Does it blow your mind that Washington, D.C. has a higher homicide rate than Honduras?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:53:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does it blow your mind that Washington, D.C. has a higher homicide rate than Honduras?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Does it blow your mind that Washington, D.C. has a higher homicide rate than Honduras?  (Read 1063 times)
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2024, 02:53:36 PM »

Honestly, yes. I actually expected DC to be much safer, similar to New York.

It is pretty safe. I've been to DC at least 10 times. This thread is an incredibly dishonest framing of the issue.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2024, 02:58:09 PM »

It is pretty safe. I've been to DC at least 10 times. This thread is an incredibly dishonest framing of the issue.

I hope so, since it's my preferred destination for my next visit to the US (hopefully some time next year).
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2024, 03:17:07 PM »

I hope so, since it's my preferred destination for my next visit to the US (hopefully some time next year).

If you do, PM me if you need any itinerary suggestions.
The great thing about DC is it has an extensive transit network so you can get into the city easily even if you stay in the suburbs.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2024, 03:22:38 PM »

For an example of how criminal/dangerous DC is in my experience, a local chain called Foxtrot shut down about a month ago on very short notice. Such short notice, in fact, that they left all their stock on the shelves and the windows uncovered. A month later, their alcohol shelf is completely untouched despite being clearly visible from the street and the store being obviously unattended.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2024, 03:40:46 PM »

For an example of how criminal/dangerous DC is in my experience, a local chain called Foxtrot shut down about a month ago on very short notice. Such short notice, in fact, that they left all their stock on the shelves and the windows uncovered. A month later, their alcohol shelf is completely untouched despite being clearly visible from the street and the store being obviously unattended.

It opened its eighth D.C.-area store just five months ago in Logan Circle, with other store locations in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Navy Yard, Farragut Square, Mount Vernon, Old Town Alexandria, Rosslyn and Bethesda.

lol, these are some of the nicest neighborhoods in the country, let alone the DC area. That only means the other half of the city is even more dangerous than the stats suggest.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2024, 03:51:29 PM »

I’m sure a lot of people have to Honduras 10 times and have had zero issues as well.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2024, 04:03:04 PM »

I’m sure a lot of people have to Honduras 10 times and have had zero issues as well.

Tired and boring. Find a new topic to troll on please.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2024, 04:11:30 PM »

It opened its eighth D.C.-area store just five months ago in Logan Circle, with other store locations in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Navy Yard, Farragut Square, Mount Vernon, Old Town Alexandria, Rosslyn and Bethesda.

lol, these are some of the nicest neighborhoods in the country, let alone the DC area. That only means the other half of the city is even more dangerous than the stats suggest.

Sure, but that just goes to show why this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The story of DC's crime is way more about the legacy of segregation and horrible housing policies that make the experience in the city very different depending on where you are. Honduras's problems are a legacy of foreign colonial and corporate exploitation and, more recently, institutional corruption and unstable neighbors. They're just different situations that aren't very comparable one-to-one.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2024, 11:31:17 PM »

You have made this exact thread multiple times. Literally just spam at this point.

-Not even 3 weeks ago, same city even: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=589114

-Last year, comparing to Hounduras again: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=555319

And more broadly:

-Honduras comparison this week: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=591539.msg9473572#msg9473572

-Honduras-DC comparison this week: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=591555.msg9472646#msg9472646

-Comparing American cities to Honduras last month: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=587266.msg9442418#msg9442418

Anyhow, it does not surprise me that a city has a higher crime rate than a country. Cities are, in fact, more dangerous than rural areas. It's been this way since the dawn of civilization. I don't know how its a surprise to you either at this point, because you've been yammering about it for ages.

Welp, that's all I needed to know. Adding OP to the Ignore List.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies