Bernie Sanders says it’s ‘very hard’ for young voters to ‘be excited’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:45:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Bernie Sanders says it’s ‘very hard’ for young voters to ‘be excited’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders says it’s ‘very hard’ for young voters to ‘be excited’  (Read 2825 times)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2024, 07:05:44 PM »

Some of the Biden hacks on here are more pro-Israel than most Republicans here.

And this is why when you guys succeed in kicking moderate Dems out of the party you’ll have 36 senators, 175 reps and 15 Governors. But I’m sure the losing will be worth it! If Britain is any indication you won’t give a  **** for 12 years and then finally get it semi-together.

No one wants to kick moderate Dems out of the party. All we want is for "the hostilities to end and to have a peaceful Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza with Israeli settlements gone." You yourself just articulated that position as a sensible one. But to get there, Biden needs to show he's willing to put pressure on Netanyahu to end the hostilities and support a two state solution first.

A lot of the leftists want Israel entirely gone. The “sympathize with Palestinians” is pretty divided into 1) eliminate Israel and 2) 2 state solution with a Palestinian Gaza and WB but very critical of Netanyahu.

Unfortunately #1 is what gets the media attention and the street protests.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2024, 07:07:37 PM »

And this is why when you guys succeed in kicking moderate Dems out of the party you’ll have 36 senators, 175 reps and 15 Governors. But I’m sure the losing will be worth it! If Britain is any indication you won’t give a  **** for 12 years and then finally get it semi-together.

No one wants to kick moderate Dems out of the party. All we want is for "the hostilities to end and to have a peaceful Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza with Israeli settlements gone." You yourself just articulated that position as a sensible one. But to get there, Biden needs to show he's willing to put pressure on Netanyahu to end the hostilities and support a two state solution first.
It's complete political suicide for Netanyahu to end the war right now. The truth is, either Biden or Netanyahu (or both) are screwed politically.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2024, 07:08:46 PM »

Seriously, to hell with this "excitement" bulls***. Roe was overturned because some were "unexcited" about Clinton in 2016. A vote is not supposed to be an expression of passion, it could be, but an unenthusiastic vote is as valid as a zealous vote. And that's why I hope Americans get over this and do what they did in 2022 and 2023 again.

Excited voters drag in more unexcited voters to the polls and THAT is numbers. An unzealous, nose-holder isn't going to drag through other voters to the polls.

Also, those excited voters are why Obamacare exists. And it was that lack of excitement on the right that brought in Trump after Romney just wasn't cutting it.

2022 happened as it did because there were excited voters regarding Roe v Wade, negatively excited ones.  2014 in contrast, left Dems with very little to care about.

As for 2023, the GOP voters were unexcited for Reeves and especially for Cameron...it wasn't Dems "falling in line".
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2024, 07:12:42 PM »

You are using faulty generalization to dismiss an entire group of people with very valid concerns.

That's who the face of the pro-Palestinian movement is though. I'm not saying that everyone who supports Palestine is like this, but my point is that there are a number on the far left who want a Presidential candidate who is completely anti-Israel.

Again, you are using faulty generalization to dismiss an entire group of people with very valid concerns.

There are plenty of people who are outraged (to say the least) by Israel's conduct who aren't protesting outside Jewish falafel restaurants.

Biden needs votes.

He needs to show them that he shares their concern and is doing something about it.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2024, 07:14:37 PM »

No seriously, young voters were perfectly fine with Hillary until Berrie came in like a wrecking ball. Without him, none of this would be a problem at all.
Society hadn’t Bernard Sanders existed
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2024, 07:24:55 PM »

The people who "want a ceasefire" are people who are only trying to look #cool and #concerned on social media. They don't realize that Biden already negotiated one, which Gaza agreed to and then broke, as they always do. (They also broke one on 10/7.)

It's totally fine to want peace over there - I do too - but thinking that yet another ceasefire will end any war other than the Gazans breaking it is a sign that a person honestly doesn't know about the previous ones.

You should read it back to yourself and see how tone-deaf you are.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2024, 07:29:54 PM »

The people who "want a ceasefire" are people who are only trying to look #cool and #concerned on social media. They don't realize that Biden already negotiated one, which Gaza agreed to and then broke, as they always do. (They also broke one on 10/7.)

It's totally fine to want peace over there - I do too - but thinking that yet another ceasefire will end any war other than the Gazans breaking it is a sign that a person honestly doesn't know about the previous ones.

Biden should propose some maps and a pathway for a peaceful Palestinian state next to Israel. I don’t see any harm in that. I just don’t think it will settle the leftists hunger.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2024, 07:42:16 PM »

Biden should propose some maps and a pathway for a peaceful Palestinian state next to Israel. I don’t see any harm in that. I just don’t think it will settle the leftists hunger.

...only for Netanyahu to immediately flush it down the toilet
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2024, 08:09:20 PM »

It is though, because Biden has to keep track of all aspects of the base, and Bernie is the liaison for that. Not supposed to call a fart a rose.

And getting the right person elected means getting your comrades to arms, which works so much better when excited [negative or no]. If you miss this, you miss the point.

My point is that not every candidate is Obama and is going to inspire 2008 level excitement. The goal for Biden is to motivate people to vote for him based on the issues and his record, because that's the sort of candidate he is.

Okay now we're in Lalaland. There is not a block of antisemitic swing voters who heed what Bernard ing Sanders has to say about Joe Biden.

There are some fair antisemitic people on the far left and they aren't voting for Biden anyway. What exactly is Biden supposed to do on this issue as long as Hamas doesn't stand down? He has called out Israel's indiscriminate bombing.

You are using faulty generalization to dismiss an entire group of people with very valid concerns.

That's who the face of the pro-Palestinian movement is though. I'm not saying that everyone who supports Palestine is like this, but my point is that there are a number on the far left who want a Presidential candidate who is completely anti-Israel.
Let's pretend for a second that this is a politically relevant segment of the voting population. Is Bernie Sanders criticizing Biden from the left going to impact their vote at all?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2024, 09:08:09 PM »

In my experience, the vast majority of people who want a cease-fire are not anti-Semitic. Animus towards Jewish people does not drive their views. They make a distinction between Jewish people and the Israeli state.

It is true, some of these people are anti-Zionist, in the sense that they want a secular, democratic state without any official religious markings in which Jews, Muslims, and Christians can all live together in the "Holy Land" with each group's rights guaranteed, and that such a state would bear the name "Palestine", but even these people are a minority, and what gives the issue real resonance is the centrist moderate group that wants to see a Two-State solution and is unhappy with the amount of Gazan civilian casualties that are currently ongoing, as well as upset that Biden supports Netanyahu even though the latter has obviously no commitment towards a Two-State solution.

The real anti-Semites are on the far right. IMO, scratch a far rightist, and there is a very high chance you will find that they do not consider Jews to be white, but because Jewish people can pass as white, they consider Jews to be "spies" who use their passing to try to undermine white society. Hence why you see people like Elon Musk liking an anti-Semitic tweet. They are being dragged into the far right. These are the real anti-Semites, people who dislike Jews as such.

Great post. Antisemitism on the left is virtually non-existent in the West.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2024, 09:56:19 PM »

In my experience, the vast majority of people who want a cease-fire are not anti-Semitic. Animus towards Jewish people does not drive their views. They make a distinction between Jewish people and the Israeli state.

It is true, some of these people are anti-Zionist, in the sense that they want a secular, democratic state without any official religious markings in which Jews, Muslims, and Christians can all live together in the "Holy Land" with each group's rights guaranteed, and that such a state would bear the name "Palestine", but even these people are a minority, and what gives the issue real resonance is the centrist moderate group that wants to see a Two-State solution and is unhappy with the amount of Gazan civilian casualties that are currently ongoing, as well as upset that Biden supports Netanyahu even though the latter has obviously no commitment towards a Two-State solution.

The real anti-Semites are on the far right. IMO, scratch a far rightist, and there is a very high chance you will find that they do not consider Jews to be white, but because Jewish people can pass as white, they consider Jews to be "spies" who use their passing to try to undermine white society. Hence why you see people like Elon Musk liking an anti-Semitic tweet. They are being dragged into the far right. These are the real anti-Semites, people who dislike Jews as such.

Great post. Antisemitism on the left is virtually non-existent in the West.
That's not true. See DSA's hate rally in New York immediately after the Hamas massacre
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2024, 11:46:30 PM »

Running an aging Biden again is an almost deliberate play to reduce younger voter turnout, regardless of his position on the war in Canaan.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2024, 12:37:16 AM »

The Palestinian President last year, endorsed the Chinese genocide of Uyghur muslims.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/abbas-06152023161941.html

Look. You go to call a spade a spade.

If people are going to criticize Israel's actions, then let's call out China's very apparent actions as well.

But China is not backed by the US, so I guess that makes it good ?
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2024, 05:50:44 AM »

You don't understand the first thing about British politics.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2024, 09:57:01 AM »

The Palestinian President last year, endorsed the Chinese genocide of Uyghur muslims.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/abbas-06152023161941.html

Look. You go to call a spade a spade.

If people are going to criticize Israel's actions, then let's call out China's very apparent actions as well.

But China is not backed by the US, so I guess that makes it good ?
but but but what about… ?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2024, 02:52:18 PM »

Running an aging Biden again is an almost deliberate play to reduce younger voter turnout, regardless of his position on the war in Canaan.

No one is running Biden though. He’s the incumbent President, he’s running for re-election which is what incumbent Presidents have done since 1968, and unless there is some massive yet currently unknown enthusiasm for Dean Phillips or Marianne Williamson he’s going to be the Democratic nominee again unless he dies in which case the obvious nominee is his Vice President.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2024, 03:02:09 PM »

I used to think that Biden's age isn't a problem, but not anymore.

It is not his health that is the problem: it is that he is out of touch.

Younger voters are, of course, more sympathetic to Palestinians than older voters.

Black and Hispanic voters are also more sympathetic to Palestinians than white voters.

These are not completely separate issues: Older voters tend to be whiter while younger voters tend to be less white.

It's a double whammy.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2024, 04:09:05 PM »

Younger voters are, of course, more sympathetic to Palestinians than older voters.

Black and Hispanic voters are also more sympathetic to Palestinians than white voters.

These are not completely separate issues: Older voters tend to be whiter while younger voters tend to be less white.

It's a double whammy.

Biden's numbers with younger voters were absolute trash before October 7. But taking an anti-Israel  position would just screw him with all but 20% of Americans. More likely where these numbers are heading, it is time to ban TikTok because it is a pro-China propaganda outlet. TikTok causing unrest here is a much deeper problem than Israel opinions.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2024, 04:16:46 PM »

It's a double whammy.

Biden's numbers with younger voters were absolute trash before October 7. But taking an anti-Israel  position would just screw him with all but 20% of Americans. More likely where these numbers are heading, it is time to ban TikTok because it is a pro-China propaganda outlet. TikTok causing unrest here is a much deeper problem than Israel opinions.

I was with you for the first two sentences, but...
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2024, 04:17:46 PM »

Biden, who’s doing extremely well on American-owned social media platforms,
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2024, 04:31:49 PM »

Not really no.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2024, 04:33:00 PM »

It's a double whammy.

Stop being Israel's enabler ≠ being "anti-Israel"
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2024, 04:35:03 PM »

So you're willing to throw the country to Trump over a conflict on the other side of the planet?

I strongly dislike how Biden is approaching the conflict but I'm still gonna vote for him. Are you saying if he switched to say Bernie's position he'd lose your vote? Why?
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2024, 04:52:32 PM »

[/float]]

So you're willing to throw the country to Trump over a conflict on the other side of the planet?

I strongly dislike how Biden is approaching the conflict but I'm still gonna vote for him. Are you saying if he switched to say Bernie's position he'd lose your vote? Why?

Bernie's position no, AOC and Rashida's would make me leave the ballot blank. But switching to either position would just alienate older voters. Biden's goal is to win the 2024 election, not some hypothetical 2056.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2024, 04:58:34 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2024, 05:01:36 PM by gerritcole »

I was attending a zoom meeting on applying communist principles in day to day life and during the free talk discussion many individuals swore against voting for Biden and many were with me on the pro rfk train.

A few souls went as far as to trump is the true left wing option because he will accelerate the demise of the rotten house and Hasten the revolution, im not there yet but many interesting points were raised.

The common view that all attendees agreed upon was that the left will not be bullied into voting for biden due to 1/6, orange man, or other scare tactics. Only concrete steps towards mass government built housing, debt excused, Japanese bullet trains, etc will waver our votes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies