Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:54:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.  (Read 8634 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »

The 2001 Census has 76.5% of the US population identify as Christian, but just because someone says "Christian" on a census form, it doesn't mean they're actually Christian.

It is illegal for the US Census Bureau to ask religious affiliation, and that aside this is definitely not the US Census that you are referring to.  It says "2001".  The Census is taken every ten years in 2000, then 2010, then 2020, and so on.  So, this has to be ARDA or some other, probably right wing, group.

While I agree that the Congress could have spent their time doing more productive work, I do applaud the fact that they are recognizing Christianity in the way that they are.  Let's face it, though, the 109th "do-nothing" Congress actually did MORE than this 110th "do-even-less" Congress.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »

Considering Chrisitans are the most persecuted group in the country

If by "persecuted" you mean "are in the vast majority in the Western world and are in control of every single facet of the United States and basically every other Western country", then yes, they're certainly very persecuted.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »

It is illegal for the US Census Bureau to ask religious affiliation, and that aside this is definitely not the US Census that you are referring to.  It says "2001".  The Census is taken every ten years in 2000, then 2010, then 2020, and so on.  So, this has to be ARDA or some other, probably right wing, group.

Err, "right-wing group"?  Why?  City University of New York, by the way, not a right-wing group.

While I agree that the Congress could have spent their time doing more productive work, I do applaud the fact that they are recognizing Christianity in the way that they are.  Let's face it, though, the 109th "do-nothing" Congress actually did MORE than this 110th "do-even-less" Congress.

I still do not understand why you find this so exciting.  You actually think that the importance of Christianity is understated by the U.S. House of Representatives, a group that way over-represets the religious?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2007, 02:12:14 PM »

Considering Chrisitans are the most persecuted group in the country

If by "persecuted" you mean "are in the vast majority in the Western world and are in control of every single facet of the United States and basically every other Western country", then yes, they're certainly very persecuted.
You must look at the common Christian man.  The double standard is so immense against him because like you say "OMG they have such much power nothing could be wrong."  Everything gets blamed on them.  Perhaps it extends farther to simply the white male.  It is hard to dispute that the range of things a minority can do without reprecussions is much higher than that of a white man.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »

You must look at the common Christian man.  The double standard is so immense against him because like you say "OMG they have such much power nothing could be wrong."  Everything gets blamed on them.  Perhaps it extends farther to simply the white male.  It is hard to dispute that the range of things a minority can do without reprecussions is much higher than that of a white man.

Yeah, that's unfair.

But, at the end of the day, you're still a wealthy, white Christian male, and you still control virtually everything.

You complain that minorities and the poor should suck it up and stop complaining, and then you expect everyone to be empathetic toward this?  Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »

Yeah, that's unfair.

But, at the end of the day, you're still a wealthy, white Christian male, and you still control virtually everything.

You complain that minorities and the poor should suck it up and stop complaining, and then you expect everyone to be empathetic toward this?  Tongue
I'm saying everyone should suck it up, but if there is going to be double standards I'm going to point them out
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 02:23:20 PM »

I'm saying everyone should suck it up, but if there is going to be double standards I'm going to point them out

The only problem is that you're rich and priveleged; prejudice rolls off you more easily.  The same is not true for those who are struggling economically.

I'm economically conservative-leaning too, but I'm not pig-headed about it.  People might be prejudiced against me, but it's not going to affect my future in the same way it would someone less fortunate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 02:27:05 PM »

The only problem is that you're rich and priveleged; prejudice rolls off you more easily.  The same is not true for those who are struggling economically.

I'm economically conservative-leaning too, but I'm not pig-headed about it.  People might be prejudiced against me, but it's not going to affect my future in the same way it would someone less fortunate.
I see quite a difference, however, in economic and business related prejudice then social prejudice.  For example, if an employer tells a black man he can't have a job because he's black, that's unacceptable.  However, example, Rush Limbaugh should not have lost his job on ESPN because of his McNabb comment.  Consider the fact that Mark May is constantly saying on ESPN that Charlie Weis is staying because he is white and Tyrone Willingham was and does not lose his job.  Or any of the comments Sharpton, Cynthia McKinney, and Jessie Jackson have said.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »

I see quite a difference, however, in economic and business related prejudice then social prejudice.  For example, if an employer tells a black man he can't have a job because he's black, that's unacceptable.  However, example, Rush Limbaugh should not have lost his job on ESPN because of his McNabb comment.  Consider the fact that Mark May is constantly saying on ESPN that Charlie Weis is staying because he is white and Tyrone Willingham was and does not lose his job.  Or any of the comments Sharpton, Cynthia McKinney, and Jessie Jackson have said.

That is just as morally indefensible as the "Christians under attack" is logically indefensible.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »

The ARDA "census" probably evens out despite the undercount, since churches rarely purge their membership lists and there are probably many cases of people belonging to multiple churches, especially if they move and join another one but aren't removed from the last one.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2007, 03:29:07 PM by Gabu »

Welcome to being in the vast majority.  That's what happens when you're in the vast majority, are in control of everything, and allow the other people a voice.  You wanna stop it, you can be like Saudi Arabia where any words against those in control are met with harsh and cruel punishment.  Otherwise, you gotta take the bad with the good - and believe me, there's a whole lotta good that you seem to be ignoring.

Try running for office and tell your would-be constituents that you aren't a Christian.  See how far you get in most areas of the country.  The fact that you basically have to believe in God to get elected in America is a much greater persecution (and it still isn't even close to meeting the definition of the word) than anything Christians get.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2007, 03:28:22 PM »

Welcome to being in the vast majority.  That's what happens when you're in the vast majority, are in control of everything, and allow the other people a voice.  You wanna stop it, you can be like Saudi Arabia where any words against those in control are met with harsh and cruel punishment.  Otherwise, you gotta take the bad with the good - and believe me, there's a whole lotta good that you seem to be ignoring.
This idea that Christians control everything could not be farther from the truth, if you were to say Judeo-Christian people controlled the vast majority I would agree with you.  Also, remember that while race is set in stone, people that claim to be Christians do not necessarily have to be.  And or could be from religions that claim to be Christians but could not be farther from imo
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »

This idea that Christians control everything could not be farther from the truth, if you were to say Judeo-Christian people controlled the vast majority I would agree with you.

Politically, no, it actually is the truth.  Christians are in the vast, vast majority in terms of elected positions.  See the bit I added to the post you replied to.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »

This idea that Christians control everything could not be farther from the truth, if you were to say Judeo-Christian people controlled the vast majority I would agree with you.

Politically, no, it actually is the truth.  Christians are in the vast, vast majority in terms of elected positions.  See the bit I added to the post you replied to.
Ah, but the difference between elected power and actual power is huge.  You don't think some people heading up large corporations do not have a large amount of influence?  And again, their is a difference between your power holder and your common man.  Why should I suffer (and believe me I fed up of this crap because I do suffer from these laws with my outspokenness) because my people are in power when I have nothing to do with it?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »

There are 6 non-religious members of the U.S. House of Representatives, 43 Jews, two Buddhists and a Muslim.

That leaves 383 Christians (88.0%).

Non-religious people are underrepresented hugely; they are 14% of the population and 1% of the House of Representatives.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »

OMG T3H J0000Z CONTR0L 3V3RY+|-|1|\|9!!11!!111!!!11
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2007, 03:48:20 PM »

Ah, but the difference between elected power and actual power is huge.  You don't think some people heading up large corporations do not have a large amount of influence?  And again, their is a difference between your power holder and your common man.  Why should I suffer (and believe me I fed up of this crap because I do suffer from these laws with my outspokenness) because my people are in power when I have nothing to do with it?

Enumerate your suffering, if you would.  Does it break your itty-bitty heart that people don't express their love and adoration of Christians and Christianity twenty-four hours a day?

Your inability to understand in even vaguely correct terms the real meaning of the word "persecution" underscores how ridiculously pampered your existence really is and how frivolous your complaints really are.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »

ROFL at everything DWDL has said in this thread. To say that white Christian males are as or more persecuted than blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Middle-Easterners, females, Jews, atheists, Agnostics, Sikhs and Muslims is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »

ROFL at everything DWDL has said in this thread. To say that white Christian males are as or more persecuted than blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Middle-Easterners, females, Jews, atheists, Agnostics, Sikhs and Muslims is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Depends on the country, Lief.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »

America. But even then, in which countries are white, Christian males persecuted? The amount of white, Christian males persecuted or discriminated against in the world is nowhere near the scale of discrimination and persecution against non-whites and non-Christians and females.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »

Depends on the country, Lief.
Doesn't, actually. The instrumental word being white.

Well, okay, maybe the Kosovo. Tongue
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

OK, I missed the word white. But Christians are persecuted.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2007, 04:09:45 PM by Verily »

Fortunately, we're not talking about Eritrea here. "There are some persecuted Christians somewhere in the world" is a completely spurious argument.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 04:20:49 PM »

Fortunately, we're not talking about Eritrea here. "There are some persecuted Christians somewhere in the world" is a completely spurious argument.

Congress were commenting about global persecution. It hasn't really happened to me, but I'm sure some of the Christians on this board were called "Bible-bashers" at school.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »

Look up persecution in the dictionary, then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies