Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 07:27:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)  (Read 6949 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2024, 09:28:28 PM »

I do have to ask, might CNN be cheeky, think they'd get more views in a three way debate, and count states where Kennedy turned in way more signatures than needed as him having ballot access?

Outside that, I don't think he makes it in unless the Libertarians somehow crossnominate him.

The Biden campaign seems to be under the impression that CNN would do the opposite and find a technicality to lock Kennedy out.

If the Biden or Trump campaigns do not want Kennedy on the stage he will not be there. CNN is in no position to dictate the rules. Biden campaign can simply refuse to do a 3 way debate and insist Kennedy would be nothing but a distraction only there because Trump is afraid to debate 1 on 1.

FWIW If I was the Biden campaign there is no way I would agree to a three way debate.

If Trump and his campaign really believe that RFK Jr. is siphoning votes from them (like the news say) then I don't get why they should want him on the debate stage.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2024, 03:24:22 AM »

RFK Jr. being up there would at least add something new to the mix. I can only imagine he'll come off as completely awful, probably even worse than the other two.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2024, 04:18:56 AM »

RFK Jr. being up there would at least add something new to the mix. I can only imagine he'll come off as completely awful, probably even worse than the other two.

How kind of you to think that the antivaxxer fanatic who loves Putin and wants to doxx people who criticize him on the internet is PROBABLY worse than Biden.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2024, 05:32:48 AM »

How kind of you to think that the antivaxxer fanatic who loves Putin and wants to doxx people who criticize him on the internet is PROBABLY worse than Biden.

Are you quite alright?
Obama24
United States
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2024, 08:26:19 AM »

I do have to ask, might CNN be cheeky, think they'd get more views in a three way debate, and count states where Kennedy turned in way more signatures than needed as him having ballot access?

Outside that, I don't think he makes it in unless the Libertarians somehow crossnominate him.

The Biden campaign seems to be under the impression that CNN would do the opposite and find a technicality to lock Kennedy out.

If the Biden or Trump campaigns do not want Kennedy on the stage he will not be there. CNN is in no position to dictate the rules. Biden campaign can simply refuse to do a 3 way debate and insist Kennedy would be nothing but a distraction only there because Trump is afraid to debate 1 on 1.

FWIW If I was the Biden campaign there is no way I would agree to a three way debate.

If Trump and his campaign really believe that RFK Jr. is siphoning votes from them (like the news say) then I don't get why they should want him on the debate stage.

I’ve given this some thought. Maybe Trump et al feel if Kennedy is on stage, he can make Kennedy look like a nut or delegitimise him EG how Jeb, Rubio etc were handled in 2016. He might feel he could knock Kennedy’s appeal down. You want this guy who’s trying to be me? No you want the real me.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2024, 10:45:05 AM »

Just the way he talks alone is worse.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2024, 11:41:01 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2024, 10:31:21 AM by Torie »

The challenge for Biden will be to credibly refute Trump's lies. That will take substantial prep by Biden. Maybe klain as the one charged with prepping Biden is up to the task. He's incredibly smart.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2024, 12:26:53 PM »

Let's get one thing straight.  Bobby won't be on stage - neither Biden nor Trump want him there.  This gameplay is just a game of chicken - trying to get the other campaign to put in a veto for RFK Jr. so they can take some public credit for appearing ready to have him on.  In the end someone will veto Bobby, and I wouldn't waste too much analytical time on whether it was Biden or Trump.  And in sincerity, he is a distraction at best (although if he were to participate, I would stock up on the popcorn Smiley).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2024, 02:40:48 PM »

Yeah, I don't think RFK's campaign team actually wants him in this debate. They want him excluded so he can complain...

Can you imagine this guy and Trump going back and forth?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2024, 05:32:53 PM »

Without even getting into the substance of what RFK Jr. is saying, he's just painful to listen to. I get that it's something that's out of his hands but it's a reality him and his people will have to deal with if he gets on the debate stage.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2024, 07:31:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't think RFK's campaign team actually wants him in this debate. They want him excluded so he can complain...

Jesus he sounds terrible. This guy makes Biden sound like a master orator.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2024, 09:31:53 PM »

Watching this interview, this guy (RFK) is a snake and he has a convenient answer / excuse for everything he is called out on. Also, it's very libertarian of him to want to ban late term abortion - I thought libertarianism was about personal freedom? It says a lot about his character that he would literally rather say worms ate part of his brain than pay spousal support. I am against alimony in its present form, but to try to claim worms ate your brain to dodge it?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2024, 09:02:50 AM »

RFK needs one more poll over 15% to qualify for the debate now.

And ballot access in states with at least 270 electoral votes.

Which seems extremely unlikely. Where's the other 3 polls for RFK over 15% though? Are we counting the entire cycle or is there a time frame? He's only been above 15 in one recently (Marquette out today?)

I actually thought he needed 15% on average, not in an x number of polls. Ergo, RCP or 538 average.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2024, 09:08:36 AM »

RFK needs one more poll over 15% to qualify for the debate now.

And ballot access in states with at least 270 electoral votes.

Which seems extremely unlikely. Where's the other 3 polls for RFK over 15% though? Are we counting the entire cycle or is there a time frame? He's only been above 15 in one recently (Marquette out today?)

I actually thought he needed 15% on average, not in an x number of polls. Ergo, RCP or 538 average.

No, it's at least 15% in four qualifying polls.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2024, 10:35:52 AM »

But it seems that Biden scheduled the debate too early for R
JRK to qualify for 270 electoral votes, so the polls don't matter
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2024, 01:24:14 PM »

Jesus he sounds terrible. This guy makes Biden sound like a master orator.

Biden used to be a master orator, but he has lost the ability to speak, unfortunately.
Or I have lost the ability to understand what he is saying.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #241 on: May 30, 2024, 05:47:04 PM »

This'll be good now
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2024, 10:44:44 AM »

There's not going to be a debate in June.  Trump just finished his "news conference"--which was a 35 minute rambling stream of consciousness and then he simply walked away.

He's not going to allow any sort of impartial forum which opens him up to every sort of queries.   He'll make up some excuse and get out of the debates and will appeal to drive up his base.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2024, 11:38:20 AM »

Odd- CNN plans to run commercials during the debate

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2024, 01:32:30 PM »

Odd- CNN plans to run commercials during the debate

Gross.

Tbh, I'm still skeptical about whether this debate will even happen.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2024, 01:34:17 PM »

That's why I watch MSNBC not Fox or CNN you can't trust them didn't CNN have Trump up 8 in MI
dspNY
United States

« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2024, 05:32:44 PM »

After Trump's slurry ramble the day after his felony convictions, can his handlers actually risk him in a debate? It was so bad that the networks were commenting on how diminished he was mentally
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2024, 04:36:26 AM »

After Trump's slurry ramble the day after his felony convictions, can his handlers actually risk him in a debate? It was so bad that the networks were commenting on how diminished he was mentally

He was the one who insisted for these debates. Pulling out will be a PR disaster.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2024, 10:17:02 AM »

Trump definitely seems to have less to gain by debating Biden at this point.
VALibertarian
LordPhantasm8
Rookie
United States

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2024, 12:46:10 PM »

Trump definitely seems to have less to gain by debating Biden at this point.

I disagree; to a point. The debate is Trump's chance to mitigate the conviction fallout by pressing home his political persecution points; ie hammer on how the judge and his family are dem donors, how Bragg campaigned on persecuting Trump, how this was a novel legal theory stretched to target him with felonies (regardless of whether these are true). If he can stick to the script, appear coherent and stay calm and keep hammering home the message of, are you better off now than you were in 2019, the debate could be a reasonable chance to regain some ground.

Granted; I highly doubt Trump can do any of that but at the core in theory a debate isn't a bad opportunity for Trump.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies