Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:35:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)  (Read 6811 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2024, 12:48:45 PM »

RFK needs one more poll over 15% to qualify for the debate now.

And ballot access in states with at least 270 electoral votes.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2024, 12:49:38 PM »

Which seems extremely unlikely. Where's the other 3 polls for RFK over 15% though? Are we counting the entire cycle or is there a time frame? He's only been above 15 in one recently (Marquette out today?)
kyc0705

« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2024, 02:31:18 PM »

Which seems extremely unlikely. Where's the other 3 polls for RFK over 15% though? Are we counting the entire cycle or is there a time frame? He's only been above 15 in one recently (Marquette out today?)

The window opened on March 13. From a quick look through the polling databases, it looks like he hit the mark in a Quinnipiac poll and a CNN poll from April.

I think he will hit the polling threshold but I agree that ballot access will probably keep him out in the end.
Harlow

« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2024, 07:28:18 PM »

The window opened on March 13. From a quick look through the polling databases, it looks like he hit the mark in a Quinnipiac poll and a CNN poll from April.

I think he will hit the polling threshold but I agree that ballot access will probably keep him out in the end.

I think it'll depend on how quickly states approve his signatures. According to Wikipedia, he's currently at 223 electors counting states that he has submitted signatures to.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2024, 07:40:45 PM »

I think it'll depend on how quickly states approve his signatures. According to Wikipedia, he's currently at 223 electors counting states that he has submitted signatures to.

Most of those states have not solidifed their ballot yet and likely won't before June 30.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2024, 07:42:58 PM »

It's gonna be class warfare we know that the Trump tax cuts benefits the oil Corporation that's why oil states like TX and AK still supports Trump and blue states that's Environmental supports Biden

The 35/21 tax cuts benefits oil Corporation to a large extension
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2024, 09:06:10 PM »

There's also the clause that the polls must meet "CNNs standards for reporting". Since they don't have a prearranged list like the CPD did, I feel like this'll get used to throw out a poll to keep Kennedy from qualifying. I'd be very shocked if they did let him in.
kyc0705

« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2024, 09:10:33 PM »

They have a list:

Polls that meet CNN editorial standards and will be considered qualifying polls include those sponsored by: CNN, ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, Marquette University Law School, Monmouth University, NBC News, the New York Times/Siena College, NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist College, Quinnipiac University, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2024, 09:29:31 PM »

Both bozos will back out if Kennedy's let it. Even if Kennedy sucks, both parties are bipartisan in their efforts to never let a third candidate participate.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2024, 09:49:04 PM »

Both bozos will back out if Kennedy's let it. Even if Kennedy sucks, both parties are bipartisan in their efforts to never let a third candidate participate.

Actually, Trump's already said he's fine with it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/16/us/politics/trump-debates-rfk-jr.html

So I guess there's a scenario where we get a repeat of the 1980 Reagan-Anderson Debate.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2024, 10:18:13 PM »

RFK debating I think would help Biden.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2024, 08:16:56 AM »

So I guess there's a scenario where we get a repeat of the 1980 Reagan-Anderson Debate.

Why would anyone trust anything that man says?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2024, 01:33:09 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2024, 05:55:32 PM »

Maybe it was mentioned somewhere but i guess none of the debates will be a townhall meeting.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2024, 08:34:51 PM »

Maybe it was mentioned somewhere but i guess none of the debates will be a townhall meeting.

Correct. It was a huge expense that we're probably better off without.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2024, 10:17:51 PM »

I don't think there's a chance in hell this happens. Biden obviously doesn't WANT RFK Jr on the stage but he wants this way way less as a Trump RFK debate is 100% upside for Trump. He'll be there if it's a three way for the first debate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2024, 03:07:13 AM »

Smart move (maybe?). Tbh I'm not sure how long either of them can stand at this point without hurting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2024, 03:35:57 AM »

June is so early. It looks like the earliest previous general election Presidential debate was September 21, 1980.

They've both accepted a 2nd debate with ABC News for September 10!

Even that would be a record for the earliest debate otherwise.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2024, 02:38:51 PM »

June is maybe too early but the September date I think makes sense when voting can last a month in some places.
Compuzled_One
United States
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2024, 03:08:03 PM »

I do have to ask, might CNN be cheeky, think they'd get more views in a three way debate, and count states where Kennedy turned in way more signatures than needed as him having ballot access?

Outside that, I don't think he makes it in unless the Libertarians somehow crossnominate him.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2024, 04:39:56 PM »

God forbid the voters get to ask questions to the candidates directly.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2024, 04:54:24 PM »

God forbid the voters get to ask questions to the candidates directly.

I'm really not convinced the election was ever influenced much by questions from what always seemed to be Safe D constituencies. Even though it's ostensibly undecided voters, it's not really representative of anyone who will realistically swing the result, and there wasn't really a good way to verify that they were legit undecided.

Then you consider the extra space/equipment required, the effort of going through the questions ahead of time to avoid duplicates/trolls, and the cost of feeding these people dinner (yep, this was part of it), and at some point it's just not worth it.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2024, 06:36:38 PM »

I do have to ask, might CNN be cheeky, think they'd get more views in a three way debate, and count states where Kennedy turned in way more signatures than needed as him having ballot access?

Outside that, I don't think he makes it in unless the Libertarians somehow crossnominate him.

The Biden campaign seems to be under the impression that CNN would do the opposite and find a technicality to lock Kennedy out.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2024, 06:50:43 PM »

The Biden campaign seems to be under the impression that CNN would do the opposite and find a technicality to lock Kennedy out.

If the Biden or Trump campaigns do not want Kennedy on the stage he will not be there. CNN is in no position to dictate the rules. Biden campaign can simply refuse to do a 3 way debate and insist Kennedy would be nothing but a distraction only there because Trump is afraid to debate 1 on 1.

FWIW If I was the Biden campaign there is no way I would agree to a three way debate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2024, 07:08:23 PM »

Prez Eday is over Oct, practically because early voting we know Biden is almost at 270 because AZ/GA/NV/NC are the clincher, Biden have more paths to 270 than Trump.

As I said earlier it's gonna be a class warfare between rich and poor we know Trump wants to put in more GORSUCH judges and renew his tax cuts
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies