?) have their up-and-down periods, and this place is no exception. Still, I actually find the level of discussion here far more even-tempered than it was, say, 2-3 years ago. It's a good thing Leip invoked the no-personal-insults policy because it more or less put a stop to some of the mindless flame wars we used to have. Either way, I can't think of another political discussion forum that's as placid (comparatively speaking) as this one.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »

I'm game. Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »

Right. Guiliani is dead in the water, Huckabee just lost the one state he should've won before Super Tuesday and won't be competitive outside the South on February 5th, and Romney has won one state where the candidates competed (MI) and lost the other three. Check some state polls for February 5th and compare McCain and Romney. If you're not seeing McCain as the clear front runner, see an eye doctor.

And the GOP front runner from NH to now has been McCain (through results in MI, NV, and SC - two McCain losses).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:15 AM »

Right. Guiliani is dead in the water, Huckabee just lost the one state he should've won before Super Tuesday and won't be competitive outside the South on February 5th, and Romney has won one state where the candidates competed (MI) and lost the other three. Check some state polls for February 5th and compare McCain and Romney. If you're not seeing McCain as the clear front runner, see an eye doctor.

And the GOP front runner from NH to now has been McCain (through results in MI, NV, and SC - two McCain losses).

Romney has 3 golds, 2 silvers, and a bronze.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2008, 04:19:53 AM »

He didn't medal in South Carolina
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »

Even Romney himself made fun of Wyoming...the only real state Romney has won is Michigan and there is a lot that indicates that it was home state advantage which helped him there.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »

Actually, that's starting to change recently, and I suspect it will continue now that the election is in full swing.  Moreover, since the young people's candidate, Obama, is getting sent back down to the plantation by Hillary, these people may become less and less enthused.

F8ck you. How's that for debate?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »

Regarding the possible candidates on each side.  Despite what you may claim their really is no GOP front runner after each state the front runner changes.  McCain is the only candidate who is competitive against Obama or Clinton, some polls ahve him up slightly others have him down slightly.  Every poll has both Obama and Clinton trouncing Huckabee, Romney and Giuliani.

Even Romney himself made fun of Wyoming...the only real state Romney has won is Michigan and there is a lot that indicates that it was home state advantage which helped him there.

So, Nevada, Alaska, Colorado, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota and Utah aren't "real" states?

Gustaf, you have really gone left wing!

Oh, and are Iowa, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia, Kansas and Louisiana also not "real" states in the Gustaf gazetteer?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »

So, Nevada, Alaska, Colorado, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota and Utah aren't "real" states?

Oh, and are Iowa, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia, Kansas and Louisiana also not "real" states in the Gustaf gazetteer?

The bolded sentence makes no sense in this context.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »

Regarding the possible candidates on each side.  Despite what you may claim their really is no GOP front runner after each state the front runner changes.  McCain is the only candidate who is competitive against Obama or Clinton, some polls ahve him up slightly others have him down slightly.  Every poll has both Obama and Clinton trouncing Huckabee, Romney and Giuliani.

Notice the date on which he posted.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »

(sigh) This place has just gone to crap since dazzleman left.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2008, 09:49:17 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Welcome back.

Yeah, I miss Dazzleman as well.

The 'progressives' have really run wild the past couple of years here.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »

Welcome back.

So, Carl, are we to expect an apology to Gustaf any time soon for your previous post in this thread?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »

Welcome back.

So, Carl, are we to expect an apology to Gustaf any time soon for your previous post in this thread?

Because Gustaf doesn't believe a state is real unless it votes for McCain?

Not hardly!

Gustav has gone far left wing.

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »

Not hardly!

Gustaf posted the original message on January 22, 2008.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2008, 04:08:10 PM by Enrico Pallazzo »

Welcome back.

Not hardly!

Your misinterpretation of Gustaf's post has been pointed out twice now.  So, are you going to apologize to him?

(I'll admit that the actual 'insult' you used is a bizarre choice, but its intent was clear.)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »

Let me repeat, there is no basis for an apology.

Gustaf is trying to tell Americans which states are "real," based it seems on whether they supported the stooge of the New York Times.

Perhaps you too wish to read states out of the union?

No apologies are do, and none will be offered!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2008, 04:32:17 PM by Enrico Pallazzo »

Let me repeat, there is no basis for an apology.

Gustaf is trying to tell Americans which states are "real," based it seems on whether they supported the stooge of the New York Times.

Perhaps you too wish to read states out of the union?

No apologies are do, and none will be offered!

Third time lucky:

GUSTAF POSTED THAT COMMENT ON JANUARY 22, 2008, WHEN ONLY SIX STATES HAD VOTED IN THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES.  MITT ROMNEY HAD ONLY WON TWO OF THEM, AND GUSTAF WAS ARGUING THAT ONLY ONE OF THOSE COULD BE CONSIDERED A "REAL" VICTORY.

I strongly suggest you actually re-read the thread from that post onwards, and then apologize to him for repeatedly attacking his integrity after a mis-apprehension of your own.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies