The event of October 7 and its aftermath can strain relationships.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:53:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The event of October 7 and its aftermath can strain relationships.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The event of October 7 and its aftermath can strain relationships.  (Read 776 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2024, 12:52:36 AM »
« edited: January 10, 2024, 12:58:31 AM by pppolitics »

I have a close friend and sometime girlfriend who is of Jewish heritage. She is a secular (not-observing) Jew. The events since Oct 7 have been very trying for both of us. She sometimes goes to Israel in the summer. That said, her heritage and Israel weren't something that we normally talked about and were non-issues.

After Oct 7, she was very angry and ghosted me, which is even worse when done in person. Anyway, we have recently started reconciling. She told me that she is horrified by the event of October 7, but even more horrified by what happened after. She told me that she doesn't want to know about anything that is going on in Israel or Gaza. She said that she needed to tune it all out to keep her sanity and advised me to do the same. "Let it go. You'll be much happier." Maybe she's right.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 12:57:07 AM »

I have a close friend and sometime girlfriend who is of Jewish heritage. She is a secular (not-observing) Jew. The events since Oct 7 have been very trying for both of us. She sometimes goes to Israel in the summer. That said, her heritage and Israel weren't something that we normally talked about and were non-issues.

After Oct 7, she was very angry and ghosted me, which is even worse when done in person. Anyway, we have recently started reconciling. She told me that she is horrified by the event of October 7, but even more horrified by what happened after. She told me that she doesn't want to know about anything that is going on in Israel or Gaza. She said that she needed to tune it all out to keep her sanity and advised me to do the same. "Let it go. You'll be much happier." Maybe she's right.
Best of luck in your personal relationships and life more broadly.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 01:51:45 AM »

FF.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 10:02:44 AM »

Show her your posts on the Israel-Gaza thread and see if she ever gives you the time of day again.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 10:03:26 AM »

You'd think literally every Jew you come in contact with both on this forum and IRL being disgusted by your stances would cause some reflection, but apparently not
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 11:59:12 AM »

You're presenting this like she ghosted you out of nowhere with no prompting, but that strains credulity. Maybe it's worth thinking more about what you said to her that led to that reaction. Seeing how a lot of leftists reacted to these events, it's hardly surprising that many Jewish people wouldn't feel comfortable with them for a while.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 01:40:33 PM »

You'd think literally every Jew you come in contact with both on this forum and IRL being disgusted by your stances would cause some reflection, but apparently not

I don't blame every Jewish person for what the Israeli government is doing.

Likewise, I don't blame every Russian person for what the Russian government is doing.

She knows full well that I don't have kind words for the Israeli government.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 01:57:09 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2024, 02:14:24 PM by pppolitics »

You're presenting this like she ghosted you out of nowhere with no prompting, but that strains credulity. Maybe it's worth thinking more about what you said to her that led to that reaction. Seeing how a lot of leftists reacted to these events, it's hardly surprising that many Jewish people wouldn't feel comfortable with them for a while.

Believe me, I do think about it quite a bit.

She said that I had been consumed by anger and became hard and brittle.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 02:16:04 PM »

As a Jew I don't think I would want a friend who fully supports a cause that wants me killed, but that's just my opinion.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 02:19:39 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2024, 02:38:47 PM by pppolitics »

As a Jew I don't think I would want a friend who fully supports a cause that wants me killed, but that's just my opinion.

You are misrepresenting my position.

I said that Palestinians who were displaced during Nakba should be compensated or allowed to return to Israel.

I didn't say anything about wanting anyone killed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 02:20:27 PM »

That's fair. That probably describes a lot of people on both sides of this issue right now. Just try to keep in mind the other side's perspective going forward. That's the best we can all do.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 02:28:56 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2024, 02:33:34 PM by pppolitics »

That's fair. That probably describes a lot of people on both sides of this issue right now. Just try to keep in mind the other side's perspective going forward. That's the best we can all do.

She told me that the same thing had happened in Israel and that so many people have been consumed by anger

...that they speak out in anger what they don't really mean.

She said that it is wrong to judge someone during his or her moment of weakness.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 02:37:05 PM »

I said that Palestinians who were displaced during Nakba should be compensated or allowed to return to Israel.

I didn't say you personally want anyone killed. I said you support a cause that does so, and this is clearly true, because this is the position of every large 'pro-Palestine' organization with power and weapons in the Middle East (Hamas, Hezbollah, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, et al), whether publicly or implicitly.

You live in a fantasy world where Palestinians will 'return' to the homes of their grandparents because of their intergenerational refugee status that only applies to them, but not Mizrahi Jews who were forced out of the Arab and Muslim world in the 1940s. That is your right to believe that. But you cannot force others to ignore the consequences of giving Palestinians in the region selective rights that Jews don't have.

People with your political ideology put next to zero effort to ensure that the rights of Jews in the Middle East are protected, even though their rights in the region are violated regularly, while reflexively believing every false fanatical claim about what Israel does ('Israel is committing apartheid, ethnic cleansing, genocide!!!').
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 02:43:34 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2024, 02:48:06 PM by pppolitics »

I didn't say you personally want anyone killed. I said you support a cause that does so, and this is clearly true, because this is the position of every large 'pro-Palestine' organization with power and weapons in the Middle East (Hamas, Hezbollah, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, et al), whether publicly or implicitly.

You live in a fantasy world where Palestinians will 'return' to the homes of their grandparents because of their intergenerational refugee status that only applies to them, but not Mizrahi Jews who were forced out of the Arab and Muslim world in the 1940s. That is your right to believe that. But you cannot force others to ignore the consequences of giving Palestinians in the region selective rights that Jews don't have.

People with your political ideology put next to zero effort to ensure that the rights of Jews in the Middle East are protected, even though their rights in the region are violated regularly, while reflexively believing every false fanatical claim about what Israel does ('Israel is committing apartheid, ethnic cleansing, genocide!!!').

I didn't say that "Palestinians will 'return' to the homes of their grandparents". I said that Palestinians displaced during Nakba (or their descendants) should be allowed to return to Israel if they choose. Whether they can find a place to live or not is another matter. Alternatively, they can give up their right to return for monetary compensation.

Also, I don't pretend that I am happy with the rights given in the Muslim world. I certainly am not.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 02:52:37 PM »

I didn't say that "Palestinians will 'return' to the homes of their grandparents". I said that they should be allowed to return to Israel if they choose. Whether they can find a place to live or not is another matter.

Also, I don't pretend that I am happy with the rights given in the Muslim world. I certainly am not.

And the Palestinians are hardly unique in not giving up their struggle for self-determination. How many people under colonial rule - because this is what Israel's rule in Palestine amounts to in practice - have given up the struggle for independence? So while one can certainly deplore Palestinian terrorism, it's preposterous to claim the Palestinians are somehow sick for not giving up their desire for self-determination.

Palestinians don’t have to give up their struggle for independence, they need to accept that they lost in 1948 and that they will not get that land back ever. If Palestinians limited their terrorism to West Bank settlers and soldiers only with the clear demand that “terrorism will only stop when you leave the West Bank” that would be one thing. But the Palestinian demand is that Israel stops existing. They need to accept that they lost in 1948 and this will not be corrected in any way. Imagine if the Algerians demanded not just that the French leave Algeria but that they also leave France. That is what Palestinians demand, and they use terrorism to pursue this fundamentally impossible goal.

Palestinians should be given Israeli citizenship as part of the amended Law of Return.

The whole point of Israel having a Jewish majority is so the country is a safe haven for Jews. If you let Palestinians become the majority, they will slaughter millions of Jews if Hamas’ behavior is any example so far. Now I know you don’t really care about what happens but a lot of people do.

Nakba is Israel's original sin.

It's time for Israel to atone by taking back the Palestinians.

If the Jewish "majority" is so afraid that the Palestinians would do to them what they are doing to the Palestinians right now, they should establish the rights of minorities right now in case they are ever in the minority.

In your previous posts you have mocked legitimate Jewish concerns about the Arabs' treatment of the Jewish population. The 'Jews should establish minority rights so they don't get killed by Palestinians' (Israel already has minority rights, discrimination based on ethnicity and religion is  already illegal in Israel, it certainly isn't illegal in the PA, Gaza and elsewhere in MENA).

Would you argue alternatively that Gaza, Lebanon, etc. should pass anti-discrimination law to protect Jews and Christians in order to avoid having their population being killed by Israel? Your right to live as a civilian depends on whether or not your government grants minority rights?

Part of the source of the conflict, which you support, is unequal refugee rights - Palestinians get intergenerational refugee status even when many of them are now citizens of Jordan, while Jews forced out of MENA don't get any refugee status. Israel has to be overwhelmed by Palestinians because they were displaced 75 years ago and grant them citizenship, while the Arab and Muslim world doesn't have to do the same thing with Jews displaced from MENA 75 years ago.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 03:07:53 PM »

I didn't say that "Palestinians will 'return' to the homes of their grandparents". I said that they should be allowed to return to Israel if they choose. Whether they can find a place to live or not is another matter.

And the Palestinians are hardly unique in not giving up their struggle for self-determination. How many people under colonial rule - because this is what Israel's rule in Palestine amounts to in practice - have given up the struggle for independence? So while one can certainly deplore Palestinian terrorism, it's preposterous to claim the Palestinians are somehow sick for not giving up their desire for self-determination.

Palestinians don’t have to give up their struggle for independence, they need to accept that they lost in 1948 and that they will not get that land back ever. If Palestinians limited their terrorism to West Bank settlers and soldiers only with the clear demand that “terrorism will only stop when you leave the West Bank” that would be one thing. But the Palestinian demand is that Israel stops existing. They need to accept that they lost in 1948 and this will not be corrected in any way. Imagine if the Algerians demanded not just that the French leave Algeria but that they also leave France. That is what Palestinians demand, and they use terrorism to pursue this fundamentally impossible goal.

Palestinians should be given Israeli citizenship as part of the amended Law of Return.

The whole point of Israel having a Jewish majority is so the country is a safe haven for Jews. If you let Palestinians become the majority, they will slaughter millions of Jews if Hamas’ behavior is any example so far. Now I know you don’t really care about what happens but a lot of people do.

If the Jewish "majority" is so afraid that the Palestinians would do to them what they are doing to the Palestinians right now, they should establish the rights of minorities right now in case they are ever in the minority.

In your previous posts you have mocked legitimate Jewish concerns about the Arabs' treatment of the Jewish population. The 'Jews should establish minority rights so they don't get killed by Palestinians' (Israel already has minority rights, discrimination based on ethnicity and religion is  already illegal in Israel, it certainly isn't illegal in the PA, Gaza and elsewhere in MENA).

Would you argue alternatively that Gaza, Lebanon, etc. should pass anti-discrimination law to protect Jews and Christians in order to avoid having their population being killed by Israel? Your right to live as a civilian depends on whether or not your government grants minority rights?

Part of the source of the conflict, which you support, is unequal refugee rights - Palestinians get intergenerational refugee status even when many of them are now citizens of Jordan, while Jews forced out of MENA don't get any refugee status. Israel has to be overwhelmed by Palestinians because they were displaced 75 years ago and grant them citizenship, while the Arab and Muslim world doesn't have to do the same thing with Jews displaced from MENA 75 years ago.

Letting millions of Palestinians return to Israel would simply result in the slaughter of Jews. This group is so radicalized and undoing this will take years. Plus, these are two different peoples with different ideas in terms of governing customs. A binational state makes zero sense.

The proper way to handle it is have the Palestinians recognize Israel in something resembling 1967 lines and in return Israel withdraws from the entire West Bank (minus the settlements right on the green line that are annexed to Israel and Israel gives comparable land in the northern or southern end of West Bank to the Palestinians). Israel should dismantle the settlements 20 miles inside the West Bank.

The point of Israel is to be a safe refuge for Jews and allowing millions of violent Arabs into its borders defeats the point.

Lastly, most societies around the world can NOT integrate different cultures and religions the way America has.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 03:22:05 PM »

Letting millions of Palestinians return to Israel would simply result in the slaughter of Jews. This group is so radicalized and undoing this will take years. Plus, these are two different peoples with different ideas in terms of governing customs. A binational state makes zero sense.

The proper way to handle it is have the Palestinians recognize Israel in something resembling 1967 lines and in return Israel withdraws from the entire West Bank (minus the settlements right on the green line that are annexed to Israel and Israel gives comparable land in the northern or southern end of West Bank to the Palestinians). Israel should dismantle the settlements 20 miles inside the West Bank.

The point of Israel is to be a safe refuge for Jews and allowing millions of violent Arabs into its borders defeats the point.

Lastly, most societies around the world can NOT integrate different cultures and religions the way America has.

Exactly the point I'm trying to convey to pppolitics. Thank you.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 03:35:36 PM »

Most of them would immediately take cash compensation over returning to Israel.

Even if they want to return to Israel, how many of them can afford to buy or rent property in Israel?

They also have to get jobs and pay taxes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2024, 03:40:36 PM »

On a side note, note the poster's actual posting on October 7: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=13804;sa=showPosts;start=575

It's nothing but his standard snippy one-liners and barbs attacking Israel, and not even any of the standard "Oh but I don't support Hamas" disclaimers anywhere. Some even seem to imply that the victims of the Hamas attacks, including children, were responsible for Israel's actions and occupation.

Not exactly helping his case well.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 03:45:10 PM »

On a side note, note the poster's actual posting on October 7: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=13804;sa=showPosts;start=575

It's nothing but his standard snippy one-liners and barbs attacking Israel, and not even any of the standard "Oh but I don't support Hamas" disclaimers anywhere. Some even seem to imply that the victims of the Hamas attacks, including children, were responsible for Israel's actions and occupation.

You are engaging in a bad-faith argument.

I have said multiple times that I didn't support Hamas.

Why would I, an atheist, support an Islam-militant group?
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2024, 04:02:03 PM »

And the posts are full of the "oppressed vs oppressor" social justice language that does nothing but throw the Democratic Party into a ditch.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 04:04:55 PM »

You are engaging in a bad-faith argument.

I have said multiple times that I didn't support Hamas.

Why would I, an atheist, support an Islam-militant group?
Please point me to the post you made on October 7 stating this.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 04:07:45 PM »

"Am I the anti-Semite?

No, it's the Jews who are wrong."
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2024, 04:08:46 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2024, 04:16:25 PM by pppolitics »

Let's say that we have a Palestinian who is a descendant of a Nakba survivor.

He mass-produced yogurt and sold them to supermarkets in the Middle East.

He can easily afford to buy a house in Tel Aviv and pay taxes.

Why shouldn't he be able to "return" to Israel?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2024, 04:09:31 PM »

"Am I the anti-Semite?

No, it's the Jews who are wrong."

Do you speak for every Jewish person?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies