If you were governor of a state with the death penalty...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:00:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you were governor of a state with the death penalty...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which of the following would you do if they were within your power?
Refuse to sign any death warrants for any executions

Grant a stay to any inmate upcoming to be executed

Commute the sentences of all inmates on death row to life in prison

None

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If you were governor of a state with the death penalty...  (Read 6788 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »

Since the power of the governor varies from state to state. I'd do #3 if it it was within my power, but if not, I'd do #1 and 2 for my whole term. I'd make sure that no executions would take place under my term for sure.

But in the state I live in, it'd all be a moot point Smiley
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »

Option 3, obviously.

Although the governor who did that in my state kinda sucked, for lack of a more eloquent description.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »

I´m elected governor of the state of Washington and enforce Option 3, sparking a wide reaching death penalty debate and hence the overly Democratic controlled state congress finally abolishes the death penalty in WA, which was long overdue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:08:47 AM »

Option 4. I'd make Texas look like they were falling behind the times. I would rid this state of the garbage lethal injection and bring back the electric chair. Then I would commence clearing out death row.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:17:41 AM »

Option 4. I'd make Texas look like they were falling behind the times.

You can't do that without the courts' approval.

I would rid this state of the garbage lethal injection and bring back the electric chair.

Assuming even the legislature let you, that likely wouldn't hold up in court.

Then I would commence clearing out death row.

No authority for that. All inmates get their allowed appeals.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »

Well, I have a mixed opinion on this. I would commute the sentence of any man convicted of murder without DNA evidence. However, due to the cost of an execution, I would give any convicted murderer who did have DNA evidence a cheaper method of execution (e.g. public hanging)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »

Well, I have a mixed opinion on this. I would commute the sentence of any man convicted of murder without DNA evidence. However, due to the cost of an execution, I would give any convicted murderer who did have DNA evidence a cheaper method of execution (e.g. public hanging)

but isn't the execution not the expensive part?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:37:38 AM »

Option 4. I'd only commute sentences or pardon for those who are most likely not guilty, or for those whose punishments obviously do not fit the crime (but the latter is very rare; most death penalties in the US are for murderers).

I would re-institute hanging as a replacement for the current technology. Cheaper, and if done properly its actually more humane than an electric chair, probably lethal injection as well.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 07:16:09 AM »

Option 4. Options 1-3 are an abuse of the power of the office in my opinion. The power of an executive to commute or stay a punishment or pardon a crime are meant for those cases where a guilty sentence either proved to be in doubt or entirely wrong. If I was opposed to the death penalty, I'd try to get the state congress to ban it, not abuse my executive powers.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »

Option 4, unless there was some credible evidence the person was guilty.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:28:45 AM »

I don't know why the libertarians are coming in favor of the death penalty. Maybe a lot of libertarians are just paleo-cons.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »

I can't see myself putting people to death, at least those in which the evidence is not 100% certain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »

I don't know why the libertarians are coming in favor of the death penalty. Maybe a lot of libertarians are just paleo-cons.

Libertarians and paleo-cons are not at all alike however.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »

Options 1, 2, and 3, without doubt.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »

Our official platform doesn't mention the death penalty, but I presume the forum libertarians support it because of the "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" rule, much the same reason I support it. As I said before, I would temporarily commute the sentence to life until DNA evidence could be found, because one can never be too sure.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »

Have people executed for cutting me off on the thruway.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 01:02:02 PM »

Our official platform doesn't mention the death penalty, but I presume the forum libertarians support it because of the "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" rule, much the same reason I support it. As I said before, I would temporarily commute the sentence to life until DNA evidence could be found, because one can never be too sure.

Eve for an eye is not really that good of a principle for practical reason. Should a rapist be raped? .... and if you are pro-life, should an abortionist be aborted?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »

Option 5.  I'd rent a bus and take everyone out to Six Flags on vacation.  There, all the criminals would be able to eat cotton candy, ride on roller coasters, and finally realize the error of their ways.

Then, on the way home, we'd all stop off at McDonalds for dinner!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

Option 4. Options 1-3 are an abuse of the power of the office in my opinion. The power of an executive to commute or stay a punishment or pardon a crime are meant for those cases where a guilty sentence either proved to be in doubt or entirely wrong. If I was opposed to the death penalty, I'd try to get the state congress to ban it, not abuse my executive powers.

There can never be a case decided beyond reasonable doubt in a situation of the death penalty, so the conviction is always in doubt.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »

Eve for an eye is not really that good of a principle for practical reason. Should a rapist be raped? .... and if you are pro-life, should an abortionist be aborted?

Well, I believe the punishment should fit the crime. If you rob $3 worth of a product from a store, you should have to pay the store $6.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »

Well, I believe the punishment should fit the crime. If you rob $3 worth of a product from a store, you should have to pay the store $6.

So what do we do with kidnappers? Kidnap someone for three days, the sentence is only three days in prison?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 02:20:41 PM »

So what do we do with kidnappers? Kidnap someone for three days, the sentence is only three days in prison?

No. The sentence would have to be much longer, as I believe kidnapping is assault.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »

No. The sentence would have to be much longer, as I believe kidnapping is assault.

So punishments aren't really any less arbitrary than the current system.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »

All 3
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »

There can never be a case decided beyond reasonable doubt in a situation of the death penalty, so the conviction is always in doubt.

Sure there can - suppose a murder is caught on a security camera with the suspect's face clearly visible in the video, the murder weapon with the suspect's fingerprints on it is found and forensically determined to be the murder weapons, and the victim's blood was found on the suspect's clothing. Let's also say you have a number of credible witnesses to the crime, all implicating the suspect as the guilty party.

The death penalty should certainly require more evidence than a simple jail conviction, but to say you can never be certain beyond a reasonable doubt is just silly. Don't just arbitrarily say that without any supporting logic and expect me to agree.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies