UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:38:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 254004 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

I'm wondering about UKIP supporters.  In 2005, the party won 2.2% of the vote, and I believe there were some seats without UKIP candidates.  In a close election, where a few seats might give or take away a Tory majority, I wonder if some potential UKIP supporters in some marginal seats might vote Tory instead. I'm guessing that of the big three parties the Tories would be closer to UKIP than the others. 
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1201 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

Now it seems less than 30 constituencies will start counting Friday morning. Sunderland Central now counting Thursday so may be first to declare.

I doubt that.  There are local elections in Sunderland this time so they will have to spend some extra time separating the general and local ballot papers.

My suspicion is that Torbay or one of the Hamilton seats will declare first.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1202 on: April 14, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »

I wonder if this'll gain any traction.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/04/15/david-cameron-embarrassed-by-his-gushing-praise-of-gordon-brown-as-awesome-115875-22186713/
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1203 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »

I'm wondering about UKIP supporters.  In 2005, the party won 2.2% of the vote, and I believe there were some seats without UKIP candidates.  In a close election, where a few seats might give or take away a Tory majority, I wonder if some potential UKIP supporters in some marginal seats might vote Tory instead. I'm guessing that of the big three parties the Tories would be closer to UKIP than the others. 

There really aren't too many real UKIP supporters, AFAIK. Most are Tory protest voters.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1204 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:07 AM »

There really aren't too many real UKIP supporters, AFAIK. Most are Tory protest voters.

Not necessarily true. Look at the pattern of UKIP support in the Euros. Look at Hull....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1205 on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:56 AM »

I suppose there's likely to be a difference in UKIP support in European and General Elections. Though, yeah, all you can really say about UKIP support in the former is that they are white protest voters. Some very odd patterns in some areas, actually.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1206 on: April 15, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »

Tory protest and middle/upper-class Labour protest votes or the working class who aren't racist enough to vote BNP.
rob in cal
« Reply #1207 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48:24 AM »

I don't want to take away interest in the Atlas Forum, but are there any good political forums in Britain focusing on the upcoming elections? 
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1208 on: April 16, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good lord. Squinting
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1209 on: April 16, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »

Surprise
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1210 on: April 16, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2010, 04:37:16 PM by A Future Fair For All »

I think it's safe to say that neither Labour nor Conservative will agree to a debate at the next election.

I'd love to be inside Labour or Conservative HQ at this moment. Must be utter melt-down.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1211 on: April 16, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »

Breaking news: Nokia flys out of Labour campaign bus window.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1212 on: April 16, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »

May I just say; I have no idea what the hell is going on now. All I can recommend is that Labour and the Tories call a truce for the next week!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1213 on: April 16, 2010, 06:16:38 PM »

I think it's safe to say that neither Labour nor Conservative will agree to a debate at the next election.

I'd love to be inside Labour or Conservative HQ at this moment. Must be utter melt-down.

Ah, to be a fly on the wall... and hear the panicking in both.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1214 on: April 16, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2010, 06:27:14 PM by A Future Fair For All »

May I just say; I have no idea what the hell is going on now. All I can recommend is that Labour and the Tories call a truce for the next week!

I concur. Both parties stand to lose alot from a surging LibDem party. David Cameron could go down in history as a bigger loser than Neil Kinnock and then be stabbed in the back by the Conservative powers-that-be and Gordon Brown stands to become Labour's Lloyd George.

I'd much rather see a Tory majority, even of 100 seats or some landslide like that, than a Labour Party in third place.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1215 on: April 16, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »

You're overreacting just a little, don't you think?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1216 on: April 16, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »

You're overreacting just a little, don't you think?

Yes. I probably am. Tongue
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1217 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »

If Labour do end up coming in third place, and getting the biggest number of seats in a hung parliament, we would have the very definition of a constitutional crisis.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1218 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »

I am confident at the moment that the Tories will be the largest party. If the polls revert back to something broadly similar I think that with a 6 or 7pt lead over Labour and the Lib Dems back in the early 20's they will win a majority.

It may even be possible that if the gap is 6/7 between the Tories and Labour with the Lib Dems inbetween that the Tories could win comfortably. Or not. Or Nick Clegg could ascend into heaven. Who knows.

If it stays like this all the models as bad as they were to start off with will have to be chucked....or I will be studying the 1979 and 1983 elections very carefully.....
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1219 on: April 16, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »

I'd much rather see a Tory majority, even of 100 seats or some landslide like that, than a Labour Party in third place.

What do you mean 3rd place? The charming electoral system surely means that numbers such as these still leave the LibDems dwarfed by both Tories and Labour.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1220 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

If Labour do end up coming in third place, and getting the biggest number of seats in a hung parliament, we would have the very definition of a constitutional crisis.

Quite. If Labour need the Lib Dems the Libs will only do so if they rush through an STV bill ASAP. Oh and ditch Brown. If the Lib Dems accept then they are probably f-cked as a party in the polls, the coalition will dissolve after 18 months and we'll have another election.

If that is the case Cameron won't be leading them. Step forward Michael Gove.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1221 on: April 16, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

I am confident at the moment that the Tories will be the largest party. If the polls revert back to something broadly similar I think that with a 6 or 7pt lead over Labour and the Lib Dems back in the early 20's they will win a majority.

It may even be possible that if the gap is 6/7 between the Tories and Labour with the Lib Dems inbetween that the Tories could win comfortably. Or not. Or Nick Clegg could ascend into heaven. Who knows.

If it stays like this all the models as bad as they were to start off with will have to be chucked....or I will be studying the 1979 and 1983 elections very carefully.....

According to Anthony Wells, the UNS was pretty accurate in 1983. The Tories had a bigger lead of course, but still....
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1222 on: April 16, 2010, 06:36:49 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2010, 06:42:22 PM by A Future Fair For All »

What do you mean 3rd place? The charming electoral system surely means that numbers such as these still leave the LibDems dwarfed by both Tories and Labour.

I know that. But the collapse in popular support with a third place finish would lead to quite a few MPs defecting to the LibDems, I think, certainly some of of these backbenchers who've been trying to get rid of Brown since he became PM. Should there be a mass defection (like in the 80s with the SDP), confidence in the party is (even further) lost.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1223 on: April 16, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »

I know that. But the collapse popular support, and a third place finish would lead to quite a few MPs defecting to the LibDems, I think, certainly some of of these backbenchers who've been trying to get rid of Brown since he became PM. Should there be a mass defection (like in the 80s with the SDP), confidence in the party is (even further) lost.

Remember 1983, man.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1224 on: April 16, 2010, 06:58:42 PM »

I think that discussing potential constitutional crises and the collapse of the party system as we know it off the back of a poll conducted immediately after the first debate of this kind in the U.K is, as Xahar rightly pointed out, perhaps over-reacting a tad. It is, after all, after midnight and probably none of us is thinking especially clearly Smiley

There are two things that we need to keep in mind. The first is that we will almost certainly see many more bizarre polls and weirdly steep poll movements over the next couple of weeks (many will be caused simply by MoE and unavoidable sampling errors) and if we reacted to all of them in this way... well, yeah. The second is that it is highly unlikely that anything major has shifted under the surface. Swing voters... well... swing, you know. And respond to 'events' in a way that 'normal' voters don't - something that feeds neatly into the first point. There are two more debates to come and the newspapers will now give more attention to the LibDems. Both of those things lead into the first point as well, of course Grin

Shorter Al: get some sleep Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies