Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:48:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus  (Read 6588 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2024, 10:06:07 PM »

Imagine a Christian Dominionist presenting himself as the protector of Jewish students, or anyone outside his extremely fundamentalist and radical faith strain. It's disgusting.

And furthermore: Why should any institution of higher learning be invested in the arms industry? Seems like a fairly simple ask to me, aside from the appeals to tradition.

Seeing these protests spread is renewing a lot of my faith in the youth of this country. Time and again, students are on the right side. Goon squad is already deployed to the University of Texas in Austin rn and watching video is horrible.

1. The Christian Zionism movement is not supported by most mainstream Christian denominations, conservative or liberal.

Catholics, Lutherans Missouri Synod, Presbyterian Church in America, do not endorse Christian Zionism at all.

It's a remnant of the Baptist/Pentecostal Strain in American religious life.

2. Counterpoint : By this measure, we are ALL complicit in genocide, and the arms industry. All of us. All of our 401ks. The pension funds. Teacher pensions in California probably invest in something related to Israel and bombs and arms.

Are we going to make Calstrs divest ? I don't know. Maybe we should.

3. Hot Take : Alot of these youths will shift Conservative in the next 20 years, once they get jobs, and start making moolah. It's what happened with the Vietnam War Protesters. They all voted for Reagan in 1980 and 1984.....
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2024, 10:09:49 PM »

Can I also note that at this point the protests at Columbia are clearly NOT in favor of a ceasefire? I don't see how one could argue the slogans being chanted I noted above are pro-ceasefire.

I doubt most young people, know what a ceasefire should or will look like at all.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2024, 10:11:10 PM »

Imagine a Christian Dominionist presenting himself as the protector of Jewish students, or anyone outside his extremely fundamentalist and radical faith strain. It's disgusting.

And furthermore: Why should any institution of higher learning be invested in the arms industry? Seems like a fairly simple ask to me, aside from the appeals to tradition.

Seeing these protests spread is renewing a lot of my faith in the youth of this country. Time and again, students are on the right side. Goon squad is already deployed to the University of Texas in Austin rn and watching video is horrible.

3. Hot Take : Alot of these youths will shift Conservative in the next 20 years, once they get jobs, and start making moolah. It's what happened with the Vietnam War Protesters. They all voted for Reagan in 1980 and 1984.....

Most boomers weren't hippies and most hippies did not become Republican. There have been multiple stories recently about how the expected "conservatization" of millennials as they got older isn't happening. That's because boomers didn't become conservative as they aged. They were always conservative. Millennials and Zoomers aren't going to change/lose their values when they get older. Most people don't.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2024, 10:13:54 PM »

Jewish professor at Columbia speaks on the protests, I'll wait for our resident 'That's anti-semitism!' experts to start with the 'Kapo' and other vile insults.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2024, 10:24:38 PM »

These students should be suspended for 6 Months . It’s time to actually punish people responsible for shutting the university down and punish them hard .

If they are seniors , turns out they miss graduation this year
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2024, 10:26:57 PM »

Jewish professor at Columbia speaks on the protests, I'll wait for our resident 'That's anti-semitism!' experts to start with the 'Kapo' and other vile insults.

I know a good guy who was an academic administrator for years at many community colleges and Universities, and I was talking to him about this and he said that, Universities need to have accountability, and should not be afraid of enforcing rules that allow a " true academic freedom " as he said, to flourish. Because in his view, there is a difference between academic freedom, and mere chaos. And in an exchange of ideas, progress doesn't happen by shouting. It starts by... listening.

And to use one of Pope Francis's favorite words " Synodality ". To collaborate and Discern. Perhaps we might need that Synodality for the situation we are in now.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:34 PM »

These students should be suspended for 6 Months . It’s time to actually punish people responsible for shutting the university down and punish them hard .

That's certainly going to make college students become zionist now /s
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2024, 10:30:15 PM »

That's going to make them more inflamed and angry, and feed into the narrative that the establishment is hiding the truth about Israel and Gaza.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2024, 10:31:55 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 01:31:01 AM by OSR stands with Israel »

That's going to make them more inflamed and angry, and feed into the narrative that the establishment is hiding the truth about Israel and Gaza.

Who cares , let them be angry . People who shut down the university like this need to know they will be punished severely for their actions and frankly the national guard should be send in to break these “peaceful protests” up and arrest many of these jihadi apologist scumbags
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2024, 10:33:08 PM »

Although I think for fall, if the Jewish students feel uncomfortable attending campus the universities should offer and allow them to take online classes so they can still get their education. This will allow both sides to learn without further fear of conflict escalation.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2024, 10:36:15 PM »

Who cares , let them be angry . People who shut down the university like this need to know they will be punished severely for their actions and frankly the national guard should be send in to break these “peaceful protests” up and arrest many of these jihadi loving scumbags

If colleges did the same thing to " right wing " protesters, you would cry foul. You know it. I know it.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2024, 10:48:30 PM »

Although I think for fall, if the Jewish students feel uncomfortable attending campus the universities should offer and allow them to take online classes so they can still get their education. This will allow both sides to learn without further fear of conflict escalation.
Or maybe y'all should stop being antisemitic lunatics who defend calls for mass murder and genocide.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2024, 10:58:57 PM »

No one should be segregated out of class. Students should be able to tolerate each other and many need to grow a thicker skin.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2024, 10:59:39 PM »

Who cares , let them be angry . People who shut down the university like this need to know they will be punished severely for their actions and frankly the national guard should be send in to break these “peaceful protests” up and arrest many of these jihadi loving scumbags

If colleges did the same thing to " right wing " protesters, you would cry foul. You know it. I know it.

When did right wing protestors shut down universities like this . Stop with the false equivalency.

Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2024, 11:00:54 PM »

When did right wing protestors shut down universities like this . Stop with the false equivalency.

Uhhh, right wing protesters shut down a city and you supported them.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2024, 11:02:08 PM »

And shut down the literal counting of the electoral college votes 3 years ago.... I remember that clearly.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2024, 11:05:13 PM »

And shut down the literal counting of the electoral college votes 3 years ago.... I remember that clearly.

Yes and the Capitol rioters are correctly in prison . Amazing to see the whataboutism though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2024, 11:08:59 PM »

Most boomers weren't hippies and most hippies did not become Republican. There have been multiple stories recently about how the expected "conservatization" of millennials as they got older isn't happening. That's because boomers didn't become conservative as they aged. They were always conservative. Millennials and Zoomers aren't going to change/lose their values when they get older. Most people don't.

Except Millennials did move right . Just look at how voters in their mid to late 30s voted in 2020 compared to how 18-29 year olds voted in 2008.

You see a huge shift to the right
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2024, 11:12:10 PM »

Yes and the Capitol rioters are correctly in prison . Amazing to see the whataboutism though.

And your party refused to investigate them ! Only Under Biden's leadership, had the process ever got going on investigating these people.

Also, please, please don't test me. I have no sympathy for these protesters and I consider them to be fake supporters of Palestine. There's a difference between supporting Palestine and creating chaos for the heck of it.  If you want the honest truth, I would rather see these Protesters be treated as Singapore treats anyone who violates the law. Corporal punishment.  I have no wild naive notions of these protests.

Call me harsh. Call me tyrannical. But, true academic freedom is not the same as chaos for the sake of it. That's what these people are looking for. They don't care about Palestine ! They want to make chaos for the hell of it, and they're probably living off their parents's trust fund money, which ironically invests in Israeli companies probably so....

Look, I said before that I have been jaded by the modern Left, and I'm a lost democrat, a lost boy. So those are my views.

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2024, 11:13:51 PM »

Enough cops and material to arm a regiment descended on UT Austin today, including helicopters, mounted police and riot gear.

Sick. And amazing how, in all these livestreams, I never see any of the chants or actions selectively posted by certain people here. Insanity. Apparently Texas cops can arrest students, but they can't protect them worth a damn.

As for OSR basically begging for another Kent State, do it and you'll get what you asked for. 1,000 more will rise in their place.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2024, 11:23:24 PM »

No one should be segregated out of class. Students should be able to tolerate each other and many need to grow a thicker skin.
I agree with you but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen as they seem to be wanting the government and AIPAC to rescue them. However, I still don't think they should miss out on the education they paid for if they are too afraid to attend physically.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2024, 11:24:34 PM »

Enough cops and material to arm a regiment descended on UT Austin today, including helicopters, mounted police and riot gear.

Sick. And amazing how, in all these livestreams, I never see any of the chants or actions selectively posted by certain people here.

As for OSR basically begging for another Kent State, do it and you'll get what you asked for. 1,000 more will rise in their place.

These kids's parents will probably bail them out. You might call these guys progressive, but I just see them as a bunch of wealthy elite kids, who will probably get a fine cushy job afterwards, and this won't be a mark at all on their resume.  77 percent of the University of Texas At Austin's enrollees are affluent. Imagine that for a moment.

Rich kids can afford to be idealistic. Working class kids do not.

And ironically, these kids probably have parents who probably work in and benefit from the same structures that they claim to hate ! It's called hypocrisy.

This also does not mean that I am in anyway, supportive of the current Israeli Government. I am 100 percent supportive of Palestine. But I am also 100 percent supportive of common sense. This will not achieve anything for the Palestinians, and it's performative as hell. You know it. I know it.

I am done with my rant now. But THIS is why I have been jaded with the democratic left for a while now.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2024, 11:26:48 PM »

Paul Kessler didn't need thicker skin, he needed a thicker skull to protect him from the brute who murdered him.

The path being laid out for Jewish students is clear - be silent, be afraid, and you'll be allowed to live in peace until you're not. Speak up and the mob will decide your fate. Needless to say, these terms are unacceptable.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2024, 11:30:30 PM »

Praying for the mods to nuke this thread 🙏
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2024, 11:31:55 PM »

Absolutely insane that they seriously do seem to be escalating towards the Kent State approach here. I already am not going to vote for Kathy Hochul again, but if she does send the National Guard to Columbia and the protesting students (unpleasant though I think many of them are) get hurt or worse, I might go so far as to canvass against her.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies