What happened to this forum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:38:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What happened to this forum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: What happened to this forum?  (Read 11987 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 04:58:23 PM »

Everything ebbs and flows with the passage of time.  Much like this board. 

Sure, I have negative things to say about the way things are from time to time, but that passes, and well, you can spot the hacks a mile away and toy with them at your will.

The one advantage to this board over many, many others is that in general the hacks don't run the forum and certainly don't moderate the forum for the most part (as much as they want to).

Are you kidding? Trolls run the forum because no one stands up to them and they're allowed to bully people unchecked.

Or people turn them into 'mascots' and feed them by publishing polls about them all the time. That's the one thing on here that bugs me more than anything.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »

One other thing:  "Traditionalism" or whatever you defined there will come back into style soon enough, bullmoose.  Probably sooner than you want it to, especially if the economy doesn't fare so well.  Everything that is old becomes new again, eventually.  That is the lesson of life... Tongue

Probably true, unfortunately.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 05:51:58 PM »

Sure, I have negative things to say about the way things are from time to time, but that passes, and well, you can spot the hacks a mile away and toy with them at your will.

The one advantage to this board over many, many others is that in general the hacks don't run the forum and certainly don't moderate the forum for the most part (as much as they want to).

Are you kidding? Trolls run the forum because no one stands up to them and they're allowed to bully people unchecked.

... and whenever we try to actually do anything about it, people (such as yourself) scream "FASCIST CENSORSHIP".  You can't have it both ways, Bono.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

Or people turn them into 'mascots' and feed them by publishing polls about them all the time. That's the one thing on here that bugs me more than anything.
AYE!  The attention some of you people pay the well known trolls around here bugs the hell out of me.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »

interesting this forum is different
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »

AYE!  The attention some of you people pay the well known trolls around here bugs the hell out of me.

I agree, and I do admit to paying a bit too much attention sometimes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »

interesting this forum is different

You sticking around? If so, welcome back.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »

Well, it doesn't happen in my forum.  I'm sorry that I can't have some influence in some of the less moderated areas of the forum, but I can't (nor do I wish to) control that.  Call me an optimist about the moderators, but it's because I work with them.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »

Having actually bothered to go through the archives of this site, I'm inclined to agree. But I think the problem is less a decline in posting, than simply a decline in any intelligent conservative contribution. This forum was already a bit of an echo chamber when I showed up, but it's becoming more and more apparent now after Obama's victory in Iowa.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »

Their has been a bit too much trolling on the site, but for the most part you just have to know who not to pay attention to.  In regards to the right vs left split on the board.  Well it shouldn't come of that much of a surprise.  A few years ago we really were a 50/50 nation, Bush approvals were near the 50 mark, we had a very close election in 04.  Now we aren't.  Bush's #'s are horrible, when the dems have a huge advantage in favorabilty.  Polls show Obama and even Clinton trouncing all Republicans with the exception of McCain, who doesn't have much support from the conservative base.  You also have to keep in mind that the forum has a bit of a young bend to it.  I'm 25 and I'm probably older than 75% of the posters on here.  You also have an election coming up which heavily favors the Democrats across the board.  As a result the Dems are much more excited about the upcoming election than the Republicans are which also contributes into how much and what people actually post.  The younger generation tends to be a bit more liberal.  so you have a multitude of factors in why the forum tends to lean left as much as it does.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »

Since I don't have time for a thousand words, here's a picture:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »

Their has been a bit too much trolling on the site, but for the most part you just have to know who not to pay attention to.  In regards to the right vs left split on the board.  Well it shouldn't come of that much of a surprise.  A few years ago we really were a 50/50 nation, Bush approvals were near the 50 mark, we had a very close election in 04.  Now we aren't.  Bush's #'s are horrible, when the dems have a huge advantage in favorabilty.  Polls show Obama and even Clinton trouncing all Republicans with the exception of McCain, who doesn't have much support from the conservative base.  You also have to keep in mind that the forum has a bit of a young bend to it.  I'm 25 and I'm probably older than 75% of the posters on here.  You also have an election coming up which heavily favors the Democrats across the board.  As a result the Dems are much more excited about the upcoming election than the Republicans are which also contributes into how much and what people actually post.  The younger generation tends to be a bit more liberal.  so you have a multitude of factors in why the forum tends to lean left as much as it does.

^^^

Perfect example of the problem. Even in this topic, he can't help but show the hackery.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »

I don't see the hackery. He's right, a huge part of the left-wing bias problem is site demographics and the Republican Party candidates being generally less popular with the public. That could change, especially as regular posters age. Regardless, we need more Republicans and Conservatives (of all kinds) to make things interesting. Because frankly, I'm bored to death here lately.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »

Words like "huge" when the Congressional Democrats have Bush-like approval ratings, "heavily" when national polls show our most likely to be nominated candidate actually leading and the Democrats have really only a slight advantage in the Senate and probably will lose seats in the House.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »

Words like "huge" when the Congressional Democrats have Bush-like approval ratings, "heavily" when national polls show our most likely to be nominated candidate actually leading and the Democrats have really only a slight advantage in the Senate and probably will lose seats in the House.
Yes, Congress has abysmal approval ratings. However, the Democrats Top 3 Presidential candidates have much higher favorability rankings than the Republicans (sans McCain, who last I checked was still behind). As does the party in multiple polls.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 11:59:23 PM »

Yes, Congress has abysmal approval ratings. However, the Democrats Top 3 Presidential candidates have much higher favorability rankings than the Republicans (sans McCain, who last I checked was still behind). As does the party in multiple polls.

Do you really think Hillary has a higher favorability rating than Rudy Giuliani? Get real.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2008, 12:11:12 AM by NDN »

Do you really think Hillary has a higher favorability rating than Rudy Giuliani? Get real.
Actually going by Rasmussen, which tends to have a bit of a Republican bias, she does. 48% to Giuliani's 40%, as of their 2007 December Survey. Those results correspond with multiple nationally conducted polls. And Hillary is obviously far from the 'inevitable' front runner that so many thought of her as just a month ago. The only GOP candidate who actually has equal-or-better numbers than any of the top 3 Dems is McCain.

Please understand that I'm not being partisan here. I thought that the Democratic Party was going to lose in 2004 just based on how utterly uncharismatic and contradictory Kerry was. I don't see the Democrats suffering from that problem this time around, unless the race does wind up being Hillary vs McCain (as so many ironically predicted a year ago).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »

What he said was wrong. Those Democrats in government don't have a large gap in favorability, nor is the gap large when you compare their front runner with the GOP's front runner.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:38 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2008, 12:21:01 AM by NDN »

What he said was wrong. Those Democrats in government don't have a large gap in favorability, nor is the gap large when you compare their front runner with the GOP's front runner.
I suspect part of this might be a matter of semantics. To me, 8% or higher between top tier candidates is large (or at least pretty significant). Maybe not to you. Also I wouldn't say either party has a real front runner at this point.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 02:04:03 AM »

Since I don't have time for a thousand words, here's a picture:

(picture)

That sounds about right.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

I agree with Bejkuy. THe forum was smaller before and had fewer trolls. But the influx of Democrats thanks to the abysmal performance of the Bush administration is also part of it.

But welcome back. I remember you from the old days. And, me and other old-timers are constantly accused of complaining too much, like grand-fathers do, so I'll note that I actually think things have gotten better recently. Some of the worse trolls were banned and more Republicans have joined which has meant a move towards an actual debate climate here again.

But responsibility fall on all of us. I try to do my part by only bashing dumb leftists as opposed to going after everyone like I used to. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »

Now I feel bad. Maybe I should pretend to become a super-capitalist to restore some balance. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »

Markdel was not insightful, enlightened, or intelligent. He was a dumb troll.
He was not a troll. A shameless hack, yes.  Otherwise, I agree.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Strike the smilie. Angry

Welcome back, man. Nice to see some of the old faces still dropping by.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »

Markdel was not insightful, enlightened, or intelligent. He was a dumb troll.
He was not a troll. A shameless hack, yes.  Otherwise, I agree.

I'd say that is the best way to describe him.  He was an unapologetic extremist who was fond of insulting anyone and everyone who disagreed with him.

I think the problem with the forum is just a mirror of the problem of political discourse in this country.  In Alan Greenspan's book he talks about how in the 70s, 80s, and even to some degree into the 90s politicians would vehomently battle over issues during the day but they would pleasantly socialize in the evening.  Now the co-mingling of parties is rare.  Even within the parties there is division.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2008, 06:03:40 PM »

^^^

Perfect example of the problem. Even in this topic, he can't help but show the hackery.

What exactly in what I posted is an example of hackery??  Was anything that I mentioned in my post something you disagreed with? 

Fact of the matter is the election this year favors the Democrats.  I hope you can at least to that and believe you have posted something to that effect.  Also Democrats are much more excited about the upcoming election than Republicans are.  These are all factors that play into, who posts on boards like these and how much they post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies