Biden campaign to focus on democracy/Jan 6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:40:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden campaign to focus on democracy/Jan 6
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden campaign to focus on democracy/Jan 6  (Read 1094 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2024, 01:28:08 PM »

Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 01:57:14 PM »

"Campaign to focus on democracy...will say nothing about how his party at a federal and state level both political partisans and elected officials will actively seek to keep people and groups off ballots."

I'm all for a presidential campaign based on democracy, and making greater society realize Republicans and Democrats don't give a sh*t about democracy.
Redban

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 02:04:53 PM »

I thought they'd focus on the thriving economy and safest border ever. SMH
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 02:26:56 PM »

This isn’t a winning message.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 02:27:31 PM »

Good.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 02:33:37 PM »

It worked well enough for them in 2020 and 2022. The choice certainly will become more real to voters by November.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 02:44:46 PM »

Worked in 2022. Obama's warning in the last few days of the midterm campaign really help get several Democrats over the line
Redban

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 02:46:25 PM »

It worked well enough for them in 2020 and 2022. The choice certainly will become more real to voters by November.

Voters: "Joe what are you going to do to fix the border and combat inflation?"

Biden: "muh iNsUrECtiOn"
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 03:03:54 PM »

I don't like the premise of campaign focussing on just one or two major issues. Of course, a certain number gets more difficult, but you can talk about the economy, democracy and abortion at the same time.

You can even argue and say a thriving economy needs political stability instead of autocratic tendencies and erratic leadership. Trump can point to the economy he inherited from Obama all he wants, when he was tested with a pandemic, he failed miserably.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 03:10:22 PM »

I don't like the premise of campaign focussing on just one or two major issues. Of course, a certain number gets more difficult, but you can talk about the economy, democracy and abortion at the same time.

You can even argue and say a thriving economy needs political stability instead of autocratic tendencies and erratic leadership. Trump can point to the economy he inherited from Obama all he wants, when he was tested with a pandemic, he failed miserably.

The US economy recovered from the pandemic under Trump than it did in any other western country . I am sorry but this talking point of Trump did a bad job managing the economy is not gonna work because the facts say otherwise.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 03:20:46 PM »

The US economy recovered from the pandemic under Trump than it did in any other western country . I am sorry but this talking point of Trump did a bad job managing the economy is not gonna work because the facts say otherwise.

More so under Biden though. You can easily compare where things were in January 2021 and today. Back then, there was a raging pandemic, an insurrection and the economy in much worse shape than it is today. Trump by all objective measures completely missmanaged the crisis. The pandemic itsself wasn't his fault obviously and all other countries also had a brief downturn, his leadership made things much worse nonetheless.

Biden also presides over a robust job market and more manufacturing jobs were created in his presidency, even compared to Trump before the pandemic.
GAinDC

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 03:24:21 PM »

Inflation is down significantly from its zenith in 2022 so Biden can point to progress on that.

And the border will not define this election. Republicans use it as their bogeyman every campaign cycle, the same way Dems are always scaremongering about the GOP plan for Medicare and Social Security. It animates the base but rarely moves swing voters. It's largely an abstraction for people who don't actually live in border communities.

And if Republicans still want to play that game, Biden can point to the tough immigration bill that Trump torpedoed.

Idk if Jan 6/Democracy is as relevant right now, but it sure mattered more than people realized in 2022. It's the main issue for me this year.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 03:30:06 PM »

More so under Biden though. You can easily compare where things were in January 2021 and today. Back then, there was a raging pandemic, an insurrection and the economy in much worse shape than it is today. Trump by all objective measures completely missmanaged the crisis. The pandemic itsself wasn't his fault obviously and all other countries also had a brief downturn, his leadership made things much worse nonetheless.

Biden also presides over a robust job market and more manufacturing jobs were created in his presidency, even compared to Trump before the pandemic.

Unemployment plummeted from over 14% to 6.3% by Jan 2021 so the economy was already roaring back when Biden decided to put fuel on the fire with the disastrous ARP. It’s just not 20/20 hindsight as Larry Summers pointed out that bill was a horrible bill that would cause inflation and the reaction of every democrat was to laugh that prediction of and Paul Krugman wrote that the Summers was wrong as well .

The fact is Biden owns the fact that he pushed to pass that massively and completely counterproductive stimulus as inflation would not have been anywhere near as bad as it was without that . Keep in mind that bill not only did stimulus but extended the rent freeze too which made the housing market way worse too .
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 04:05:40 PM »

It’s interesting that we’re doing the exact same discourse about this that we did in 2022, complete with learning zero lessons from what actually happened in 2022.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 04:08:14 PM »

It’s interesting that we’re doing the exact same discourse about this that we did in 2022, complete with learning zero lessons from what actually happened in 2022.

I do get the sense that Republicans are once again getting overconfident, albeit Biden’s polls are objectively worse than they are for other Democrats in Senate races.
GAinDC

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 04:10:45 PM »

I do get the sense that Republicans are once again getting overconfident, albeit Biden’s polls are objectively worse than they are for other Democrats in Senate races.

They absolutely are. But I get their excitement. This is the first time a Republican candidate has had a real lead in decades
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 04:12:31 PM »

The pandemic didn't end until after Biden became president. By definition there was no "recovery from the pandemic" under Trump, good or bad.
Redban

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 04:16:43 PM »

Inflation is down significantly from its zenith in 2022 so Biden can point to progress on that.

And the border will not define this election. Republicans use it as their bogeyman every campaign cycle, the same way Dems are always scaremongering about the GOP plan for Medicare and Social Security. It animates the base but rarely moves swing voters. It's largely an abstraction for people who don't actually live in border communities.

And if Republicans still want to play that game, Biden can point to the tough immigration bill that Trump torpedoed.

Idk if Jan 6/Democracy is as relevant right now, but it sure mattered more than people realized in 2022. It's the main issue for me this year.

Since Border policy & Bidenomics are working so well (as you claim), it seems like you'd want to run on your successes. Why even talk about J6? I thought MAGA was focused on the past and Biden only focused on the bright future.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 04:25:59 PM »

This. I'm the last person to suggest than January 6th and the GOP's anti-Constitutional drive don't matter. But the Democrats also need to make Trump and the GOP's inability to govern responsibly or effectively, and Biden's own good stewardship, while countering the "Biden is too old" narrative.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 04:29:07 PM »

This message will win Haley voters. It's a smart move.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 04:41:55 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2024, 04:45:53 PM by xavier110 »

Aside from abortion, this is his only winning/animating issue, so it makes total sense. Trump’s most venomous (and violent) faithful are huge turnoffs to wide swaths of the electorate, beyond just Dem partisans. Keeping them and Trump’s authoritarian tendencies front and center should preserve the anti-MAGA coalition.

I think Trump even has some street cred with non-white machismo males who otherwise vote D, but his fan base  is really not appetizing to those voters, and Jan 6 visuals reinforce the white hillbilly grievance tour image. We will see.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 04:48:22 PM »

Worked in 2022. Obama's warning in the last few days of the midterm campaign really help get several Democrats over the line
They lost in 2022!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 04:51:08 PM »

They lost in 2022!

Not really. They held the Senate and Republicans only won the House because DeSantis broke the law and gerrymandered the congressional map.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 05:09:05 PM »

They lost in 2022!

We won in Arizona, Michigan, and Pennsylvania (despite Republicans expecting to win all 3) and got split results in Georgia, Wisconsin, and Nevada (with again Republicans expecting to sweep all 3).

Even if Biden bleeds away GA/WI/NV, holding AZ/MI/PA should be enough to get a second term.
If we
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2024, 05:10:29 PM »

They lost in 2022!

We won in Arizona, Michigan, and Pennsylvania (despite Republicans expecting to win all 3) and got split results in Georgia, Wisconsin, and Nevada (with again Republicans expecting to sweep all 3).

Even if Biden bleeds away GA/WI/NV, holding AZ/MI/PA should be enough to get a second term.
If we

In WI the only notable Republican win was an incumbent senator narrowly winning re-election, so I think I like Biden’s odds better there than in NV/GA.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies