Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:57:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus  (Read 6129 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2024, 02:58:29 PM »
« edited: April 25, 2024, 03:06:17 PM by Storr »

Will these protests spill outside of college campuses and become full-fledged riots? Seems fitting as we are closing in on four years since the George Floyd protests.

This could age like milk, but I don't think so. Think about what has caused American protests/riots in the past: implementation of a military draft in the middle of a civil war, labor rights, the war in Vietnam, police brutality.

Israel/Gaza is too niche of an issue for full-fledged riots to break out. American soldiers aren't dying in Gaza and unarmed American civilians aren't being killed by the IDF. The death and destruction in Gaza is too distant for most Americans to care, much less start a riot over.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2024, 03:12:43 PM »

Will these protests spill outside of college campuses and become full-fledged riots? Seems fitting as we are closing in on four years since the George Floyd protests.

This could age like milk, but I don't think so. Think about what has caused American protests/riots in the past: implementation of a military draft in the middle of a civil war, labor rights, the war in Vietnam, police brutality.

Israel/Gaza is too niche of an issue for full-fledged riots to break out. American soldiers aren't dying in Gaza and unarmed American civilians aren't being killed by the IDF. The death and destruction in Gaza is too distant for most Americans to care, much less start a riot over.

I don't disagree, but this is far too narrow of a list. For example, the Astor Place riots left 30 people dead over "a dispute between Edwin Forrest, one of the best-known American actors of that time, and William Charles Macready, a similarly notable English actor, which largely revolved around which of them was better than the other at acting the major roles of Shakespeare."
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2024, 04:19:33 PM »

I'm much more worried about a terror attack than I am mass riots. Tens of thousands of rioters destroying cities? Not likely. A few dozen super-radicalized members of these mobs spilling out and attacking a synagogue or media outlet? Definitely a concern.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2024, 04:53:36 PM »

I don't disagree, but this is far too narrow of a list. For example, the Astor Place riots left 30 people dead over "a dispute between Edwin Forrest, one of the best-known American actors of that time, and William Charles Macready, a similarly notable English actor, which largely revolved around which of them was better than the other at acting the major roles of Shakespeare."
The Age of Jackson was a wild time.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2024, 05:00:01 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 05:03:47 PM by Farmlands »

Also, I think the crowd's reaction (or lack thereof) in this clip captures the feelings of 99% of people.

The person whose tweet you are posting is a Holocaust denier.

The account has also posted about how no adult in Israel should be seen as a civilian, or non-combatant, because they all undergo mandatory military training, even if they don't really want to.

I get not approving of Israel's conduct during this conflict as a Jewish person, but this goes way beyond that. Though saying what exactly counts as a personal attack on Atlas, so I'll refrain from it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2024, 08:18:03 PM »

In general, protests are useful to the extent that they do one of the following:

(1) Raise awareness of a low-salience issue

(2) Pursuade neutral/indifferent people to the protestors' cause or perhaps even win over opponents of the protestors' cause

(3) Convince decisionmakers to meet some or all of the protestors' tangible demands

It's not clear to me how the protests at Columbia (or any other US university) are accomplishing any of those things.

(1) We all already know about Gaza and we all already know about the Hamas attacks.

(2) Absolutely nobody's mind is being changed by any of this. To the extent that the protests have been annoying or disruptive (especially things like blocking highways and making people sit in traffic and be late for work) if anything it has just made them view the issue more negatively than they otherwise would

(3) What do these people even want? Would the Columbia board of trustees passing a resolution calling for a "ceasefire now" meaningfully help anyone in Gaza? Does attacking and embarrassing an Arab-American university president improve things for Arabs or Muslims in America?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2024, 09:26:36 PM »

He's right as well. TX has massive issues with anti BDS legislation .
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2024, 09:37:37 PM »

Yeah, in both cases he's massively overreaching more to show his own power than anything.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2024, 11:21:21 PM »

Greg Abbott is a dick news at 11
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2024, 02:05:14 AM »

Also, I think the crowd's reaction (or lack thereof) in this clip captures the feelings of 99% of people.

The person whose tweet you are posting is a Holocaust denier.

Gross, though this was my first (and will now be my last) interaction with that account.

It was a repost in itself (the guy deleted it after realizing he humiliated his wife by putting it up), I just thought her response was apt. The woman in the video walked into the middle of the Harvard encampment wearing a white shirt that said "JEW" on it in big blue letters, no one cared, and she looked stupid.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2024, 02:15:29 AM »

Although I think for fall, if the Jewish students feel uncomfortable attending campus the universities should offer and allow them to take online classes so they can still get their education. This will allow both sides to learn without further fear of conflict escalation.

No one should be segregated out of class. Students should be able to tolerate each other and many need to grow a thicker skin.

Paul Kessler didn't need thicker skin, he needed a thicker skull to protect him from the brute who murdered him.

The path being laid out for Jewish students is clear - be silent, be afraid, and you'll be allowed to live in peace until you're not. Speak up and the mob will decide your fate. Needless to say, these terms are unacceptable.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was a student killed during a Kantian ethics taught through Beyonce's music class in room 304
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2024, 07:46:00 AM »

47% of Voting Americans Right Now

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5PGRuDRnIg/

This disaster is playing out perfectly for Trump.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2024, 07:49:52 AM »

Trump didn’t get 47% of the vote in 2016.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2024, 08:12:20 AM »

Although I think for fall, if the Jewish students feel uncomfortable attending campus the universities should offer and allow them to take online classes so they can still get their education. This will allow both sides to learn without further fear of conflict escalation.

No one should be segregated out of class. Students should be able to tolerate each other and many need to grow a thicker skin.

Paul Kessler didn't need thicker skin, he needed a thicker skull to protect him from the brute who murdered him.

The path being laid out for Jewish students is clear - be silent, be afraid, and you'll be allowed to live in peace until you're not. Speak up and the mob will decide your fate. Needless to say, these terms are unacceptable.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was a student killed during a Kantian ethics taught through Beyonce's music class in room 304

No, he was a peaceful counterprotestor murdered by a violent mob just like the one boasting that "Zionists don't deserve to live" on a major college campus right now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2024, 08:16:10 AM »

In general, protests are useful to the extent that they do one of the following:

(1) Raise awareness of a low-salience issue

(2) Pursuade neutral/indifferent people to the protestors' cause or perhaps even win over opponents of the protestors' cause

(3) Convince decisionmakers to meet some or all of the protestors' tangible demands

It's not clear to me how the protests at Columbia (or any other US university) are accomplishing any of those things.

(1) We all already know about Gaza and we all already know about the Hamas attacks.

(2) Absolutely nobody's mind is being changed by any of this. To the extent that the protests have been annoying or disruptive (especially things like blocking highways and making people sit in traffic and be late for work) if anything it has just made them view the issue more negatively than they otherwise would

(3) What do these people even want? Would the Columbia board of trustees passing a resolution calling for a "ceasefire now" meaningfully help anyone in Gaza? Does attacking and embarrassing an Arab-American university president improve things for Arabs or Muslims in America?

Regarding (3) iirc they're asking for the university to divest from companies that do business with the IDF in some way or other. What that means concretely I have no idea (frankly the idea of universities having investments of any kind feels like a sick joke and a symptom of everything wrong with higher education in the US, but I digress) but that doesn't seem like such an unreasonable ask per se. Of course they're still doing a sh*t job advocating for ti.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2024, 08:17:33 AM »

Trump didn’t get 47% of the vote in 2016.

I only researched 2020 thinking that must have been lower than 2016.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2024, 08:34:07 AM »

They're all peaceful, right?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2024, 08:43:38 AM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2024, 12:15:35 PM »

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #244 on: April 26, 2024, 12:27:29 PM »

This was a particularly brutal overreaction for anyone who cares to look into it; and most of the students are convinced Abbott just wanted to make an example of 'liberal Austin' by sending in the guard from the few I've seen speak on it in different places online.

Good to see, they obviously did nothing wrong.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2024, 12:31:16 PM »

This was a particularly brutal overreaction for anyone who cares to look into it; and most of the students are convinced Abbott just wanted to make an example of 'liberal Austin' by sending in the guard from the few I've seen speak on it in different places online.

This was a wildly different case from all the other campus crackdowns, because it seems it was A) decided largely without coordinating with the campus and B) directly based on speech, not conduct. Same playbook as what Abbott has been doing on the border.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2024, 01:11:37 PM »

This was a wildly different case from all the other campus crackdowns, because it seems it was A) decided largely without coordinating with the campus and B) directly based on speech, not conduct. Same playbook as what Abbott has been doing on the border.

Greg Abbott is an idiot.

I know liberals love to say this about any Republican governor they dislike, and it's usually total hyperbole.  But I think Abbott really does see himself as this authoritarian, and longs for opportunities to defy the Biden administration and federal law so he can abuse his power to punish ideological opponents or make an ideological point.  We've seen it repeatedly.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #247 on: April 26, 2024, 01:36:19 PM »

Abbott is a moron. The protesters were losing the PR war very badly, why would he go out of his way to make them look somewhat sympathetic by overreacting?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2024, 05:20:41 PM »

It is actually never 'reasonable or necessary' force when you are arresting peacefully protesting students sitting on a lawn.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2024, 08:38:26 PM »

This brings up a question I have seen come up occasionally on this forum, and seems especially timely: where do Jewish voters go now?  On pretty much any other issue, they can be counted on to be stalwart Democrats, but with the party likely to become more sympathetic to the Palestinian cause as newer generations replace their elders (and perhaps with a greater Muslim influence), where does that leave the Jewish electorate?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies