James Carville puts young voters on blast in new rant - “You little f**king 26-year-old"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:19:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  James Carville puts young voters on blast in new rant - “You little f**king 26-year-old"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: James Carville puts young voters on blast in new rant - “You little f**king 26-year-old"  (Read 1424 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2024, 02:56:15 PM »

The issue is these young "progressives" seem intent to cut off their nose to spite their face. In 2016, many threw a tantrum that Bernie wasn't nominated and either stayed home or voted for Trump, and now they are the same ones protesting abortion bans, LGBTQ+ rights, and climate change which are a result of the Trump presidency.

and many of them won;'t get off their butts to vote because of Gaza.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2024, 04:20:17 PM »

The issue is these young "progressives" seem intent to cut off their nose to spite their face. In 2016, many threw a tantrum that Bernie wasn't nominated and either stayed home or voted for Trump, and now they are the same ones protesting abortion bans, LGBTQ+ rights, and climate change which are a result of the Trump presidency.

And then they will be shocked and protest even more when Trump turns out to be even more pro-Israel than Biden ever was.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2024, 04:37:43 PM »

And then they will be shocked and protest even more when Trump turns out to be even more pro-Israel than Biden ever was.

which makes voting essentially pointless, and explains why many just would stay home.

Because it does not matter at all. And i don't blame them. Either way, one is screwed.

One needs to earn their vote, in this case, he does not earn their vote. One is not entitled to one's vote by merely being slightly less evil than the other.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2024, 04:39:40 PM »

No wonder you always lose! Your idea of “persuasion” is the other guy is bad. How’d that work out for your boy Jeb?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2024, 04:44:28 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 04:50:22 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

Young people need generally need to be activated, since they have busy lifes, rather spend their time doing hedonist things instead of actually doing an effort, waiting in long lines in front a voting booth, to than have a choice between... these candidates that are running right now. Yeah sorry.

A big reason of why young people aren't going to be motivated or why Biden wouldn't be appealing is the ageing of society and the increasing weight of political / societal relevance for older people, which means that the average age of many political institution sharply increases, that older demographics due to less births and longer lifetimes have more political weight and that issues that appeal to these demographics will increase in relevance at the cost what young people care about.

As a result, you create a generation with general more apathy because essentially they don't matter, reinforcing the image that it is is not reliable to gamble or appeal to younger voters anyways, since it's harder to them turn out and the lack of attention to this demographic, only reinforces that. You essentially create a generation that is way more apathic to politics etc or that nothing changes at all in politics, a generation that overall will strongly disapprove of politics and most politicians in general.

This isn't even unique to the USA, we see in Europe a strong trend of younger people increasingly backing anti-establishment and populist movements as opposed to the traditionalist parties often in much higher numbers than the elderly or babyboomers. It's just that Trump really isn't the right face for "that movement" or to voice that dissatisfaction either, because he essentially is very similar to what they hate usually more (or even hate more than the actual establishment). And neither is RFK jr. even though he seems to be doing better than I expected him to.

RFKs appeal is that he is though an outsider and that people already have made up their minds about Biden or Trump. And that the Kennedy name by now is basically a mythical name, in the veins of Caesar or Christ.

This twitter vid shows that he fundamentally doesn't understand young people, think negatively about him which isn't gonna help, and at the end also no-one is going to bother finding out about this man's opinion or who he even is, and i don't even care as well.

All one has to reply is basically: "ok boomer".

RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 04:49:35 PM »

which makes voting essentially pointless, and explains why many just would stay home.

Because it does not matter at all. And i don't blame them. Either way, one is screwed.

One needs to earn their vote, in this case, he does not earn their vote. One is not entitled to one's vote by merely being slightly less evil than the other.

I mean, there are issues that Biden has made great strides on or has positions that they are more likely to agree with, so they could look at other issues.

I won’t feel a lot of sympathy for someone who decides not to vote due to a single far away issue (e.g., Gaza) and then needs help with some issue that a Biden presidency would’ve averted (e.g., abortion) but that a Trump administration would exacerbate.

If they want to miss the forest for the trees, that’s up to them, but it doesn’t mean that I can’t be annoyed at their obtuseness.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 04:53:43 PM »

I mean, there are issues that Biden has made great strides on or has positions that they are more likely to agree with, so they could look at other issues.

I won’t feel a lot of sympathy for someone who decides not to vote due to a single far away issue (e.g., Gaza) and then needs help with some issue that a Biden presidency would’ve averted (e.g., abortion) but that a Trump administration would exacerbate.

If they want to miss the forest for the trees, that’s up to them, but it doesn’t mean that I can’t be annoyed at their obtuseness.

Perhaps it's a single far away issue for you and that tells someone maybe something about your personality, but it isn't a far away issue for me, or especially for the citizens of Gaza.

And the USA blocked all attempts to stop the war, humanitarian aid or ceasefire, or did not do enough to do so, basically blocking an otherwise unanimous agreement in the UN singlehandedly.

Personally, i don't think a genocide is a minor issue. Clinton's presidency also was hurt because he didn't do enough in the Balkan wars or the Rwanda genocide, it's basically the biggest criticizing one can do on his presidency and one that matters.

Look, genocide is not a far away issue or a minor issue, especially when the role of USA is vital in not doing more to put a red line on it. The USA can prevent it, and they aren't doing it.

And if that's a minor issue to you, than that's something I consider a very sad thing especially for people who call themselves liberal, pro-human rights, humanitarian. Because at the very least it is not consistently that these values are followed.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 05:05:28 PM »

Perhaps it's a single far away issue for you and that tells someone maybe something about your personality, but it isn't a far away issue for me, or especially for the citizens of Gaza.

And the USA blocked all attempts to stop the war, humanitarian aid or ceasefire, or did not do enough to do so, basically blocking an otherwise unanimous agreement in the UN singlehandedly.

Personally, i don't think a genocide is a minor issue. Clinton's presidency also was hurt because he didn't do enough in the Balkan wars or the Rwanda genocide, it's basically the biggest criticizing one can do on his presidency and one that matters.

Look, genocide is not a far away issue or a minor issue, especially when the role of USA is vital in not doing more to put a red line on it. The USA can prevent it, and they aren't doing it.

And if that's a minor issue to you, than that's something I consider a very sad thing especially for people who call themselves liberal, pro-human rights, humanitarian. Because at the very least it is not consistently that these values are followed.

Don’t think that I wish that this war would continue until the Palestinians are eradicated. I wish that it could’ve been over months ago (and not just because of its effects on Biden’s chances). Honestly, anything more than a week after 10/7 was probably overkill. Israel and Hamas don’t really see the need to end it. Sure, I wish that we wouldn’t send aid to Israel that could be used for offensive purposes against Gaza, but I live in a place called reality where I recognize that I can’t always get my way and that getting *something* is better than getting *nothing*.

And in terms of my personality, I think it does tell a lot indeed. It means that I can consider multiple issues at once and pick which option is the best based on a number of variables.

P.S. I guess the humanitarian aid port that the US is building is meaningless.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 05:40:32 PM »

You can't reason with these people. Stop attempting to. The young people the left should be appealing to are the ones that are concerned about their finances and their future, not the protesters.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 06:56:00 PM »

Don’t think that I wish that this war would continue until the Palestinians are eradicated. I wish that it could’ve been over months ago (and not just because of its effects on Biden’s chances). Honestly, anything more than a week after 10/7 was probably overkill. Israel and Hamas don’t really see the need to end it. Sure, I wish that we wouldn’t send aid to Israel that could be used for offensive purposes against Gaza, but I live in a place called reality where I recognize that I can’t always get my way and that getting *something* is better than getting *nothing*.

And in terms of my personality, I think it does tell a lot indeed. It means that I can consider multiple issues at once and pick which option is the best based on a number of variables.

P.S. I guess the humanitarian aid port that the US is building is meaningless.

A lot of issues matter, i agree with that, but this one is one of the most urgent, because every day more people are killed. Other issues are not as important anymore. It doesn't mean that i don't care about them, it's just that i consider it a lot more important than 99% of issues. And from my bias, well most of what happens domestically in the USA doesn't affect me as well, so what I see first and foremost is its foreign policy.

And the "it's better than what Trump would've done" ain't gonna cut it. Sorry.

We still see the same symptoms of an imperialist USA, that enabled a person like Trump to even get to power in the first place. It reminds all of us again of why people voted for someone just to no longer get this anymore (neocon/neolib). This isn't the cure to Trumpism at all. It's what created Trumpism and other populist movements all across the world.

The entire world for instance voted to allow a humanitarian ceasefire, and the USA vetoes it. The entire world basically agrees to recognise the state of Palestine, and the USA again vetoes it. And if Biden than talks about Netanyahu is going to far, in private or not in private, i don't know anymore, his actions totally do not align with whatever rumours or words are being spread. The USA has the power to stop this massacre from occuring in an urban area where the average age is younger than the average of this internet forum, and they aren't.

The humanitarian port is one thing but it doesn't change the fact that what the USA is doing is far from enough, not even close to what it should be doing. Eventually, the kind of feeling i get is that whoever you vote in, the policies will remain the same, and that it all really doesn't matter.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 07:01:49 PM »

What a smug clown, and I say this as someone who will vote for Biden no matter what.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2024, 07:07:12 PM »

Thank you Mr Carville for making me feel young again as a 26-year-old
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2024, 07:11:58 PM »

What a smug clown, and I say this as someone who will vote for Biden no matter what.

Yeah he needed to stfu years ago. How is Son of Batboy screaming at you going to motivate anybody to vote?
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2024, 07:22:52 PM »

Needs to calm down. It’s April 30. Six months is an eternity in politics.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2024, 07:52:58 PM »

You can't reason with these people. Stop attempting to. The young people the left should be appealing to are the ones that are concerned about their finances and their future, not the protesters.

These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2024, 07:55:31 PM »

Getting angry and ranting doesn't make anyone change their mind. The strategy has to be to lay out what is at stake in a way that resonates with young votes. This isn't about single issues or policy anymore, it's about having a democratically functioning country. Under Trump protests wouldn't be allowed.

The issue with the mantra “our democracy is at stake” is that, for a lot of people my age, we’ve heard that for most of the elections we’ve been aware for. So we’re numb to it. And if you grew up in a lot of states you’ve been under extremely gerrymandered, anti-democratic systems for your entire life, so what’s there to save?

(When I moved from South Carolina to Colorado their democracy infrastructure here seemed other worldly.)

“Saving democracy” is just too ethereal to connect. Abortion rights, housing, LGBT rights, living wage jobs, even climate change and gun safety are issues that we face in our daily lives. That’s what resonates with us.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2024, 08:02:30 PM »

Getting angry and ranting doesn't make anyone change their mind. The strategy has to be to lay out what is at stake in a way that resonates with young votes. This isn't about single issues or policy anymore, it's about having a democratically functioning country. Under Trump protests wouldn't be allowed.

Yeah but most people on this forum get off on their own self-perceived superiority to young people.

I won't take lectures on choices from a guy who justifies affairs by saying "They're hardly disqualifying for politicians".
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2024, 08:07:22 PM »

No one I know IRL did this. My parents voted for Hillary (originally planned on Stein as a protest since SC is safe R but they were turned off by her anti-vax BS) and voted for Biden despite being big Bernie people and farther left than me (my mom has a subscription to the Freedom Socialist newspaper FFS)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2024, 10:00:16 PM »

Honestly, we’re at the point where both parties are more effective, or at least more comfortable, being in the opposition. These days, it’s easier to tear down things in American politics than to build anything truly lasting. So these kids are just internalizing the lessons that those who are actually in government are teaching them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2024, 10:15:24 PM »

Carville campaigned for Michael Bennet and he only got 0.3% in NH.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2024, 12:16:20 AM »

As a Sanders supporter in both 2016 and 2020 - and as someone who voted for Jill Stein in 2016 and Howie Hawkins in 2020 - I've not cared about what Carville rants about for some time. Naturally he's right to complain about democracy all he wants, but I'll continue voting third party, and hopefully some of these student protesters will follow suit.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2024, 08:16:33 AM »

James Carville is irrelevant, and we need to stop paying him mind. Young people don't care who he is and neither do millennials. Frankly I could care less what he has to say.
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2024, 09:45:56 AM »

Voted Sanders both times, and held my nose and voted for the nominee both times. Personally, I feel like 2020 was a much tougher decision whether to withhold my vote or not compared to this year. That primary left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Ultimately Biden has exceeded my low expectations and turned out to be somewhat better than Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. Still bad, but I think these young lefties really lack perspective.

A Biden loss will lead to nothing good for the left. It is a suicidal strategy, and I am disappointed that so many of my comrades are so easily duped by this obvious psyop campaign that's been conducted on them. When Bernie Sanders, AOC, Noam Chomsky, and Ralph Nader are all saying Trump is too dangerous to allow a 2nd term, and these kids think they're smarter than these people, it underlines how nonexistant the left actually is. If you trust no one and refuse to build alliances or coalitions, you will lose. Every fascist votes. They vote pragmatically and relentlessely and it has delivered results. The left in the US is too weak and disorganized to survive if the country transitions to an auth-right regime.

Carville's an idiot, but he's right. He had a moment in 1992 and this is his 2nd broken clock moment.
holtridge
Rookie
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2024, 10:03:15 AM »

Carville hasn't been relevant for over twenty years. Who gives a s### what he says. Vote for whoever you want.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2024, 10:37:37 AM »

Idk who James Carville is...

Why does this need its own thread?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies