Supreme Court Rules Against Texas on Border, Allows Feds to Cut Barbed Wire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:00:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court Rules Against Texas on Border, Allows Feds to Cut Barbed Wire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules Against Texas on Border, Allows Feds to Cut Barbed Wire  (Read 4748 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2024, 06:19:46 PM »

Every GOP governor but Phil Scott sides with Texas

Dark day in American history. Republicans no longer believe in basic tenets of our national identity like "the federal government has the final say over state governments." The intentional callbacks to Confederate secession ordinances are an extra layer of gross.

Look at the tweet Vosem posted . The Supreme Court didn’t order Texas to do anything

Perhaps the people who argue that Biden is immune to legal consequences and love to twist the Constitution into pretezels should give Article IV, Section 4 a good, hard look.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2024, 06:24:09 PM »

Wikipedia is pulling out the war info template for this.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2024, 06:31:34 PM »

As it should. Republicans have gotten so used to getting away with treason that the pretense they intend anything else is being torn to shreds in front of us.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2024, 07:01:30 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2024, 07:18:32 PM »

Every GOP governor but Phil Scott sides with Texas

Babe wake up, new Civil War map just dropped.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2024, 07:20:36 PM »

If Republicans really believed the "border crisis" were real and not overblown, their solution wouldn't be "do nothing for 360 days."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2024, 07:42:35 PM »

If Republicans really believed the "border crisis" were real and not overblown, their solution wouldn't be "do nothing for 360 days."

Biden is the president, he can take executive actions to secure the border . Things he can do :

- Deploy the military to the border to help secure it

- Use the DOJ to aggressively go after companies that hire illegal immigrants

- Restore the Remain in Mexico asylum policy

He can do all of these with a stroke of a pen , but he’s choosing not too
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2024, 07:53:02 PM »

Biden is the president, he can take executive actions to secure the border . Things he can do :

And so you're arguing that if the President doesn't do what you want him to, it is just, moral, and lawful for state Governors to unilaterally ignore the Constitution and abrogate federal powers to themselves? Or is it only when the governor doing it has an (R) after their name? Or just when they're trying to kill non-Aryan people? Both?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2024, 07:54:20 PM »

And so you're arguing that if the President doesn't do what you want him to, it is just, moral, and lawful for state Governors to unilaterally ignore the Constitution and abrogate federal powers to themselves? Or is it only when the governor doing it has an (R) after their name? Or just when they're trying to kill non-Aryan people? Both?

I think Texas in the wrong here and they should allow the fence to be taken down, but OSR is Indian, so be careful not to use dogwhistles like that in your posts.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2024, 07:55:43 PM »

I think Texas in the wrong here and they should allow the fence to be taken down, but OSR is Indian, so be careful not to use dogwhistles like that in your posts.

But Indians were the original "Aryans!"
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2024, 07:57:49 PM »

But Indians were the original "Aryans!"

Well it's a term that comes from early 20th century "race science" (read: eugenics) and we really should not use it. But Runeghost's post was using it in the sense of it applying to white people.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2024, 07:59:11 PM »

I am not going to BOTHSIDES this, but just a neutral observation that this is really frightening territory for the US to descend into. It indeed feels like the most divided we've been since the Civil War and that map is terrifying. I dread what could happen if either Biden or Abbott follow some of the more extreme suggestions in this thread.

I don't know what can bring this country together again but yikes, this is bad. We need to take a step back, cool off, and come to a true compromise on this issue.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2024, 08:04:22 PM »

I'm only just now catching up on this but can someone clarify for me whether I have anything wrong about this summary of the situation?

It seems to me that the Supreme Court case and the Shelby Park conflict are two separate things but that the result of the SC case may have motivated Texas to take this desperate stand on the Shelby Park issue?

Supreme Court Case

Trump started a program to send immigrants back to Mexico rather than detaining them while they waited for hearings.
Biden wanted to end this program (unclear why) and made it Department of Homeland Security policy to end it.
Texas sued and said that DHS was required to continue enforcing the Texas State Govt. version of the program.
Texas courts said yes, Supreme Court said no.  Supreme Court wins, the program is dead.

Shelby Park

Texas decided to line the Rio Grande with razor wire and put razor traps in the river to stop immigrants from crossing the river.
Biden administration ordered it removed (unclear why).
Texas National Guard refused to obey this order.
DHS agents came to Shelby Park to try to remove razor wire and Texas National Guard would not let them enter.
Greg Abbott writes a letter declaring this the start of Civil War 2, and every Republican governor shouts out their rebel yell.

Was Biden Admin trying to use Shelby Park as a facility for processing migrants and that's the connecting thread?

Has the Biden Admin actually said anything on this subject yet or is it all just a lot of sound and fury from Republicans.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2024, 08:17:41 PM »

I am not going to BOTHSIDES this, but just a neutral observation that this is really frightening territory for the US to descend into. It indeed feels like the most divided we've been since the Civil War and that map is terrifying. I dread what could happen if either Biden or Abbott follow some of the more extreme suggestions in this thread.

I don't know what can bring this country together again but yikes, this is bad. We need to take a step back, cool off, and come to a true compromise on this issue.

Like what? Letting Abbott murder half the people who cross the US-Mexico border?

Seriously, Biden and the Democrats just spent a good month trying to reach a compromise and the GOP publicly set it on fire.

The United States has been going through an incrementally-escalating series of Constitutional crises for at least a decade, while everyone who's not a Republican keeps pretending the GOP want something other than the destruction of the Constitution and the Republic they claim to revere. (They're lying about that, like they lie about almost everything.) But eventually, no matter how much everyone wishes otherwise, or tries to pretend otherwise, the pretense is going to break and we're going to be looking at a complete disaster of one sort or another. The entire premise of the current GOP is that they do not compromise.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2024, 08:37:13 PM »

Calling this treason is insane . Treason is literally defined in the constitution and no violating the supremacy clause is not in that definition.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2024, 09:05:20 PM »

Then Congress should act. It still has the ability to legislate, even though the mainstream of your party is opposed to using it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2024, 09:18:49 PM »

It seems to me the problem isn't lack of military manpower or whatever, the problem is procedural.  If you come here claiming asylum, then the federal government is required to process your claim, which currently takes months.  What happens to you during that time is the point of contention -- either you get to hang out in America in the mean time, you get sent back to your home country to wait it out, or you stay in a processing facility.

No amount of "send in the troops" or whatever is going to fix that because we're not actually stopping people from coming in at all.  As far as I can tell, people aren't swimming across the border to "sneak into the country" -- they're swimming across the border and then surrendering themselves to Border Control with a rehearsed speech that a coyote fed them that mandates the federal government detain them and process their asylum claim.

This isn't my area of expertise at all so please let me know if I got any of my facts wrong here.

With that frame in mind, I have some stupid questions that I hope someone can answer:

1) Maybe make the asylum laws easier to process?  Seems like there's a lot of loopholes and we should make it easier to just flat out reject someone's claim outright and kick them back across the border.

2) Why are so many claiming asylum in the first place, do we have really loose asylum laws or something?  I would think if less than 5% of asylum claims were granted from Latin America or whatever, then people would stop trying it in droves.

3) Regardless, we need way more funding for detention facilities, because the current situation where they're overflowing and migrants are living in camps under a freeway like the opening of Scarface is obviously untenable.

4) Texas government tactics of making the crossing super dangerous to try and deter migrants by killing them isn't helping, but I have to ask, why do we not make it such that if you enter illegally you automatically have your asylum claim rejected?  Why don't we have a bunch of gates that say "asylum processing gate" and if you have an asylum claim, you come to the gate?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2024, 10:02:01 PM »

That’s pretty much the problem our country is facing right now. We can’t do that. Whether you believe this is an organic or manufactured crisis, does anyone realistically see a wait for this to de-escalate? Not just this specific border crisis/constitutional crisis issue, but *motions to everything*
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2024, 10:19:55 PM »

It seems to me the problem isn't lack of military manpower or whatever, the problem is procedural.  If you come here claiming asylum, then the federal government is required to process your claim, which currently takes months.  What happens to you during that time is the point of contention -- either you get to hang out in America in the mean time, you get sent back to your home country to wait it out, or you stay in a processing facility.

No amount of "send in the troops" or whatever is going to fix that because we're not actually stopping people from coming in at all.  As far as I can tell, people aren't swimming across the border to "sneak into the country" -- they're swimming across the border and then surrendering themselves to Border Control with a rehearsed speech that a coyote fed them that mandates the federal government detain them and process their asylum claim.

This isn't my area of expertise at all so please let me know if I got any of my facts wrong here.

With that frame in mind, I have some stupid questions that I hope someone can answer:

I'll try, though I don't claim any particular expertise. If nothing else, if my answers are wrong, perhaps I'll provoke some better ones. Smiley

1) Maybe make the asylum laws easier to process?  Seems like there's a lot of loopholes and we should make it easier to just flat out reject someone's claim outright and kick them back across the border.

I agree, but Congress seems positively allergic to passing laws on this subject. (Not just now, but for decades.) As I've said elsewhere, I suspect that is because both Republican and Democratic parties see a benefit from the status quo. At a gross simplification, Democrats want to help people and see potential future voters, while Republicans want an underclass to exploit and demonize.

2) Why are so many claiming asylum in the first place, do we have really loose asylum laws or something?  I would think if less than 5% of asylum claims were granted from Latin America or whatever, then people would stop trying it in droves.

In part, under US law, we do not require refugees to seek asylum in the first (stable) country they enter, so refugees see the US as a good and viable destination. I believe the Biden-led compromise that Republicans recently turned down would have changed this.

Also, there are a lot of refugees, globally and in particular from Central America where we have not helped as we ought to have (out of self-interest, if nothing else). Personally, I think global warming is a root driver of refugees, though I know many people will not agree.

3) Regardless, we need way more funding for detention facilities, because the current situation where they're overflowing and migrants are living in camps under a freeway like the opening of Scarface is obviously untenable.

Agreed, but where is it going to come from? The GOP has been in a position to block such funding for many years now, and it's the sort of practical, needs-to-be-done thing that the Democrats too often fail to successfully communicate or implement.

4) Texas government tactics of making the crossing super dangerous to try and deter migrants by killing them isn't helping, but I have to ask, why do we not make it such that if you enter illegally you automatically have your asylum claim rejected?  Why don't we have a bunch of gates that say "asylum processing gate" and if you have an asylum claim, you come to the gate?

My understanding is that would require a change to existing law.... which again, Congress won't pass.

(A great many of the problems facing our country have at their root a Congress that refuses to do its job. The Democrats are better than Republicans on this topic, but far from good. For decades, especially on immigration, both parties have preferred to avoid legislation and instead implement work-arounds by executive order.)
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2024, 10:25:01 PM »

My prediction is that Biden simply backs off this conflict. Biden backs down at every turn, fearing the start of something that will hurt him electorally.

We saw him in Iraq, where he withdrew everything after Iraq kicked him out, because he feared higher oil prices. We saw it in Yemen, where Biden could not stop them from blocking the Red Sea, because again he is too afraid of higher oil prices in an election year.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2024, 02:09:36 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2024, 02:16:28 AM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

This is what you get when you let traitors walk around unaccountable for their treason: more calls for treason.

Trump Calls for ‘All Willing States’ to Deploy National Guard Troops to Texas
Amid Texas’ spat with the federal government over razor wire along the U.S.-Mexico border, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is calling on “all willing States to deploy their [national] guards to Texas to prevent the entry of Illegals, and to remove them back across the Border.” Trump’s comments on Truth Social Thursday came a day after the Supreme Court ruled against Texas’ Republican governor and attorney general by allowing border patrol agents to remove the wire. Trump added that he would “work hand in hand” with Abbott, who has defended his controversial immigration policies by saying that “the only thing that we’re not doing is we’re not shooting people who come across the border, because of course the Biden administration would charge us with murder.”

I remember when Abbott promised to get rapists off Texas streets. Now he wants to start a civil war for one.

If there's ever another president from the "Republican Party", everyone needs to remember that Republicans say taking up arms to defy the federal government is just fine and dandy.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2024, 12:21:40 PM »

Dmitry Medvedev fantasizes about this situation causing the US to fall into civil war:

"Establishing a People's Republic of Texas is getting more and more real; something I wrote about at the end of 2022 in a jocular forecast.

The American Administration shows its total inability to cope with the migration crisis which has broken out in one of the largest US states. Its governor stopped giving even the slightest damn as to what the White House and its senile old man Biden think, and started to mend barbed wire fences. Indeed, anything will do when defending against the flow of migrants who uncontrollably cross the southern border. 
This is yet another vivid example of the US hegemony getting weaker, a process that is happening from the inside, and is the result of the Americans’ own actions.
So eagerly supporting the Kiev neonazis, and seemingly, blind to everything else, official Washington proved totally impotent in domestic policy matters.
With their inaction, these very authorities can drive the people of Texas up the wall – the very people who are even now mulling over separation.
There are known cases in history when some states tried to break away from the Union and form the Confederacy. The end result was the bloody civil war which cost thousands upon thousands of lives.
Either way, America can face an unsolvable constitutional crisis, and for long, fall into the abyss of a new, possibly even more destructive civil confrontation.
And the Western world, its breath held, will be staring at the American mess in fear. Well, it's their problem, anyway.

And even though the US trouble is fraught with great risks for the world’s stability, the rest of the world, crunching on its popcorn, is watching – not without malice – an attack of the Great Loser’s bad disease."

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2024, 12:53:21 PM »

If California can have a sanctuary state then Texas can do what they are doing . The Supreme Court basically said “we aren’t requiring Texas to do anything but the federal government can move to take action if they want” so it’s basically the same situation in reverse .

Hopefully Texas gets Biden to back down and Biden should for his reelection hopes . If Biden federalizes the guard than his re-election chances will drop even further
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2024, 12:59:02 PM »

If California can have a sanctuary state then Texas can do what they are doing . The Supreme Court basically said “we aren’t requiring Texas to do anything but the federal government can move to take action if they want” so it’s basically the same situation in reverse .

Hopefully Texas gets Biden to back down and Biden should for his reelection hopes . If Biden federalizes the guard than his re-election chances will drop even further
Massive Show of Strength yesterday as at least 25 Republican Governors signed on a Statement siding with Texas Governor Greg Abbott. This INVASION has to stop by any means neccessary.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2024, 01:02:33 PM »

I first thought this infobox was a joke.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies