James Carville puts young voters on blast in new rant - “You little f**king 26-year-old"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:43:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  James Carville puts young voters on blast in new rant - “You little f**king 26-year-old"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: James Carville puts young voters on blast in new rant - “You little f**king 26-year-old"  (Read 1513 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2024, 08:43:00 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 08:49:22 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of Carville and wouldn't use the same language, but on substance the dude isn't off. Young people indeed need to seriously consider whether this election is important. Do we really want this climate change denying, lying, cheatin' buffoon that tried to overthrow an election back in office?

And if you're truly upset about Palestine, ask yourself whether Trump would be better on the issue. Besides, there's probably no POTUS that would ever satisfy a certain section of that group unless he withdrew recognation of Israel as a whole or engaged into rabid anti-semitism. The power and leverage any US govt has over Israel is limited. And lastly, there are many more horrible conflicts going on... in Ukraine, in Africa, Latin America, you name it. Then why aren't we seeing the same passion there?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 09:20:25 AM »

None of the people he's talking to know who he is, nor were they even alive the last time he was politically relevant. Regardless of whether or not I agree with the sentiment, I detest the messenger and I demand an indefinite moratorium on all James Carville-related threads.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 09:50:44 AM »

MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 10:02:21 AM »

He’s right
dspNY
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 10:31:03 AM »

Carville is a freedom fighter!
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 10:36:57 AM »

GeneralMcArthur approves
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 10:39:46 AM »

loser
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 10:46:39 AM »

It's time for Carville to be put out to pasture. 

The problem is that Democrat's campaign message is essentially that Trump is so dangerous, so onerous to our "democracy" that Biden is the only responsible choice.  That isn't going to resonate with 26-year-olds, who were 17 when Trump famously rode down his escalator.  This is normal to them.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:46:57 AM »

This is me at 30.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 10:50:46 AM »

Yeah I kind of have to agree with him here.

If you're a leftist who claims to support things like LGBTQ rights, abortion right, climate change, reduced inequality, ect, ect, and are not voting for Biden because of Gaza, that seems like a very self-destructive strategy and is frankly quite privileged as by your own logic are putting people in marginalized groups, people who rely on Obamacare, and women who may need abortions at risk because of your political purity tests.

It's not even like Trump is going to be any better on the Gaza issue for you; he'd only be worse.

If you're a self-proclaimed leftish who refuses to vote because of Gaza, I will question whether you actually hold lefty values or just are an angry virtue signaler.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »

People will always vote with their pockets. Currently mostly Americans are feeling financially burdened. And they blame Biden for it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 11:08:57 AM »

If you're a leftist who claims to support things like LGBTQ rights, abortion right, climate change, reduced inequality, ect, ect, and are not voting for Biden because of Gaza, that seems like a very self-destructive strategy and is frankly quite privileged as by your own logic are putting people in marginalized groups, people who rely on Obamacare, and women who may need abortions at risk because of your political purity tests.

It's not even like Trump is going to be any better on the Gaza issue for you; he'd only be worse.

If you're a self-proclaimed leftish who refuses to vote because of Gaza, I will question whether you actually hold lefty values or just are an angry virtue signaler.

You don't understand what "left-wing" sentiment is if you take this position.

Progressivism is inherently about challenging the status-quo.  Biden is an incrementalist, and not just on Gaza but also on all the other issues you named (i.e., abortion, LGBTQ, student loans, etc.)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 11:25:04 AM »

Progressivism is inherently about challenging the status-quo.  Biden is an incrementalist, and not just on Gaza but also on all the other issues you named (i.e., abortion, LGBTQ, student loans, etc.)

Sure but he's clearly superior to Trump and a lot of the reason he hasn't been able to go further on some of these issues (i.e. student loans) is because of congressional and judicial constraints. Biden clearly wanted to go further on student loans for instance but he was stopped by the Supreme Court - if you're upset with Biden there you should be blaming the court and not Biden (sidenote I'm not a huge believer in mass-student loan forgiveness, but still).

Take abortion; under Biden, there's a good chance some sort of federal protection will be passed if he has a favorable congress. However, under Trump you risk some sort of national ban. Even if you wished Biden would go further, these are not equivalent outcomes if you're strongly pro-choice.

The progressive strategy of all or nothing is really really dumb - other than violent wars and revolutions, change is almost always incremental but can still move in the right direction and can happen faster than many expect. This is what the pro-life movement realized and a large part of the reason they were ultimately successful in getting Roe overturned.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 11:30:16 AM »

Sure but he's clearly superior to Trump and a lot of the reason he hasn't been able to go further on some of these issues (i.e. student loans) is because of congressional and judicial constraints. Biden clearly wanted to go further on student loans for instance but he was stopped by the Supreme Court - if you're upset with Biden there you should be blaming the court and not Biden (sidenote I'm not a huge believer in mass-student loan forgiveness, but still).

Take abortion; under Biden, there's a good chance some sort of federal protection will be passed if he has a favorable congress. However, under Trump you risk some sort of national ban. Even if you wished Biden would go further, these are not equivalent outcomes if you're strongly pro-choice.

The progressive strategy of all or nothing is really really dumb - other than violent wars and revolutions, change is almost always incremental but can still move in the right direction and can happen faster than many expect. This is what the pro-life movement realized and a large part of the reason they were ultimately successful in getting Roe overturned.

They don't care. Leftists want everything they want to happen right now. They don't celebrate progress, they don't want progress, and they'll happily take nothing instead. They want other people to suffer for not agreeing with them 100%. That's why they're trashing all these campuses right now. So they're fine with Trump, or the next Dubya, or whoever else winning and taking away more of our rights. Replacing gainfully employed laborers with this trash was always going to be a nightmare for the Democratic Party.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 11:33:37 AM »

They don't care. Leftists want everything they want to happen right now. They don't celebrate progress, they don't want progress, and they'll happily take nothing instead. They want other people to suffer for not agreeing with them 100%. That's why they're trashing all these campuses right now. So they're fine with Trump, or the next Dubya, or whoever else winning and taking away more of our rights. Replacing gainfully employed laborers with this trash was always going to be a nightmare for the Democratic Party.

That's their problem then. If progressives don't vote, their policies won't become reality, and I'm personally fine with that. That's literally such a self-destructive ideology.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 11:41:49 AM »

That's their problem then. If progressives don't vote, their policies won't become reality, and I'm personally fine with that. That's literally such a self-destructive ideology.

I know, I'm well aware of this. That's why I am always begging Democrats and liberals to stop allying with these people. Everybody hates them. They don't vote. They're not even cool like the hippy rock stars were. They're worthless. Why throw away elections for these people?
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 11:53:51 AM »

He’s absolutely right. I can’t stand how shortsighted and uneducated my generation is.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 12:21:58 PM »

I know, I'm well aware of this. That's why I am always begging Democrats and liberals to stop allying with these people. Everybody hates them. They don't vote. They're not even cool like the hippy rock stars were. They're worthless. Why throw away elections for these people?

Agree; I think the bigger concern is previous/current Dem voters falling for this sort of stuff. In many ways feels like Trumpism/populism on the left of burn it all down mentality, which I am strongly against.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 12:22:57 PM »

It's Kennedy for me.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2024, 01:13:42 PM »

Is he actually talking about young voters or is he talking about young non-voters?
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 01:17:26 PM »

I'm a proud 25-year old -- soon to be 26 year-old -- who voted for Joe Biden in 2020 and now won't vote in 2024 because I am not interested in this election.

This old fossil can sniff my asshole
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2024, 02:41:45 PM »

You're still getting it wrong.  A progressive/left-winger isn't somewhat who is simply more liberal than other liberals. The left-wing aspires to challenge the status-quo and pursue systemic change rooted in Marxist principles.  They see capitalism as inherently flawed and want to completely dismantle it; does Joe Biden?  Pushing Democrats' liberal agenda only further entrenches capitalism and the inherent inequalities it creates. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2024, 02:46:03 PM »

The issue is these young "progressives" seem intent to cut off their nose to spite their face. In 2016, many threw a tantrum that Bernie wasn't nominated and either stayed home or voted for Trump, and now they are the same ones protesting abortion bans, LGBTQ+ rights, and climate change which are a result of the Trump presidency.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2024, 02:49:16 PM »

Getting angry and ranting doesn't make anyone change their mind. The strategy has to be to lay out what is at stake in a way that resonates with young votes. This isn't about single issues or policy anymore, it's about having a democratically functioning country. Under Trump protests wouldn't be allowed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies