Do you support universal health care?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:54:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support universal health care?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you think the government should provide a national health insurance program for all Americans, even if this would require higher taxes?
Yes / Dem

No / Dem

Yes / GOP

No / GOP

Yes / Other

No / Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Do you support universal health care?  (Read 7270 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »

Kucinch is the only Presidential candidate with such a plan, and he has no chance at the nomination. Single payer seems to be the way to go.

Americans support universal health care for all Americans 64-35, and universal health care for minors 73-25.

http://www.pollingreport.com/health3.htm

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:45:30 PM »

Currently No. Open to convincing otherwise.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:50:30 PM »

The Canadian government spends less on health care per capita than the American government,  and yet their life expectancies are 2 years longer. I think there are similar statistics for every other 1st world country with universal health care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_and_American_health_care_systems_compared
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »

I think the government should just provide health insurance for everyone, to avoid the famous issues with a single-payer system.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:11:35 PM »

The Canadian government spends less on health care per capita than the American government,  and yet their life expectancies are 2 years longer. I think there are similar statistics for every other 1st world country with universal health care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_and_American_health_care_systems_compared

Without getting into the other aspects of the debate, but is it possible the longer canadian life expectancy, or the shorter american one, might be due to other things besides the form of health care (private vs. public)...ie do Americans live unhealthier life styles vs. canadians and if so, is that sufficient to explain the difference?

In other words, can we explain away the difference in life expectancy with those other factors, or must we look at private vs. public? (This is not a loaded/leading question, nor am I even sure of the answer, I don't have one)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »

Yes.  private insurance companies should be given 90 days to disband or face military takeover of their office buildings.  lower end workers for such companies (such as, secretaries) would be provided compensation.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:17:34 PM »

I've always wanted to do that to Wal-Mart.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 09:07:58 PM »

No.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »

Yes.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »

Yessir I do. The health of our peoples should be of our highest concern.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:48:54 PM »

Yessir I do. The health of our peoples should be of our highest concern.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2007, 01:35:01 AM by NDN »

No. I do think that there needs to be more health coverage. But I'm extremely concerned with the costs of a hypothetical single-payer or social pay system. Let's face it, even if we cut costs in half that would still mean close to 1 trillion in healthcare costs -- paid for by the government through far higher taxes. The measures the government would take to reduce those costs would almost surely result in even less personal choice, increased waiting times, etc. There needs to be a comprehensive health care plan, but I really don't think that making everyone get government paid for health care is desirable.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »

Enlighten me NDN what alternative do you have to our current system? National Health Care wouldn't necesarily be the best but our system as it is broken...
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »

Government run entities all have a problem everyone complains about: no accountability. A government program isn't doing its job? Great, throw more money at the problem!

The last thing we want to be doing is throwing more money into the healthcare system.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »

Knight:

We have multiple alternatives. We can expand medicare and medicaid, then require compulsory health insurance for everyone else (which sounds good in theory but would be complicated). We could create a government subsidized health insurance company and have people voluntarily join that. The list goes on and on.

The single payer health insurance plan a lot of dems trot out sounds nice in theory, but looking at the costs I just don't think it would be smart.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 10:10:17 PM »

The corps want national health care because it would be CHEAPER than now. You can tell our health care system is FAIL when even drastically increasing government is cheaper...
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 10:22:59 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 10:26:08 PM by NDN »

Well no, not necessarily. Overall healthcare costs would probably go down with less people rushing to the ER and driving up premiums. However, it would still result in HUGE increases in government spending and tax increases. Remember, we're talking about national health insurance here. That means the government would be paying for far more people than it does now.

As PJ O'Rourke once said "If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free."
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:31:56 PM »

True but euro countries manage it without the kind of problems we have. Then again unlike many liberals I'm willing to see reality on taxes/spending...
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 10:38:11 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 10:40:03 PM by NDN »

True but euro countries manage it without the kind of problems we have. Then again unlike many liberals I'm willing to see reality on taxes/spending...
That doesn't mean it will work here though. For starters, the size and population of the United States is far greater than almost any of them. And I agree, a lot of people on both sides are unwilling to actually pay for the policies they advocate. That's why the national debt is so obscenely high, although admittedly most of that is the neo-cons' fault (see Reagan; W. Bush).
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 10:53:39 PM »

Why not let the states experiment with solutions?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 11:00:14 PM »

Basic preventative and anti-infectious care yes, but not everything.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 11:02:34 PM »

One thing all of us(me, Ernst, Yak's hairbrust, NDN) can agree on is that we shouldn't cover things like elective surgery, erectile dysfunction medicine or free coke for cokeheads
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 11:22:55 PM »

I think the fact that the US spends more per capita on health care than Canada should be enough to convince any sane person that the universal health care is the way to go.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 12:17:03 AM »

No, emphatically.

1.considering that at-risk information is unequal, it gives means for both the insurance companies and the government to assume 'high risk' by default, so putting insurance in the hands of the government won't change this.

2.insurance companies should be able to make profits.  Profits are not evil, contrary to the majority of this board's opinion.

3.any Bill that grants this will need to be re-written and amended five years (or ballpark near future) down the road to lower quality and increase taxes.

4.If medicare were eliminated, more people could afford insurance with the income that's taken from them in taxes.

5.nothing in the United States Constitution authorizes such, although if a state wanted to implement such a policy, that'd be fine.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 01:18:29 AM »

No, emphatically.

1.considering that at-risk information is unequal, it gives means for both the insurance companies and the government to assume 'high risk' by default, so putting insurance in the hands of the government won't change this.

I have no idea what that means.

2.insurance companies should be able to make profits.  Profits are not evil, contrary to the majority of this board's opinion.

I don't think profits are evil, but they should be subject to taxes so that government can have the resources to provide the public with services that private industry won't build.

3.any Bill that grants this will need to be re-written and amended five years (or ballpark near future) down the road to lower quality and increase taxes.

That makes no sense.

4.If medicare were eliminated, more people could afford insurance with the income that's taken from them in taxes.

OMG, do you honestly believe that?

5.nothing in the United States Constitution authorizes such, although if a state wanted to implement such a policy, that'd be fine.

I'm all for states being labratories of democracy, but the federal government has to change with the times. There is a remarkable similarity between "strict constructionist's" view of the Consitution and Fundamentalists taking every word of the Bible as literal truth. A society that has laws set in stone can't advance any further.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies