Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:04:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level  (Read 2512 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2024, 12:07:17 PM »

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial.

Because that isn't the point he was making.

You mean that’s not the point that you read in?

From a Facebook friend:

Here's a theology lesson: For Christians,the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament presents (among other things) guidelines on how YOU should live... not on how you should control how OTHERS live. Any ‘church” that teaches otherwise is one you should run from.

If the New Testament gives guidelines on how you should live, those same guidelines can be applied to others. Your Facebook friend posted gibberish.

Talk more when you are ready to give up your career and dreams so that your- checks notes - life can start by being a homemaker, father, and husband. After all, according to Harrison butker you've been fed the greatest lies in the world by saying that you can achieve more satisfaction in life outside of those roles.

I mean, are we waiting for him to retire to take up those roles tomorrow? Or is he just selling some double standard BS dressed up as Christian piety?

Badger, if my partner made millions of dollars a year playing sports, I would gladly be a stay-at-home husband, wouldn’t you? Or are you under the delusion that your job is more important than raising your kids and having more time to devote to your hobbies (sh!tposting on Atlas Forum)? If so, it sounds like you’ve bought into a diabolical lie!

I don't necessarily have a problem with the premise that having a successful career and raising a family can (and should) be harmonious.  Maybe that's what he was going for here (though I sincerely doubt it). 

Rather, it's the disturbingly high amount of men who still believe that women pursuing careers is a detriment to society.  It's one of the few places where I'm a hardliner: if you truly believe that, you're wrong.  No exceptions.  And Butker's statements have apparently empowered these individuals. 

Social media is not necessarily representative of real-life, but on posts about this story, many of the top rated comments are along the lines of "he's right, society was better before women entered the work force". 

Obviously, you'll always get trolls and troublemakers, but these posts get hundreds of likes -- signifying that there are a lot more people out there who believe this nonsense than there should be. 

Perhaps an even more telling- even saddening - demonstration of how popular butker's views are. His T-shirt is now the highest selling one in the NFL store.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2024, 12:19:19 PM »

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial. I’d think that the parts where he explicitly attacks political and church leaders would get more attention.

If he said parent then it wouldn’t have been as controversial. The role of a father is extremely important as well

To add onto this , this even applies to families where the mom is a stay at home mom . My mom was a stay at home mom till I was in high school but that did not mean my mom did all the work in raising me as my dad put in a lot of the work as well .

Most of the people who lecture others about this type of life almost certainly do so because they think it gives them the Excuse to do none of the house work or put in no effort in raising kids and that type of mentality is completely wrong .

Except lecturing others over this type of life is exactly what Harrison butker did.

Agreed
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2024, 12:19:50 PM »

I would add a lack of sexual activity to reasons why some men have little to no respect for women. My wife and I engage in healthy, explosive lovemaking on a daily basis, after even the most grueling day at the office. You'll pardon me if I don't elaborate but I have no wish to share the most intimate details of my marriage with a crass and vulgar readership. If that disappoints you, so be it.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2024, 12:39:47 PM »

I would add a lack of sexual activity to reasons why some men have little to no respect for women. My wife and I engage in healthy, explosive lovemaking on a daily basis, after even the most grueling day at the office. You'll pardon me if I don't elaborate but I have no wish to share the most intimate details of my marriage with a crass and vulgar readership. If that disappoints you, so be it.

I don't want to read about the physical nature of your relationship, but I do want to read about the respect for women it fosters in you.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2024, 07:31:04 PM »

I don't want to read about the physical nature of your relationship, but I do want to read about the respect for women it fosters in you.

(Grunting) "Babe, I respect you SO much!"
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2024, 05:41:25 AM »

Chief's Daughter Speaks Up

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7HTTv9LLEe/

I kind of felt that my mothers life was better in her working years. She was more organised and successful.

It's not cut and dry for each mother though.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2024, 05:52:45 AM »

(Grunting) "Babe, I respect you SO much!"

Attagirl!
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2024, 10:20:42 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2024, 10:26:10 AM by DaleCooper »

Perhaps an even more telling- even saddening - demonstration of how popular butker's views are. His T-shirt is now the highest selling one in the NFL store.

I think part of that is that sports in general is turning into a clique for reactionary bearded men. Even real sports like football seem to be turning into MMA or NASCAR in terms of the type of fandom it attracts.

It doesn't help that football is horribly boring to watch now because of the penalties and commercial breaks. You'd have to be pretty weird to enjoy watching two hours of commercial breaks and another hour of watching people stand around waiting for the official review of every other play.

I also forgot to mention it's extremely expensive. You'd have to be a total asshole to waste money going to a game in person at this point, and you have to have cable or premium streaming services to watch everything. It's a mess.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2024, 10:41:30 AM »

I think part of that is that sports in general is turning into a clique for reactionary bearded men. Even real sports like football seem to be turning into MMA or NASCAR in terms of the type of fandom it attracts.

It doesn't help that football is horribly boring to watch now because of the penalties and commercial breaks. You'd have to be pretty weird to enjoy watching two hours of commercial breaks and another hour of watching people stand around waiting for the official review of every other play.

I also forgot to mention it's extremely expensive. You'd have to be a total asshole to waste money going to a game in person at this point, and you have to have cable or premium streaming services to watch everything. It's a mess.

Basketball is much more interesting to watch. At this point, with all the penalties and commercials you mentioned, even soccer too. Perhaps football is finally on the decline. A decent number of millennial parents won't let their kids play because of CTE risks, I'm guessing that number will only grow the more we learn.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2024, 10:41:37 AM »

This is false lol . The NFL just recorded its 2nd highest average ratings ever last season so it’s just as popular as it ever was . The fact is conservatives, liberals have both attacked the nfl constantly but in reality it has done nothing to dent the NFL’s popularity .

Also it’s false to say you need cable to watch the NFL as at least 90% of NFL games are broadcast on CBS NBC or Fox all of which you only need an antenna to watch .

https://fortune.com/2024/01/10/nfl-ratings-tv-second-highest-ever-football/
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2024, 10:44:29 AM »

Everything I know about the Kansas City Chiefs I know 1. against my will, 2. via Taylor Swift, or 3. both. Seems like a nasty bunch of people.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2024, 10:47:14 AM »

Basketball is much more interesting to watch. At this point, with all the penalties and commercials you mentioned, even soccer too. Perhaps football is finally on the decline. A decent number of millennial parents won't let their kids play because of CTE risks, I'm guessing that number will only grow the more we learn.

Basketball’s biggest issue is the vast majority of games are only accessible if you have cable subscription. Also the regular season is way too long and irrelevant since a 10th seeded team has a chance to make the playoffs now thanks to the play in .

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2024, 12:40:04 PM »

That went well.

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2024, 01:50:16 PM »

I don't remember this much backlash from media (social media or broadcast/news media) when the Chiefs had multiple domestic abusers (Frank Clark, Tyreek Hill) on their roster.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2024, 02:27:14 PM »

NFL should fine him for this
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2024, 02:51:12 PM »

I don't remember this much backlash from media (social media or broadcast/news media) when the Chiefs had multiple domestic abusers (Frank Clark, Tyreek Hill) on their roster.
getting 4 pages of recreational outrage over domestic violence? impossible
getting 4 pages of recreational outrage over a commencement speech at a college few had heard of before this story and most coulldn't name now? easy
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2024, 02:55:17 PM »

How is this thread 4 pages?

This story seems to be "NFL player gives speech and says things that some people don't like"
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2024, 03:05:42 PM »

How is this thread 4 pages?

This story seems to be "NFL player gives speech and says things that some people don't like"

I'm just waiting to find out how Satan and a mid-west governor are involved.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2024, 03:24:11 PM »

This is false lol . The NFL just recorded its 2nd highest average ratings ever last season so it’s just as popular as it ever was . The fact is conservatives, liberals have both attacked the nfl constantly but in reality it has done nothing to dent the NFL’s popularity .

Also it’s false to say you need cable to watch the NFL as at least 90% of NFL games are broadcast on CBS NBC or Fox all of which you only need an antenna to watch .

The ratings may not be declining, but the types of people watching it have definitely changed. Fewer and fewer young people care about sports and, regardless of what the ratings say, a lot of people who used to watch football regularly have given up on it. Not for political reasons, but because the experience is terrible. Nonstop commercials, nonstop penalties, nonstop official reviews, and it is less accessible than it used to be. "You only need an antenna to watch." Lol.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2024, 03:27:01 PM »

The ratings may not be declining, but the types of people watching it have definitely changed. Fewer and fewer young people care about sports and, regardless of what the ratings say, a lot of people who used to watch football regularly have given up on it. Not for political reasons, but because the experience is terrible. Nonstop commercials, nonstop penalties, nonstop official reviews, and it is less accessible than it used to be. "You only need an antenna to watch." Lol.
The Superbowl had the highest viewership of anything since the Moon Landing, you don’t get those numbers without universal appeal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2024, 03:42:00 PM »

The really bizarre thing about this thread is that whenever non-news worthy story threads go on this long it's because Fuzzy Bear comes in and says something and that crew who are inexplicably obsessed with him and must reply to every single thing he says pile it on and drag it out....but here Fuzzy hasn't even posted once in this thread?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2024, 03:55:23 PM »

The Superbowl had the highest viewership of anything since the Moon Landing, you don’t get those numbers without universal appeal.

Superbowl doesn't count.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2024, 03:58:42 PM »

Well well well…
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2024, 04:05:11 PM »

The NFL is arguably more exciting from a casual perspective than it used to be as there are more pass plays and less run plays than before . Also yes its true that the NFL is extremely accessible to watch as CBS, NBC , FOX are all stations you get over the air and do not need a cable Or streaming subscription for and now they are increasingly adding ABC to the roster too . So the NFL is arguably even more accessible than it used to be not less .

The only time you run into issues is if you’re a fan of an out of market team and the Inmarket team is playing at the same time slot and Channel as the team you are a fan off . Outside of that you pretty much should have zero problem watching football on Sundays.

Lastly your point on demographics isn’t really true either as 64% of the fan base is between the age of 25 and 39 which is a prime market base for a sports league :
 https://www.sponsorpulse.com/insights/nfl-fan-demographics-who-are-footballs-biggest-fans
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2024, 05:10:45 PM »

Um, that probably had to do something with the current girlfriend of a certain player.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies