Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:00:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level  (Read 2483 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2024, 01:09:48 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Here's a theology lesson: For Christians,the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament presents (among other things) guidelines on how YOU should live... not on how you should control how OTHERS live. Any ‘church” that teaches otherwise is one you should run from.

Did he say that women should be mandated to have children and be banned from working outside the home? And if not then how is him communicating Christian teachings at a religious institution all that different than Jesus doing the same? I get the sense that this person would have the exact same reaction to hearing Jesus speak, which makes this opinion entirely worthless to Christians.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2024, 01:11:41 PM »

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial.

Because that isn't the point he was making.

You mean that’s not the point that you read in?

From a Facebook friend:

Here's a theology lesson: For Christians,the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament presents (among other things) guidelines on how YOU should live... not on how you should control how OTHERS live. Any ‘church” that teaches otherwise is one you should run from.

If the New Testament gives guidelines on how you should live, those same guidelines can be applied to others. Your Facebook friend posted gibberish.

Yeah incel garbage about how women in the workforce is a "diabolical lie" should definitely be read charitably... and LOL at your response to Lyndon. You have no license to force your crap beliefs on other people.

I’m not forcing my beliefs on anyone, nor is Mr. Butker. This speech by a conservative Catholic at a conservative Catholic university should have never been widely publicized. It’s your media that’s forcing his beliefs on you!

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial. I’d think that the parts where he explicitly attacks political and church leaders would get more attention.

Why did he only reference women ? Why not take to ask fathers and males for their roles in parenting ? Cathoilc Teaching clearly emphasizes the role of both men and women, both the husband and the wife in creating a happy stable environment for their children. To get more theological, they are both pursuing holiness.

He addresses men after he addresses women. You can find the full text of his speech here: https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine?amp
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2024, 01:13:15 PM »

He says being a mom is more important than having a career or education, but being a father isn't? These guys never seem to value fatherhood much.

And I will say, this is a criticism that I can get behind; raising children is far more valuable than slaving away for a soulless corporation that doesn't care about you or respect you. Food needs to be put on the table, but at the end of the day people need to understand how much family actually matters.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2024, 01:15:12 PM »

I would think his homophobic attacks on Pride Month would be getting more attention. Maybe they are and "the algorithm" isn't showing it to me.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »

As an aside, why do all of these f**kboys look the same nowadays?

Ugly unkempt beard
Vacant lead paint stare
Proud Boys haircut

This cuck thinks he's an alpha male but he's probably sh**tting his pants when he has to drive his oversized truck briefly through an urban area to get to the Chiefs' practice facility.

He looks exactly like a closeted Gus Kenworthy
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2024, 01:23:29 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Did he say that women should be mandated to have children and be banned from working outside the home? And if not then how is him communicating Christian teachings at a religious institution all that different than Jesus doing the same? I get the sense that this person would have the exact same reaction to hearing Jesus speak, which makes this opinion entirely worthless to Christians.

He called women working a "diabolical lie." I get why you're defending that here given your own awful previous comments on how you view the role of women in society.
I can tell you it is very un-Christlike, which is common amongst especially zealous religious converts who are attracted to an ideology rather than a faith.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2024, 01:40:20 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

He called women working a "diabolical lie." I get why you're defending that here given your own awful previous comments on how you view the role of women in society.
I can tell you it is very un-Christlike, which is common amongst especially zealous religious converts who are attracted to an ideology rather than a faith.

I read it as him calling women focusing on careers over family a diabolical lie. And as I said above, his chief error was not extending that to men too. He did speak about the importance of men in the household, but mostly in the context of not being absentee fathers. A father should as a matter of course put his family before his career and not waste his life being a slave for corporate masters who don't care about him.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

I read it as him calling women focusing on careers over family a diabolical lie. And as I said above, his chief error was not extending that to men too. He did speak about the importance of men in the household, but mostly in the context of not being absentee fathers. A father should as a matter of course put his family before his career and not waste his life being a slave for corporate masters who don't care about him.

There were other concerning things in his speech about other matters.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2024, 02:02:34 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Yeah, he was just communicating Christian teachings the same way all these kooks were just communicating Christian teachings when they campaigned for abortion to be banned or for depriving gays from their rights.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2024, 02:26:14 PM »

I would think his homophobic attacks on Pride Month would be getting more attention. Maybe they are and "the algorithm" isn't showing it to me.

Everything he said would have been easily excused and praised had it not been for Kitchengate. The red line has regressed but not by that much. Yet.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2024, 02:27:25 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Yeah, he was just communicating Christian teachings the same way all these kooks were just communicating Christian teachings when they campaigned for abortion to be banned or for depriving gays from their rights.

Suppose he told them to give away all of their possessions  to clothe the naked and feed the poor. Would you still be sharing outrage over him trying to control how others live?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2024, 02:31:01 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Suppose he told them to give away all of their possessions  to clothe the naked and feed the poor. Would you still be sharing outrage over him trying to control how others live?

That would be amazing.

But when was the last Christian sports or media personality or politician to say that on a public stage?

You'd think it'd happen at least a few times. Given that it's the core message of Christianity.

I think that's the point the poster was making.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2024, 02:37:48 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

That would be amazing.

But when was the last Christian sports or media personality or politician to say that on a public stage?

You'd think it'd happen at least a few times. Given that it's the core message of Christianity.

“I’ve said many times over many years that if we ignore the poor, we will go to hell: literally.” – Archbishop Emeritus Charles Chaput of Philadelphia

And this is a guy who in other matters was seen as a staunch conservative.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2024, 02:39:20 PM »

Someone made a controversial statement in their private life to an audience at a privately funded institution that specifically caters to people who are much more likely than the general public to agree with that statement.  This is basic free speech.  It's not like he's the governor of Missouri or Kansas and tried to impose this as policy by executive order.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2024, 02:50:07 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

That would be amazing.

I agree it would be amazing; greed is a massive idol in this country and nobody seriously questions it. Who among us could be the widow giving her entire livelihood? Certainly not I.

I bring it up because by the standards of the FB post Lyndon shared he would be forced to also condemn that message, as it is telling others how to live (or I suppose, "controlling" them). If that was his point, he did not communicate it well. Wink
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2024, 02:56:27 PM »

Anyone that thinks the Republican Party is going to recover with women after Trump is a fool. This is obviously the future of conservatism. It's geared almost exclusively to insecure men.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2024, 03:02:44 PM »

Also, LOL at the idea that this guy is "communicating Christian teachings." If this greedy, good for nothing, brain-dead whoremonger is representative of Christianity then that religion will be dead soon in this country.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2024, 03:03:22 PM »

I agree it would be amazing; greed is a massive idol in this country and nobody seriously questions it. Who among us could be the widow giving her entire livelihood? Certainly not I.

I bring it up because by the standards of the FB post Lyndon shared he would be forced to also condemn that message, as it is telling others how to live (or I suppose, "controlling" them). If that was his point, he did not communicate it well. Wink

If they start putting their money where their mouth is (like they do decades now with abortion and gay rights) then we'll see.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2024, 03:17:09 PM »

If they start putting their money where their mouth is (like they do decades now with abortion and gay rights) then we'll see.

I've spoken out elsewhere about the need to help others and criticized the modern GOP for their fanatical hatred of doing such, but at the end of the day the message I proposed is still "controlling others" just as much as what he actually said was.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2024, 04:44:40 PM »

The Catholic Church runs of the largest charities globally ever.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2024, 06:54:34 PM »

Maybe. But in the US they seem to care almost exclusively about politics and imposing their views to other people (much like southern Evangelicals do). That has been true ever since the Legion of Decency which decided what movies should be shown in cinemas and how they should depict not only the Catholic church itself but everything, from sex to profanity.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2024, 07:03:28 PM »

Maybe. But in the US they seem to care almost exclusively about politics and imposing their views to other people (much like southern Evangelicals do). That has been true ever since the Legion of Decency which decided what movies should be shown in cinemas and how they should depict not only the Catholic church itself but everything, from sex to profanity.

There’s a reason Pope Francis sacked Joseph Strickland. I wish Pope Francis would do more cleaning up of the American church.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2024, 07:41:12 PM »

There’s a reason Pope Francis sacked Joseph Strickland. I wish Pope Francis would do more cleaning up of the American church.

You also have to consider the fact that; it's hard to find replacements. Priests are turning down appointments at a higher rate, and it's hard to find priests ( at least in America ) with Pope Francis's pastoral vision. Some good appointments have been made in the last few months but not enough.

Cardinal Sean O Malley is almost 80 and he still hasn't retired yet because the Vatican can't find a replacement for him, and he's relatively moderate.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2024, 07:43:49 PM »

You don't see this kind of polarization with non Anglo catholic communities. I wonder why. And as some pointed out the big shift in US Christianity is with Minority Christians.

Then again, No one seems to follow the Late Cardinal Francis George's reminder; that the church is neither Liberal or Conservative, simply Catholic.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2024, 08:02:43 PM »

He says being a mom is more important than having a career or education, but being a father isn't? These guys never seem to value fatherhood much.

If someone said being a father was more important than your job or education there wouldn't be one single person complaining about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies