How would you grade the Biden campaign so far?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:38:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How would you grade the Biden campaign so far?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Grade
A+

A

A-

B+

B

B-

C+

C

C-

D+

D

D-

F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: How would you grade the Biden campaign so far?  (Read 494 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2024, 05:20:07 PM »

title
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 05:50:14 PM »

B. There are things they have done/seem to be doing well and things I think could be done better.

For things their doing well, they're raising an insane amount of money, seem to be talking nowhere for granted, and seem to be investing across the battlegrounds to create a variety of potential paths even if public polling suggests MI/WI/PA is their only or clearest path.

I also like how the campaign seems to really see itself as helping not only Biden but Dems up and down the ballot on a national level. This was one of the things that was lacking during the Obama years which caused Congressional and State Level Democrats to really suffer imo.

In terms of messaging, I think their strategy of trying Trump to these unpopular positions using his own words and actions has been quite effective.

One thing that isn't fully in control of the Biden campaign, but I think could be better is controlling the narrative and use of the bully pulpit. Especially on social media, I've found very little pro-Biden content that actually attracts young people; there is far more content on both the left and right painting him as evil and senile which might help explain some of his polling struggles with younger voters. Yes there are the few Harry Sissons of the world but they're nowhere near enough to counteract the overall "vibes" on platforms like Instagram and TikTok.

This times into the last paragraph a bit, but another area in which I think the campaign has struggled is connecting to voters with lower social trust. That is inevitably going to be hard given the current state of our politics, but I think often democrat messaging can come across as either too academic or too feminine.

One final thing I don't necessarily think they're doing wrong but hope they realize, is that just spamming money on TV ads will eventually start to yield pretty marginal returns, and I'd hope to see that money go more towards building up stuff on social media and on the ground.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 05:53:10 PM »

D.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 06:12:46 PM »

I think the campaign itself is doing everything I would want it to, and trying their absolute best. The headwinds might just be too much for it to matter.

A-. I'm only taking off points because they're bothering in Florida.

Meanwhile, can we talk about the Trump campaign? Hemhorraging money, minimal events (even in spite of the trial), no real message. How is that a success in turn?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 09:59:54 PM »

D+
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 10:03:53 PM »

F. Trying to appease progressives that would likely have come home over winning the middle, and pretending that the economy is good when a majority of Americans think it is getting worse.

Trump is tied up in court and barely campaigning at all, while Biden has had a huge ad advantage (though Trump seems to be quickly catching up money-wise, so last month should have been the month where Biden gained the most, which has not really happened). Yet the head to head and Biden approval ratings have basically been stuck since November.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 10:14:50 PM »

D-, he needs to triangulate badly on Immigration and Crime. He needs to fire all the terminally online staffers who think using the word illegal immigrant is racist. Americans like the healthcare, abortion, etc. policies of Democrats, but for many, they see the party as too “woke” on certain social issues.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 10:49:29 PM »

D
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 12:17:05 AM »

C feels generous; it’s lower than I gave to Trump.

I think that the media has been giving Biden the shaft, but ultimately he needs to do better at messaging. I don’t doubt that he and the DNC have and will have far better infrastructure than Trump and the RNC, but infrastructure only goes so far if you are trailing heavily. I already mentioned this in the respective Trump thread, but I don’t think Biden would do as badly as the polls are suggesting even if the election was tomorrow. I’d hazard approximately a tie in the popular vote, which admittedly wouldn’t favor Biden.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 12:20:04 AM »

Impossible to say until we know the result. If Biden wins in November without anything major happening, then he was probably winning all along and running a good campaign. If he loses, then he gets an F.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 02:00:18 AM »

Impossible to say until we know the result. If Biden wins in November without anything major happening, then he was probably winning all along and running a good campaign. If he loses, then he gets an F.

Good point. We can't really say until the lection is over.

I was judging my answer based on what his campaign seems to be doing tgys far, and to me they are taking every warning from all sides to heart and doing their best to alter negative perceptions, contrast to Trump, run on his accomplishments, all while not taking any voter or state for geanted, even doing major precision targeting.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 04:49:26 AM »

I only voted F because that's the lowest option. In reality it's more of a Z. He should NOT be losing to Donald effing Trump!
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 05:48:34 AM »

I only voted F because that's the lowest option. In reality it's more of a Z. He should NOT be losing to Donald effing Trump!

I agree but can we point to anything he could have done different? It might just be like Germany in the mid 30’s… Too much of the country is brainwashed and a small but meaningful percentage is deluded into thinking the issues in the country at the moment will be changed with Trump.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 07:44:34 AM »

C, but F for running again in the first place.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 12:48:31 PM »

C+, not terrible but not gangbusters either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies