NBC: Biden to discuss future of campaign with family tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 01:00:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NBC: Biden to discuss future of campaign with family tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: NBC: Biden to discuss future of campaign with family tomorrow  (Read 8585 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2024, 07:54:56 PM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 07:56:22 PM »

Even the headline is an L for the biden campaign.

Having to have family discussions about if to continue running....In late June of an election year?

jeez.
Amenhotep Keir Starmer
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 08:01:06 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2024, 08:07:27 PM by MR DARK BRANDON »

I’ve tried to steer myself clear of this discourse but I’ll offer my opinion here.

Thursdays debate has had a lot of us forget that Joe Biden has good political instincts. Ultimately though, whether or not he continues is up to him, Whatever decision this man comes to is one I am sure will be well thought out and well discussed, and one that I will support fully.

Biden has been someone who I admired for a very long time and someone who I still believe has a very decent chance to pull it off in November. But if he feels that the risk is too big, and he feels that to step aside is the right option, I will not bury my head in the sand or doubt the political instincts of those at the top, I will support that and throw my support behind whoever the democrats decide to nominate, so we can beat Trump and continue this man’s legacy.

Alben, Comrade Funk and others, be happy about this post cause this is the best you’ll get out of me Smiley

dw93
DWL
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 08:01:52 PM »

Is this a sign that he's dropping out?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 08:02:35 PM »

Nothing burger
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 08:03:34 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2024, 09:14:55 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

He brought this on himself. He and his campaign knew what they needed to do, and they didn't do it. I was really rooting for him to prove everyone wrong. Evidently, to use a metaphor, he had one strike left, swung, missed, the bat flew out of his hand, and the ball hit him in the crotch.

If Biden won't step aside for his own good, or the party's, maybe him recognizing the country's future that's in such a tenuous position will convince him. I do believe he is a good man who would recognize this sacrifice as a patriotic duty.

My only concern with him stepping aside, is what do Democrats do in the time between him officially announcing that he's standing down, and the convention when someone new is chosen? Does the national party just run anti-Trump ads? Does Biden not officially announce dropping out until the convention? Should he endorse somebody?

I'm personally not concerned about an open convention, the messiness of it, and/or the lack of familiarity with a new candidate. Against Trump in his current state, just about anyone else (maybe with two notable exceptions from California, MAYBE) should be able to easily dispatch him and save the country's future. Nikki Haley, of all people said it best, to paraphrase: "the party that gets rid of their current presumptive nominee first wins this election." Americans, and Democrats especially, may settle for anyone. And there are so many vibrant talented up-and-comers waiting in the wings, Governors especially.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 08:05:24 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2024, 08:08:29 PM by Comrade Funk »

I hope he makes the right decision Ruth Bader Ginsburg refused to make
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 08:07:34 PM »

God I hope so
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 08:08:35 PM »

I still don't think Jill will allow him to drop out, but hopefully he does, so he can go down in the history books as a James Polk type of modest 1-term president.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 08:08:38 PM »

I don't think this will amount to anything. A candidate who is already their party's presumptive nominee, let alone the incumbent president, has rarely, if ever done this. While Biden might be on the older side of things, I doubt he drops out. Besides, who would replace him if he did drop out?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2024, 08:08:54 PM »

I’ve tried to steer myself clear of this discourse but I’ll offer my opinion here.

Thursdays debate has had a lot of us forget that Joe Biden has good political instincts. Ultimately though, whether or not he continues is up to him, Whatever decision this man comes to is one I am sure will be well thought out and well discussed, and one that I will support fully.

Biden has been someone who I admired for a very long time and someone who I still believe has a very decent chance to pull it off in November. But if he feels that the risk is too big, and he feels that to step aside is the right option, I will not bury my head in the sand or doubt the political instincts of those at the top, I will support that and throw my support behind whoever the democrats decide to nominate, so we can beat Trump and continue this man’s legacy.

He might have HAD good political instincts. Not so clear he still HAS them.

I will say though that if he does the right thing, I’ll feel a bit bad for him. Gotta suck to make it to your dream but it’s just too late and now everyone hates you and wants you out of the picture. Still, he’s achieved more than 99.99% of humans could ever dream. The best thing for his legacy is to be proud of that and make way for the next generation as he once said he wanted to do.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024, 08:09:29 PM »

And where is Kamala in all of this?  Where is she?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 08:09:31 PM »

If this isn’t an early indicator he’s going to step aside then it’s just more bad press
Amenhotep Keir Starmer
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2024, 08:09:55 PM »

He brought this on himself. He and his campaign knew what they needed to do, and they didn't do it. I was really rooting for him to prive everyobe wrong. Evidently, he had one strike left, swung, missed, the bat flew out of his hand, and the ball hit him and maybe the country in the crotch.

If Biden won't step aside for his own good, or the party's, maybe him recognizing the country's future that's in such a tenuous position will convince him. I do believe he is a good man who would recognize this sacrifice as a patriotic duty.

My only concern with him stepping aside, is what do Democrats do in the time between him officially announcing that he's standing down, and the convention when someone new is chosen? Does the national party just run anti-Trump ads? Does Biden not officially announce dropping out until the convention? Should he endorse somebody?
I still think he has a very decent chance to win and my prediction hasn’t changed, but I trust Joe. If he thinks this is best, then he clearly has a lot of reason to believe so. And I’ll support it. Same thing vice versa.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2024, 08:10:10 PM »

The fact that it got to the press suggests this is probably in the cards, yes.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2024, 08:10:30 PM »

I still don't think Jill will allow him to drop out, but hopefully he does, so he can go down in the history books as a James Polk type of modest 1-term president.

I think and hope Jill is more defending her husband and sticking beside his side whatever he wants to do. I don’t buy the theories that she’s somehow the true mastermind committing “elder abuse” by forcing him to stay in against his will. Smacks of sexism.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2024, 08:10:56 PM »

Jill better make sure that he agrees go drop out after she publicly infantilized him after the debate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2024, 08:13:35 PM »

It looks like he might actually drop out. I just hope that they have a competitive debate on who's going to replace him and Kamala isn't just foisted on us by decree again. It's clear the Democrats have better talent out there, and they always have.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2024, 08:15:36 PM »

Why would Jill want him to stay in the race?
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2024, 08:15:50 PM »

Absolutely hilarious if Trump debating Biden forced the latter to drop out.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2024, 08:16:51 PM »

Absolutely hilarious if Trump debating Biden forced the latter to drop out.

Could be a miscalculation by Trump then to have accepted this early debate if democrats can nominate someone else without a repeat of 1968 happening .

Amenhotep Keir Starmer
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2024, 08:21:12 PM »

He might have HAD good political instincts. Not so clear he still HAS them.

I will say though that if he does the right thing, I’ll feel a bit bad for him. Gotta suck to make it to your dream but it’s just too late and now everyone hates you and wants you out of the picture. Still, he’s achieved more than 99.99% of humans could ever dream. The best thing for his legacy is to be proud of that and make way for the next generation as he once said he wanted to do.
Well this is the best you’ll get out of me  😜

But jokes aside, yes I believe Biden still has good instincts. He’s shown that as president, he’s shown that through various events like the SOTU which is why like I’ve said if he decides it’s best to withdraw, I’ll fully support that decision and happily support whoever replaces him (I do have my preferences though…)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2024, 08:21:18 PM »

r/neoliberal is discussing this article and they sound totally Blue MAGA in the comments. Saying no way Biden should withdraw because it would be “the ultimate expression of failure and weakness,” calling NBC “fake news” because of phony Chuck Todd and Kristen Welker… These people have gone insane. How can they not see the irony???
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2024, 08:27:58 PM »

He brought this on himself. He and his campaign knew what they needed to do, and they didn't do it. I was really rooting for him to prove everyone wrong. Evidently, to use a metaphor, he had one strike left, swung, missed, the bat flew out of his hand, and the ball hit him in the crotch.

I'm personally not concerned about an open convention, the messiness of it, and/or the lack of familiarity with a new candidate. Against Trump in his current state, just about anyone else (maybe with two notable exceptions from California, MAYBE) should be able to easily dispatch him and save the country's future. Nikki Haley, of all people said it best, to paraphrase: "the party that gets rid of their current presumptive nominee first wins this election." Americans, and Demicrats especially, may settle for anyone. And there are so many vibrant talented up-and-comers waiting in the wings, Governors especially.

Yeah polls have showed a tied race it's inflation that's causing his problems there is no  quick fix to beat TRUMP
dspNY
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2024, 08:29:02 PM »

Biden dropping out might actually happen. This type of article is greasing the skids, just like that Axios article
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies