Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 11:18:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.  (Read 8650 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2007, 09:14:59 PM »

Congress reminds us that it's worthless and they discuss sh**tty pieces of legislation like this.

Maybe I'll move to Australia someday.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »

Way back in the days of Shakespeare, anti-Semitism was rampant; Jews were shunned, were routinely portrayed in hideous caricatures, were forced to wear a red hat to identify themselves, were forced to live in a ghetto to keep them away from good Christian folk, were barred from owning land or entering the professions, and this list goes on and on. 

But not in the country that Shakespeare lived in. Because it was illegal to be Jewish in England at the time.

That too. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »

Way back in the days of Shakespeare, anti-Semitism was rampant; Jews were shunned, were routinely portrayed in hideous caricatures, were forced to wear a red hat to identify themselves, were forced to live in a ghetto to keep them away from good Christian folk, were barred from owning land or entering the professions, and this list goes on and on. 

But not in the country that Shakespeare lived in. Because it was illegal to be Jewish in England at the time.

I'm pretty sure it was illegal to be atheist too.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2007, 09:07:58 AM »

What's wrong with this? Apart from the time thing?

The fact that they felt the need to go "yay Christians!" in a country that is 75% Christian.  It's one of those things that really does not need to be said, and when it is said, it comes across more as retarded feel-good politics to improve people's impressions of Congress than as a truly heartfelt statement.

Again, you are missing the point that they did this with the other religions as well.  Did any of the religions actually merit a ceremonial resolution?  No, but they received them, as well as various organizations.  Why people are having a heartache over the resolution itself isn't so surprising, but why they aren't having a heartache over how the "Christian" resolution received the least amount of votes is.  Ideally, they should have all received unanimous positive votes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2007, 09:11:52 AM »

Ideally, they should have all received unanimous positive votes.

Ideally, none of them should have been brought up at all, since then Congress could actually get down to meaningful business... then again, it probably wouldn't do that even if they weren't doing this crap.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »

Ideally, they should have all received unanimous positive votes.

Ideally, none of them should have been brought up at all, since then Congress could actually get down to meaningful business... then again, it probably wouldn't do that even if they weren't doing this crap.

hahaha . . . well, I don't believe there is anything in the Constitution that bars the Congress from passing ceremonial resolutions.  But you are right, Congress does have better things to do.  Fortunately/Unfortunately enough, they are incapable of doing anything.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »

hahaha . . . well, I don't believe there is anything in the Constitution that bars the Congress from passing ceremonial resolutions.

There's nothing that bars me from taking my TV and smashing it on the ground, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:07 PM »

hahaha . . . well, I don't believe there is anything in the Constitution that bars the Congress from passing ceremonial resolutions.

There's nothing that bars me from taking my TV and smashing it on the ground, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

hahaha . . . which would fall under the second half of my comment.  Tongue
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2007, 03:02:48 PM »

Congress passed a resolution "Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith."

empty words.   doesn't this congress have anything better to do?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies